Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

EddieT

join:2010-01-16
Dubuque, IA
reply to kb0nly

Re: [Cable HSI] Wifi question

can't say I was happy with the cisco router I bought at the store, you guys should stock netgear, never had a problem with that brand.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:103

Thank you for the recommendation.

Has the service been setup for your grandmother?

EddieT

Dubuque, IA

Not yet, she still has to buy a tablet. But I have another question.

Will mediacom set up wifi if she has her own router (instead of renting one from you)? And will the tech connect a PS3 and kindle fire to the wifi once set up?

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Unfortunately we would not have access to the wireless router so we could not set that up remotely. Technicians are not required to set up additional equipment.

EddieT

Dubuque, IA

how much does it cost for renting a router?

StreatorTech

join:2009-12-02
Streator, IL
reply to MediacomChad

From my experience, it depends on the tech doing the install if they will set up a personally owned router. I used to do it for customers, but I do not any longer as we offer a wifi product and I see that as a conflict of interest.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:1

said by StreatorTech:

From my experience, it depends on the tech doing the install if they will set up a personally owned router. I used to do it for customers, but I do not any longer as we offer a wifi product and I see that as a conflict of interest.

I still do it. Why not?
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

EddieT

Dubuque, IA
reply to StreatorTech

by conflict of interest, you mean your pocket books then I can see that being a problem.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

By default, techs are advised not to install third party routers as we do not support them and cannot guarantee that they will be setup properly. If the tech that comes out knows how to set it up and is willing to then it is up to him as to whether or not he wants to.