uniqs
share rss forum feed

WiMax

join:2003-07-12
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

When will START speed match Cogeco?

My understanding of the 2011 CRTC ruling with respect to TPIA was that they must speed match the incumbent? Cogeco currently offers 6/10/20/30/60 mbps. Start offers 4/20/30/55 that only matches two packages and they don't have 10mbps which is what I would prefer. Also, Cogeco's u/l speeds are all faster. Will Start be speed matching soon?

Can someone from Start address this question?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

We're still waiting for confirmation on the date at this point, should be soon. We won't be offering the 10Mbps plan though, our standard package is the 20Mbps plan now with the basic tier below that at 4Mbps, soon going to 6Mbps.

WiMax

Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by rocca:

We're still waiting for confirmation on the date at this point, should be soon. We won't be offering the 10Mbps plan though, our standard package is the 20Mbps plan now with the basic tier below that at 4Mbps, soon going to 6Mbps.

Thanks for the reply. I have the 10mbps and it's the sweet spot for me - right speed and bandwidth. I'm trying to save some money and even though your 20mbps is faster, I don't need it and overall I'll only save $5/mo.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
reply to WiMax

I get that the start page can be "hard" to find, I went through that with Electronic Box but is there any reason that representatives from that company that respond here do not try to direct people to it to create more exposure?

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by Dunlop:

I get that the start page can be "hard" to find, I went through that with Electronic Box but is there any reason that representatives from that company that respond here do not try to direct people to it to create more exposure?

The goal is to have the Start forum placed in the main "Canadian" forum group section. I do not know what needs to be done in this regard. Perhaps the mods are waiting to see if traffic from the current Start ad-hoc forum will be consistent enough to place it in the main Canadian section.

Simple answr

@videotron.ca
reply to Dunlop

said by Dunlop:

is there any reason that representatives from that company that respond here do not try to direct people to it to create more exposure?

They don't want to.

Toastertech
Premium
join:2003-01-05
Canada
reply to WiMax

Rocca, when the basic tier goes to 6Mbps will the price remain the same and will there still be an unlimited option?

WiMax

Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Dunlop

said by Dunlop:

Dunlop, Start doesn't own this forum and DLSR will give them their own forum when they are ready to. It's very easy to find ANY thread about ANY company, simply use the search box at the top of any page. Want to find out about Start? Type "start". How hard can that be?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Toastertech

said by Toastertech:

Rocca, when the basic tier goes to 6Mbps will the price remain the same and will there still be an unlimited option?

Not 100% sure yet, but probably.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Simple answr

said by Simple answr :

said by Dunlop:

is there any reason that representatives from that company that respond here do not try to direct people to it to create more exposure?

They don't want to.

We actually have no agenda. We simply are here to help answer questions and what the mods want or don't want is up to them. We aren't here to try and tell people where to post. If the questions come up in the main forum we answer them, if they come up in the adhoc forum we answer those too. This is the value we try to bring back to DSLR. Personally I don't understand why the mods don't create specifically targeted forums at the request their members (not just for us of course) but it's not my place to make that decision and I'm sure they have reasons for it.

dan mackay

join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON
reply to WiMax

I assume that 20 Mbit is always 16 Mbit (or whatever the 16 Mbit plan is) in the non docsis3 cogeco areas

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
reply to WiMax

Do you have a rough idea on changing 55 to 60? Will it be the same cost and will the bandwidth go up?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

said by coaxguy:

Do you have a rough idea on changing 55 to 60? Will it be the same cost and will the bandwidth go up?

Not 100% sure yet, but likely same price/usage. Unless the CRTC decision comes out before then...

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to WiMax

said by WiMax:

My understanding of the 2011 CRTC ruling with respect to TPIA was that they must speed match the incumbent? Cogeco currently offers 6/10/20/30/60 mbps. Start offers 4/20/30/55 that only matches two packages and they don't have 10mbps which is what I would prefer. Also, Cogeco's u/l speeds are all faster. Will Start be speed matching soon?

Can someone from Start address this question?

New speeds are in affect now. Current customers will be automatically moved to the new speeds (4Mbps -> 6Mbps and 55Mbps -> 60Mbps), just need to reboot the modem.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit

said by rocca:

....Current customers will be automatically moved to the new speeds (4Mbps -> 6Mbps and 55Mbps -> 60Mbps)....

I see that the START website has already been updated to reflect these new speeds in Cogeco-Land.

6/1.5/100 is pretty respectable for something called 'BASIC' - Surely blows away typical DSL, especially the 1.5 Mbps UPLOAD speed !

(and also not expensive)

Celery

join:2004-01-19
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·ikTel Networks
reply to rocca

said by rocca:

That's too bad. The 10Mbps plan, like WiMax See Profile said above, is the sweet spot for me. I'm not willing to drop to 6Mbps.

If you offered 10Mbps, I would switch ASAP.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Thanks for the feedback. The existing packages are pretty granular already (ie $10 steps) but after the CBB decision we'll see how that effects things and re-evaluate.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits

said by rocca:

....The existing packages are pretty granular already (ie $10 steps), but after the CBB decision we'll see how that effects things and re-evaluate.

Yes, there are pros & cons when deciding how many packages to offer.

PROS : Flexibility, fitting more (or less) folks' niches and budgets.

CONS : Confusion, cost of administration, billing errors/misunderstandings.

I too thought that START dropping the 'OLD Standard' tier was not such a good an idea at first, and then also reassigning the name to a much faster tier.

It reminds me of Timmies rotating the names for their coffee cup sizes last year.

