uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ammler
Premium
join:2005-04-19
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to Bob4

Re: Prepaid only?

This means that eventually Verizon will not be offering 3G phones to the Post Paid subs.

Only phones offered will be LTE phones to these folks.

But if you want to go Pre Paid, then you only get to choose 3G phones only.

Have you ever seen the phones offered on their Pre Paid Plans? They suck!

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
They don't offer 3G-only phones to post-paid, except perhaps for some old iPhones they still have in inventory, and they are practically giving those away.

Karl's summary is misleading, LTE customers will always have the ability to fall back to the 3G network, until such time as it is turned off. There is no reason for Verizon to artificially restrict people to the LTE network, even after it achieves 100% coverage.

Post-paid people were allowed to force their phones (or drop back automatically) to the AMPS network until the FCC allowed Verizon to shut it down.

Ammler
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA
Yes they do, it is called the "Basic Phone" section. You can still buy new 3G only phones, for how long is the question.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
Non smartphones don't really count, their data usage is next to nothing, even for those users who use WAP or e-mail. Most won't use data at all, except for the occasional picture message.

Ammler
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA
Ah, I am a Post Paid sub with a basic flip phone, and I most certainly do count.

My wife and I don't want smart phones, and I do use data to check the weather when I'm out and about.

My current phone, Motorola Barrage does everything I want, including playing my iTunes (iPhone what???).