Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to GamerQwest87

MVM

to GamerQwest87

Re: Netalyzer Shows: Uplink 540ms "Excessive Buffering"

• NAT is no big deal. The test was just reporting what it sees.

• Correct. Only one device can act as a NAT. You do not want to "double NAT". So you are OK there.

• The test reported that you are not running Tor in a HTTP exit mode. Tor is an app that hides your identity and and bounces your browsing all over the place to hide where you are. If you are not running Tor, the test looks for it but if it is not found why does the test report on it.

• If you ping a device on your network, you should get a response and not zero (0)ms. run and ipconfig /all in a command prompt and lets see what it says. Post it here.

• In the router, you should see you external IP. The test says your IP is 174.19.152.56 and not 174.26.60.222. The test says that you have a static IP. So, if you are getting 174.26.60.222 as your IP now, then the test is wrong.

• This is what I get for that IP:

Ping has started…

PING 174.26.60.222 (174.26.60.222): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 174.26.60.222: icmp_seq=0 ttl=53 time=64.496 ms
64 bytes from 174.26.60.222: icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=62.877 ms
64 bytes from 174.26.60.222: icmp_seq=2 ttl=53 time=64.945 ms
64 bytes from 174.26.60.222: icmp_seq=3 ttl=53 time=63.127 ms
64 bytes from 174.26.60.222: icmp_seq=4 ttl=53 time=61.777 ms
64 bytes from 174.26.60.222: icmp_seq=5 ttl=53 time=63.568 ms
64 bytes from 174.26.60.222: icmp_seq=6 ttl=53 time=62.809 ms
64 bytes from 174.26.60.222: icmp_seq=7 ttl=53 time=77.710 ms
64 bytes from 174.26.60.222: icmp_seq=8 ttl=53 time=62.370 ms
64 bytes from 174.26.60.222: icmp_seq=9 ttl=53 time=62.655 ms

--- 174.26.60.222 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 61.777/64.633/77.710/4.451 ms

Traceroute has started…

traceroute to 174.26.60.222 (174.26.60.222), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets
1 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 1.064 ms 0.882 ms 0.887 ms
2 10.66.128.1 (10.66.128.1) 23.935 ms 24.290 ms 32.089 ms
3 24-234-16-121.ptp.lvcm.net (24.234.16.121) 8.149 ms 8.623 ms 8.249 ms
4 24-234-6-25.ptp.lvcm.net (24.234.6.25) 8.706 ms 9.279 ms 9.755 ms
5 24-234-6-218.ptp.lvcm.net (24.234.6.218) 10.091 ms 8.604 ms 8.194 ms
6 68.1.5.137 (68.1.5.137) 20.725 ms 21.280 ms 21.775 ms
7 xe-5-1-1.edge2.losangeles9.level3.net (4.53.230.93) 15.146 ms 14.437 ms 14.088 ms
8 ae-2-70.edge1.losangeles9.level3.net (4.69.144.74) 13.693 ms 13.529 ms 13.886 ms
9 lap-brdr-03.inet.qwest.net (63.146.27.33) 49.723 ms 21.201 ms 20.158 ms
10 * * *
11 phnx-dsl-gw62-238.phnx.qwest.net (75.160.237.238) 47.025 ms 55.881 ms 46.449 ms
12 174-26-60-222.phnx.qwest.net (174.26.60.222) 63.442 ms 49.539 ms 49.224 ms

• Has your latency issue got any better or is it the same?
This reminds me of another person who had very similar issue. It turned out that the issue was "bandwidth exhaust/ or router exhaust".
GamerQwest87
join:2012-08-07
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

GamerQwest87

I wanted to try a static IP and see if it'd change anything in terms of open ports and what not. Nothing really changed at all so I switched back.
I've also been turning my router on n off when I change settings in it. That's kind of how it seems to like to run. Every time it does so it changes the external IP address just a little bit. Might be why you're seeing different ones.

I've checked my PC for any malicious software with a few different tools to see if anything might be on my computer hogging my upload. Nothing showed up.

______

It seems, the more I've looked into all of this over the past month, the worse my internet has become.

DSL has always been a pest to me, and I've never seen DSL of any kind to be a form of reliable and workable internet. I've had nothing but the worst experiences with any form of internet connection relating to using phone lines since the 90s. But right now it is the only option I have for internet. I owe on cable.

