Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Re: When will START speed match Cogeco?

BTW, here are START's latest packages for Cogeco-Land, where they have now matched one or another of Cogeco's 6 latest plans on speeds in each of the 4 plans which START currently offers.

Naturally, in each case, START's monthly usage cap is higher and their price per month and UBB on any excess usage per GB are lower, on any plan of a given speed.

And NO CONTRACTS/BUNDLES/COMMITTMENTS are needed to get the advertised prices with START.

»Start Communications - 2013 Feb Cogeco-Land Packages
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Just something that i have been Wondering, IF the baserate for the speeds are so close anyways, why Force someone who wants a faster base connection to get more cap? or vice versa? maybe u want a highcap but prefer a slower connection?

For example Someone might want a 60mpbs connection for ultimate pings All they do is play Counterstrike so don't need more than 100gig, with the baserate before capacity being Simmilar? or no? why force someone into a 400 gig pack? ?

You serve the opposite end ie 6 Mbps Unlimited bandwidth. just a thought p:)

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by morisato:

Just something that i have been Wondering, IF the baserate for the speeds are so close anyways, why Force someone who wants a faster base connection to get more cap? or vice versa? maybe u want a highcap but prefer a slower connection ? ....

That's a point which I have raised and lamented to all Internet providers for years....

It should be done a-la-carte :

(1) Pick a speed - there's your base price.

(2) Pick a cap - add such-and-such more dollars (it may be necessarily to NOT have an equal priced cost increase for enlarging the base cap of each speed, but at least there would be more choice, and the various combo choices could be presented in a table for easier understanding)

(3) Add a modem if needed

(4) Add the tax, for the final total

EASY !
Phorkster
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

Phorkster

Premium Member

WOW! Innovation! Who would have thought to do that?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to morisato

Premium Member

to morisato
The problem is the CBB rate is too inflated to be able to offer a package where every customer uses right up to the top of the cap. Instead we have to rely on averages, setting a high enough cap that 99% of users don't have to worry about going over (ie essentially unlimited for the vast majority of typical users) yet puts some limit on losses for us. Currently in the aggregated model, every customer that uses their full quota is a significant loss for us, ie 3 digits in Cogeco territories. Hopefully the CRTC decision is soon and gets the rate right, if so things could change for the better, but until then we can only absorb so much in the way of losses.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom

said by rocca:

The problem is the CBB rate is too inflated to be able to offer a package where every customer uses right up to the top of the cap. Instead we have to rely on averages, setting a high enough cap that 99% of users don't have to worry about going over (ie essentially unlimited for the vast majority of typical users) yet puts some limit on losses for us. Currently in the aggregated model, every customer that uses their full quota is a significant loss for us, ie 3 digits in Cogeco territories. Hopefully the CRTC decision is soon and gets the rate right, if so things could change for the better, but until then we can only absorb so much in the way of losses.

how does the new unlimited option from bell and soon to be rogers affect the cbb

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

said by vincom:

how does the new unlimited option from bell and soon to be rogers affect the cbb

Or the question you need to ask yourself is: What made Bell and now likely Rogers offer those unlimited options ? Could it be that they already have an idea of what the new CBB rates are going to be, and now they need to get a head start on retaining as mainly customers as possible, before the new CBB rates are announced (and before losing even more customers to the independent ISP's, especially if the new CBB rates will be favourable to those IISPs ?)
Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

Gami00 to vincom

to vincom
it doesn't affect anything. CBB rates have no relation to Retail offerings of the incumbents.

about the only thing to glean from the new $30 unlimited offering is that new CBB rates are about to be set, and bell/rogers had to put out their offerings before people jump ship when CBB rates are finally released.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to vincom

Premium Member

to vincom
said by vincom:

It means that now more than ever these rates better be correct. If they continue to be rewarded with super-compensatory rates then it will be devastating for competition.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by rocca:

said by vincom:

It means that now more than ever these rates better be correct.

If they continue to be rewarded with super-compensatory rates then it will be devastating for competition.

Quite true, but remember that at least in Bell's current retail offer, they want anywhere from $10 to $30 extra monthly from each of their sheeple, er, I mean customers, for the privilege of not having to pay attention any more to their flawed usage meter.
Phorkster
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

Phorkster to WiMax

Premium Member

to WiMax
But its still Bell, and you couldn't pay me enough for that slop.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Phorkster:

But it's still Bell, and you couldn't pay me enough for that slop.

I would never deal directly with Bell again (my last times ended in 2008 and 2009, phone and Internet respectively ), and while I would CONSIDER DSL type service again, there would be no reason to do so, as long as my Cogeco feed here stays solid, and START continues to treat me well on service thru it.

As per my left margin statement : No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages". (which is a parody of an old AMEX ad hook)