how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JeremyV

@charter.com

[Speed Issues] 8 bonded channels + gaming

I actually have 2 inquiries:

1. I was trying to figure out if buying this modem ( »www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control···=details ) would give me more consistent downstream bandwidth and if it even supported by Charter at this moment.

2. I play FPS games whilst being connected directly to my modem and tend to have lag spikes that no one else feels and I seem to die in one bullet. Namely, in games like Black Ops 2. I have spoken with techs and had them come out to my house and they found no issues on my line. I was wondering if upgrading to the modem earlier in this post would help to rid me some of those issues.

BTW, I live in Auburn, Alabama where Charter pretty much has a Monopoly, so Im guessing that the nodes just STAY congested here. I would change ISPs, but my only other option is AT&T DSL and that is a no-go for me.

ryu4000

join:2006-11-18
Picayune, MS
Don't worry everyone has that issue black ops 2 network code is just p2p and horrible charter nor any isp can help you not lag in the game .play something like bf3 or another game you see you don't lag at all.This been going on people complaining to isp cause of bad network code from cod games.

mj3431

join:2003-04-21
STL, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to JeremyV
Charter is supplying modems to all customers moving forward, so they likely won't allow you to buy/connect your own modem. Also, most areas currently support 4 downstream channels and (typically) yes this would result in a more consistent experience.

This may not be the case if your area simply suffers from congestion however. Check to see if you already have a DOCSIS 3 modem, and if not consider asking charter for one that is.

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to JeremyV
said by JeremyV :

1. I was trying to figure out if buying this modem ( »www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control···=details ) would give me more consistent downstream bandwidth and if it even supported by Charter at this moment.

I would check the Charter website to see if that modem will work:
»www.myaccount.charter.com/custom···eid=2623

As for improving your game play that's unknown, unless someone in your area, has used it... and will chime in. Location/equipment have so much to do with our experiences.

I forgot, as Viper mentioned, they may not let you switch modems for yourself. The customer owned modems they have allowed to stay in most locations were already provisioned.

Yuuan

join:2013-01-03
Nome, AK
reply to JeremyV
Charter no longer supports customer owned modems.

Also the state of Alabama only has 4 bonded DOCSIS QAMs for right now...that will change later on the year in some areas.

Jerm

join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
kudos:2
reply to JeremyV
Do you have friends/relatives using your line at the same time for say Netflix or something? If not, faster speeds or new modem won't do anything.

You need to start charting your latency (delay) to see where the problem lies:

- Download PingPlotter (standard)
- Load it up, change it to ping once per second unlimited intervals and ping say www.google.com
- Graph the latency to a few hops, see where the fluctuations start

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to JeremyV
2 reason why you don't want that modem.

1. Charter WILL NOT provision it, is the main one.

2. It's a combo router/modem unit which we all know are crap!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

OPdidntlogin

@charter.com
reply to JeremyV
Well that sucks. I already have a docsis 3 modem. The SB6121. And Charter has pretty much monopolized my area. I play with my modem directly connected to my xbox. No bridges, APs, or routers and it lags to hell and back. Not rubberbanding, but more of a shoot first, dont miss, and still die ordeal. BF3 is fun, but WAY to slow paced for me to get any real enjoyment out of it. Anyway, thanks for the replies.

ryu4000

join:2006-11-18
Picayune, MS
said by OPdidntlogin :

Well that sucks. I already have a docsis 3 modem. The SB6121. And Charter has pretty much monopolized my area. I play with my modem directly connected to my xbox. No bridges, APs, or routers and it lags to hell and back. Not rubberbanding, but more of a shoot first, dont miss, and still die ordeal. BF3 is fun, but WAY to slow paced for me to get any real enjoyment out of it. Anyway, thanks for the replies.

What you seeing is call of duty crappy network code if you play using dsl you do better then cable users only on this game that why i stop buying call of duty cause it the same game every year with same network issues.
Expand your moderator at work