However, now that the lowest tier has been boosted to 6/1.5 , it sort of compensates a bit for that - except the cap is still 100 GB - though even with their recent increase of 100%, look at how little cap that GOUGEco delivers for that tier ! - 30 GB ! - So is 100 GB all that bad ?

The only retail tier which Cogeco offers which seems to be redundant is their 14Mbps tier - almost same as their 20 tier in all respects, even price.

Even for THEM, the 10Mbps tier seems to serve a purpose.

10 supports STREAMING much better than 6 does.

Would there be a fair enough price point available if START were to [even now] offer a package of (for example) 10/1.5/150 ?

Possibly $34.95 per month ?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

We knew the 4Mbps to 6Mbps was coming which helped make that decision easier. As for the 100GB on Basic, that is why it's basic and at $30 it's pretty hard to beat - even so, the vast majority (of non-DSLR users ) are well under 100GB still. As you correctly point out, too many packages ends up with another set of issues and with Cogeco side we can't bump up 50GB of capacity and the difference in circuit cost for $5, just not viable unfortunately - even doing 10Mbps with 100GB it's unlikely it'd work at $34.95. Once CBB changes we'll have a chance re-evaluate and see what we can put together.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by rocca:

....Once CBB changes we'll have a chance re-evaluate and see what we can put together.

Based upon past experience, I know that I'd better get my fire extinguisher ready for after I make this next statement, but I'd rather we still had UBB for billing between the incumbents and the Indies.

Aside from the rates themselves being stupid, with UBB it was FAR easier for an Indie ISP to figure out where everyone stood when defining what packages to offer, IMNSHO.

UBB itself is not a bad thing in principle.

Just the greed-inflated rates [for it] from the incumbents were, and I stated this many times here during that phase of things.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

BTW, here are START's latest packages for Cogeco-Land, where they have now matched one or another of Cogeco's 6 latest plans on speeds in each of the 4 plans which START currently offers.

Naturally, in each case, START's monthly usage cap is higher and their price per month and UBB on any excess usage per GB are lower, on any plan of a given speed.

And NO CONTRACTS/BUNDLES/COMMITTMENTS are needed to get the advertised prices with START.

»Start Communications - 2013 Feb Cogeco-Land Packages
--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

Just something that i have been Wondering, IF the baserate for the speeds are so close anyways, why Force someone who wants a faster base connection to get more cap? or vice versa? maybe u want a highcap but prefer a slower connection?

For example Someone might want a 60mpbs connection for ultimate pings All they do is play Counterstrike so don't need more than 100gig, with the baserate before capacity being Simmilar? or no? why force someone into a 400 gig pack? ?

You serve the opposite end ie 6 Mbps Unlimited bandwidth. just a thought p:)
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

said by morisato:

Just something that i have been Wondering, IF the baserate for the speeds are so close anyways, why Force someone who wants a faster base connection to get more cap? or vice versa? maybe u want a highcap but prefer a slower connection ? ....

That's a point which I have raised and lamented to all Internet providers for years....

It should be done a-la-carte :

(1) Pick a speed - there's your base price.

(2) Pick a cap - add such-and-such more dollars (it may be necessarily to NOT have an equal priced cost increase for enlarging the base cap of each speed, but at least there would be more choice, and the various combo choices could be presented in a table for easier understanding)

(3) Add a modem if needed

(4) Add the tax, for the final total

EASY !

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

WOW! Innovation! Who would have thought to do that?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to morisato

The problem is the CBB rate is too inflated to be able to offer a package where every customer uses right up to the top of the cap. Instead we have to rely on averages, setting a high enough cap that 99% of users don't have to worry about going over (ie essentially unlimited for the vast majority of typical users) yet puts some limit on losses for us. Currently in the aggregated model, every customer that uses their full quota is a significant loss for us, ie 3 digits in Cogeco territories. Hopefully the CRTC decision is soon and gets the rate right, if so things could change for the better, but until then we can only absorb so much in the way of losses.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable

said by rocca:

The problem is the CBB rate is too inflated to be able to offer a package where every customer uses right up to the top of the cap. Instead we have to rely on averages, setting a high enough cap that 99% of users don't have to worry about going over (ie essentially unlimited for the vast majority of typical users) yet puts some limit on losses for us. Currently in the aggregated model, every customer that uses their full quota is a significant loss for us, ie 3 digits in Cogeco territories. Hopefully the CRTC decision is soon and gets the rate right, if so things could change for the better, but until then we can only absorb so much in the way of losses.

how does the new unlimited option from bell and soon to be rogers affect the cbb

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by vincom:

how does the new unlimited option from bell and soon to be rogers affect the cbb

Or the question you need to ask yourself is: What made Bell and now likely Rogers offer those unlimited options ? Could it be that they already have an idea of what the new CBB rates are going to be, and now they need to get a head start on retaining as mainly customers as possible, before the new CBB rates are announced (and before losing even more customers to the independent ISP's, especially if the new CBB rates will be favourable to those IISPs ?)

Gami00

join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to vincom

it doesn't affect anything. CBB rates have no relation to Retail offerings of the incumbents.

about the only thing to glean from the new $30 unlimited offering is that new CBB rates are about to be set, and bell/rogers had to put out their offerings before people jump ship when CBB rates are finally released.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to vincom

said by vincom:

It means that now more than ever these rates better be correct. If they continue to be rewarded with super-compensatory rates then it will be devastating for competition.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by rocca:

said by vincom:

It means that now more than ever these rates better be correct.

If they continue to be rewarded with super-compensatory rates then it will be devastating for competition.

Quite true, but remember that at least in Bell's current retail offer, they want anywhere from $10 to $30 extra monthly from each of their sheeple, er, I mean customers, for the privilege of not having to pay attention any more to their flawed usage meter.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.