uniqs
share rss forum feed

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to rfhar

Re: Windows 8's usage uptake falls further behind Vista's

That shouldn't come as a big surprise. The UI of Win8 on traditional PCs is so different that people have trouble using it, and this is especially true for people who had been using older versions. MS should've known this, but in their infinite wisdom they figured they can force people to learn and use a completely new interface, and that doesn't seem to go very well. They should've provided a several options for UI with one of them being Win 7 compatible.

IMHO, this is a real shame because the underlying OS is actually better than Win7, but that matters very little for people who don't buy it, or get frustrated with it.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

sf_win7

@microshaft.org

said by aurgathor:

IMHO, this is a real shame because the underlying OS is actually better than Win7, but that matters very little for people who don't buy it, or get frustrated with it.

What is better in Win8 comparing with Win7? I mean better in real-life scenarios, something like software development, design and similar (WORK related aspects)? I still don't get it. Except an attempt to push mobile OS + desktop OS as one bundle (literally earn more money by spending less), make people believe in BS "mobile revolution" so more useless devices are sold to Facebook generation I don't see a real value in Win8.

IMHO while money and profit (spend less (or close to nothing) == steal more) rule the world true innovations and creation of truly solid + usable products is just a fantasy.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

said by sf_win7 :

What is better in Win8 comparing with Win7?

Win8 is faster, for one. May also be more stable, but I need some more experience to be certain about that.

Of course these aren't enough to mitigate the UI disaster, but give credit where it's due.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2

said by aurgathor:

said by sf_win7 :

What is better in Win8 comparing with Win7?

Win8 is faster, for one. May also be more stable, but I need some more experience to be certain about that.

Of course these aren't enough to mitigate the UI disaster, but give credit where it's due.

There are tons of major improvements in Windows 8. I mentioned them here, but there are a lot more. »Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 - best to pass it up: review Read more: ht The UI is fixable for almost anyone who reads these threads. Fixable may be too strong a word. Adjustable may be more appropriate. It is just a shame it takes a third party to make that happen.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

said by Kramer:

There are tons of major improvements in Windows 8. I mentioned them here, but there are a lot more. »Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 - best to pass it up: review Read more: ht The UI is fixable for almost anyone who reads these threads. Fixable may be too strong a word. Adjustable may be more appropriate. It is just a shame it takes a third party to make that happen.

Something that bothers me there. I know beta testing preferred none of the bells and whistles initially provided by third parties, skins especially.
While 90% of people won't work that way, functionality for some may change that ratio.
Then other companies testing for new software becomes harder for it too. Hence everything becomes harder to get right for developers.

The KISS principle rears it's head in a discussion again. Long lost to the past somewhere.

/Just a thought.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to Kramer

I don't feel it's a good example to throw money at something which was not designed well. If people bought Win 8, and fixed the ui Microsoft still might think it's a success never to actually have to learn from their mistake which they were repeated told was a problem during the beta. This is what they get for not listening to the people who buy their products.

Metro should have just been like another shell for the desktop, or simply something like media center which also again didn't always have to be run as fullscreen, with metro apps also not being forced fullscreen. Crappy fullscreen apps on large monitors are not where it's at. For a portable device with limited computing power maybe, but not the desktop.

I'd rather load a ubuntu vm, and play it's built in games than load those fullscreen metro monstrosities.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

said by BlitzenZeus:

I don't feel it's a good example to throw money at something which was not designed well. If people bought Win 8, and fixed the ui Microsoft still might think it's a success never to actually have to learn from their mistake which they were repeated told was a problem during the beta. This is what they get for not listening to the people who buy their products.

Concur. They've started not listening to people with pushing ribbon in their Office products. And a result, people start looking for a third party products, that remove the ribbon... That lesson was just wasted, as we see it now.

Metro should have just been like another shell for the desktop, or simply something like media center which also again didn't always have to be run as fullscreen, with metro apps also not being forced fullscreen. Crappy fullscreen apps on large monitors are not where it's at. For a portable device with limited computing power maybe, but not the desktop.

Or it could be just a program, that runs in common desktop, shows those tiles inside its window and run apps within that frame too... One may call it "My Phone Apps". And if it's desired, double click on its title and run it full screen...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

Media center was just a program, it could be ran fullscreen or windowed just like metro apps should be. It would be easy to make a smaller version of the metro start menu like the previous one, and make the metro apps run windowed, they just didn't do it. While they were at it they could add the shutdown options next to the logout command also, and the majority of the complaints would be gone.

A pet peeve is still how you must use the metro control panel to make new user accounts, and then use the desktop control panel to make those users into an administrator, that's just poor design. Due to the possibility of your only administrator account getting corrupted I always have two.

It would be easy to fix this new ui to please the majority.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

Yes, it would be. But the company is managed by a Big Bull now. Thus I expect no change at all, until shareholders finally realize and fix it...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL

1 edit
reply to OZO

said by OZO:

Or it could be just a program, that runs in common desktop, shows those tiles inside its window and run apps within that frame too... One may call it "My Phone Apps". And if it's desired, double click on its title and run it full screen...

When I read that, I think of the Windows Vista and Windows 7 "Gadgets". They were, as far as I could tell, "Live Tiles" that would update on a set schedule. If you clicked on it, it took you to a web page where you could see more information.

I loved the Weather Gadget that came with Windows 7. It sat in the top right corner of my desktop, and it told me exactly what I needed to know. If I wanted a bit more information (5 day outlook, radar, info for a different city, etc), all I had to do was click on it, and it took me to a web page where all that and more was available to me.

Makes me wonder why they dumped "Windows Gadgets" and went with "Live tiles" instead, as to me, they appear to be one in the same.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

1 recommendation

They actually thought people would look at that acid trip of a metro start menu, and not a desktop with a nice wallpaper. There's also no option to put a wallpaper on the metro start screen to make it nicer.