Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to Dodge

to Dodge

Re: Some pre-purchase renovation questions

said by Dodge:

said by Draiman:

Forgot about the city taxes on the pool. If it's in-ground then it is permanent and subject to taxes. If it's above-ground it's personal property and not subject to taxes.

Another thing to look for is if there is a fence around the pool. If not good luck down the road.

What's up with the fence?

No fence most of the time means the insurance company won't pay any liability cases that a fence would have prevented so you'll be personally held responsible should a kid wonder into the pool and die for example or someone's dog wonders off and falls into your pool.
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge

Premium Member

What if the property itself is fenced in? Do you still need another fence around the pool?

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by Dodge:

What if the property itself is fenced in? Do you still need another fence around the pool?

You still need a pool fence. A yard fence doesn't do anything for the pool.

"The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals has developed a model barrier code for residential swimming pools, spas, and hot tubs; this code has been approved by the American National Standards Institute.

B.O.C.A. pool safety standards:
The International Code Council (I.C.C.), more often known by their former name, the Building Officials and Code Administrators (B.O.C.A.), outline strong safety standards for swimming pool fences. In an effort to eliminate or reduce the accidental drowning of children, these standards have been recognized by many communities throughout the world.

Here are the highlights of the B.O.C.A./I.C.C. pool safety standards:
1. The fence must be a minimum of 48" tall (or taller, depending on distance between horizontal rails).
2. The middle horizontal rail must be at least 45" above the bottom horizontal rail (to prevent using the horizontal rails as a kind of ladder for climbing).
3. The spacing between pickets must be less than 4".
4. If space between pickets is less than 13รข„4, rule #2 does not apply and fence does not have to be taller than 48 (because the tighter picket spacing has made climbing much more difficult).
5. The space between the bottom horizontal rail and the ground must be less than 2".
6. The gate(s) must be self-closing and self-latching.
7. The gate(s) need to open outward (away from the pool area).
8. The operating mechanism of the latch must be at least 54" from the bottom of the gate or it shall be on the pool side of the gate at least 3 inches below the top AND shall not have any opening greater than 1/2 inch within 18 inches of the release mechanism."

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Dodge

Mod

to Dodge
said by Dodge:

Check with your local code department.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

said by robbin:

said by Dodge:

Check with your local code department.

Bingo - requirements for a fence all depends on the locality. My dad has an inground pool and he does not need a fence by code. It is far enough off the road there is no requirement for a fence. His insurance does not break the bank either.