All I know is my webpages take more than a few moments to begin changing to other pages, responding and beginning to load. My youtube and streaming videos from any sites take very long to load and I'm running on a 12 Mbps download connection, there should be no issues like this happening when I am not using up all of my bandwidth. But it feels like all of my bandwidth often is always used up. Which is a bad feeling when I first turn on my PC, give it time to load up a bit, then try to access the internet with nothing going on and webpages are loading and responding slowly as if I am downloading a massive file and tying up every inch of my bandwidth.

When I first moved in here last July and ordered this service I was able to run online games WHILE running gaming video streams at 720p quality and saw no negative effect what so ever.
I was able to download files on uTorrent at which I would cap it at about 900 KB/s so I could still surf the internet and play video games and it did so perfectly fine.
Now with the same internet I'm having trouble even watching an online stream in 480p without consistent freezing. I've tried different web browsers to see if it were them and to no avail. I'm unable to play video games unless I am absolutely running nothing at all. No web browsers, no downloads, no streamers, nothing. Even then it seems a bit laggy. Yet I used to be able to have a dozen browser pages up, video streams, Skype chats, Facebook, etc and everything ran smoothly even when playing games. Also can't have uTorrent downloading at more than 400 KB/s now without a notice in latency performance.
As of the past couple months I've stopped doing all the above all at once. I can't do it even if I want to. Too laggy now. I'll run a couple things at a time and be dealing with latency problems. Also keep in mind I don't have uTorrent up at all times always downloading, it is up and running to download things at random times usually when I'm not using the internet. Such as when I'm watching movies, eating, etc.
_________

Time of day makes absolutely no difference by the way. Not here, and not for me anyway. Traffic wise of if other people are more actively using the internet or not during the day you know.
In all honesty I've always seen that as more of a myth. While logically it makes sense, and I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never ever seen a difference in DSL performance during day or night. During prime hours or most inactive hours. I've always had the same latency performance at all hours on any DSL I've ever had if I had any issues. If I'm getting some form of delay issue at 5pm? I'm getting the same issue at 2am and 9am later on the next day.

Maybe I have a defective modem?
From my experience any modem/router from the ISP has always been a bad one. Always buggy, always defective, always having problems.
Whether it starts right out the box, or maybe 3 months down the line. Or maybe even half a year.
I've had this modem/router since July 2012.
But I'm not sure if they would send me a replacement modem without charging me. Unless they saw that my modem was indeed defective. But in faulty scenarios like this one the DSL company is always clueless about what's wrong and how to fix it. Usually the modem looks "just fine", on their end. Same with the line. So they'll excuse it. I mean after all I can go to speedtest.net and get low pings on my download and upload. Showing that I'm also around my accurate bandwidth too. So they would see no problems. They can't seem to know how to look past the cover of things.

All I know is I'm getting a bit fed up with DSL technology. There's always something wrong with it at some point in time.

I just want this fixed.

My IP Results from CMD:
quote:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\BlankB>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BlankB
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : (Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 2:42:43 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:42:43 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : xxxxxxx
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . :

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:428::1
2001:428::2
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

You are right; I'll take cable over DSL anytime. I had DSL in NY for about a year or so, and it was a constant pain. All the techs knew be by name and my voice. I called everyday with issues.

Then Cablevision (OOL) came out to my area on the Island, and I had zero issues for 10 years. I have Cox here in LV since 2003 and I have never made a single call to tech support.

I forgot if you said whether or not your speeds were OK.

How do your stats and sync rate look? Can you post that?

Have you tried testing at the NID to see if the same issues are present there?

Try a new MODEM. If it is the same with that one, just return it.

The more we chase our tails, I think that it is "bandwidth exhaust/ or router exhaust".

But, try the above first before throw rocks at CL.
GamerQwest87
Phoenix, AZ

GamerQwest87

Yeah I've had Cox a few times and recently had it for the past year of 2011 into summer of 2012. Had little to no problems what so ever. Everything ran beautifully. Got screwed over by roommates, had to find a new place, couldn't pay the shared bill of Cox and now I'm without it. A damn shame too.

My speeds are running okay overall.
If I want to download a movie or something I can reach a good 1.3 MB/s on uTorrent still.
Speedtest.net shows I'm maxing out at my available bandwidth also.
It just seems like everything is taking awhile to snap into effect. Webpage response times. Video buffering seems to have issues on live streams and youtube these days. And with games I'll have low pings and I can feel the lag of the game. Characters responding a good half second late which means everything in fast paced action games. And often feels like seconds at a time. All issues I didn't experience with Cox. Nor the beginning of this service at CL.

SNR: 30 dB 26 dB
Atten.: 0 dB 0 dB
Power: 16.8 dBm 7.3 dBm

I would believe those stats are good, right? Although a little concerned with my Upload side. Why not enough power is being pushed into it. Regardless of whether or not I'm running a lot of bandwidth on it or not.
______

The modem is also showing the Channel Type being Interleaved.

Now I dealt with an actual ADSL2+ Interleaved connection a few years ago on the eastcoast. And that caused me some really bad delay gaming. I had tried and tried to get the ISP to change my connection over to FastPath and they had no idea how or what I was even talking about. I had called so many times it was ridiculous. The reason I even discovered the difference between Interleaved & FastPath was because of the Verizon forums here that helped me understand it. And I was amazed when I saw that Verizon tech would switch those options on the fly for customers here directly from the forums. And yet the company I had been using, Fairpoint, would do no such thing. Didn't even seem to understand it either.
In the end I never did get it changed.

Now the first time I noticed the delay issues here with CL I had did a check on my modem stats and I saw the Interleaved type in the stats. I talked to online chat tech about it and told them my modem said it was on Interleaved and I did not want it to be on Interleaved.
The tech guy saw my stats, my connection, and the modem I was using and he told me I was running on a VDSL2 connection. He said VDSL does not use Interleaved, "it's impossible". And so he pretty much said not to worry about it, that it's a false status.
I don't know much about VDSL but I can tell you, I almost experience the exact same issue in some online games with this connection that I did with my old Fairpoint ADSL connection on the eastcoast. It never did settle with me. But from what I got from the tech guy, they'd never understand.

I had a theory that perhaps maybe VDSL doesn't run on Interleaved, but what if a modem accidentally by default tries to run data that way anyway? But then again this modem I have is designed for VDSL. However, it does have the ADSL option on it. And while it does show it is running VDSL2 - 8A, since the modem does have the ADSL option, maybe idk it's bugged out and running faulty channel types? It wouldn't surprise me.

I can't access the NID here, I live in an apartment unfortunately. I've got some experience with messing with NID's though from back when I lived in my home on the eastcoast with Fairpoint ISP. But yeah, I believe that may be off limits here in an apartment complex.

I have 2 outlets here in this place. And I tried testing on the one furthest away from the modem and computer. I'll do it again now and post you the result difference from that outlet.

SNR: 32 dB 30 dB
Attenuation: 0 dB 0 dB
Power: 16.8 dBm 1.4 dBm

That's the results in the further away outlet and with a 25 foot phone cord to reach.

Now I don't know how to read signals all too well, so you'll have to tell me which outlet works better for me.
Also, I live right next to a main street near Central so I'm sure once any signal reaches from the apartment to the power lines it goes flying fast from there.
zevus
join:2010-11-29
Chandler, TX

zevus

Why is it showing your attenuation as 0dB?

My SNR has always run around 9-10.5, basically borderline. I've never had any problems with it until the recent oversold condition, though.

SNR Margin (dB): 9.9 10.0 SNR Margin (dB): 9.9 9.3
Attenuation (dB): 29.5 15.0 Attenuation (dB):29.5 15.1

in your case? it looks like oversold to me. it's pretty easy to test, just ping that first hop for a day

oh, run dnsbench or something and get some better DNS's also
GamerQwest87
Phoenix, AZ

GamerQwest87

My theory would be that because I'm right next to a main road and connected through fiber optic lines somewhere at one point? That's my guess anyway. I wanted to know what VDSL was and from descriptions its the use of phone line conversion to fiber optic lines? Which are said to be fast right?

Please correct me if I'm not even remotely correct. I'm not a network kind of guy so I'm just throwing out what I tried to piece together.
I'd still think that there be need for SOME form of dB though, even just 1-2 in attenuation. Afterall, I don't live right on the telco.

I'll do DNSbenchmark.