All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ScottFrmDnvr
@qwest.net

ScottFrmDnvr

Anon

[Qwest] ISP disconnects? CL says to buy a new router! Really?

Like several posters here, my router reports 'DSL: Connected' but 'ISP: Not connected' a few times a day. Often, a reboot of the router results in a good connection, but the reboot process may be giving them enough time to fix their problem. I have no way to know.

I recently upgraded to 'up to 12m service.' After a call to CL, my router reports 12122kbps most of the time.

When the disconnects were coming unusually thick and fast this morning, I started a chat (during a connected period) with a CL technician. They said that my Actiontec GT-701-wg does just that when pushed above 7m, which is in direct contradiction to what I was told here on this board and by the CL techs who sold me on the broadband upgrade.

Anyway, I smelled some upselling going on, so I thought I'd come here and ask: does the GT-701 really spontaneously disconnect from the ISP if it's running over 7mps? Is the ISP used by Qwest.net having intermittent outages in the Denver area?

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Re: [Qwest] ISP disconnects? CL says to buy a new router! Really

Have you looked at the modems system log?
It may provide clues to the cause of the disconnects
Scott Heath
join:2005-07-25
Denver, CO

Scott Heath

I don't see any clues there, although I can't be sure the log I'm looking at is the one you meant. The modem status page offers seven different reports... which one do you mean?

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

I think it's titiled system log it should have messages about sync rates, the pppoe session, ethernet status, dhcp status.
Scott Heath
Denver, CO

Scott Heath

Maybe 'system log' isn't kept until I set it up. All those values you mentioned (sync rate, ppoe session, ethernet status, dchp status) are shown on demand, but the router does not appear to keep them in a log file.

Anyway, from your experience (and that of anyone here!), is it plausible that a GT701 router could intermittently misbehave due to a 12mbps load? It seems fine most of the time...

I'm just naturally suspicious of the 'whatever your problem, give us more money and all will be well' sales pitch. OTOH, if they could be right, it may be time to cough up the cost of a modern router.

Any ideas?

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by Scott Heath:

Maybe 'system log' isn't kept until I set it up. All those values you mentioned (sync rate, pppoe session, ethernet status, dchp status) are shown on demand, but the router does not appear to keep them in a log file.

Okay........
said by Scott Heath:

is it plausible that a GT701 router could intermittently misbehave due to a 12mbps load?

Yes, anything is plausible when there is speculation

It's also plausible that the dsl line gets noisy enough to interfere with the pppoe session
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to Scott Heath

to Scott Heath
Hey Scott, this is B with the CenturyLink Help Team. I'll be happy to help with issues you may be having with your modem. Send me your information via our online webform, and I'll take a look: »bit.ly/IArNlt

Thanks Scott,
B
CenturyLink Help Team

ScottFrmDvr
@qwest.net

ScottFrmDvr

Anon

Re: [Qwest] ISP disconnects?

All the relevant details are in these posts, but I guess I'd like to know if I really do need to go through the process of installing a new router to avoid these random disconnects.
Scott Heath
Denver, CO

Scott Heath

CL sent a line tech today, and he said he'd isolated my DSL to the jack that had the modem/router. My speeds are back up (at least as reported on the device's status page), and no disconnects so far.

Before the tech came, I got a call from the local CL office, which had been alerted by B, and the local guy pointed out that lowering the speed increases the signal strength, so we set it to 5mbps for the weekend, and I had no disconnects.

Now it is back to 12, and we'll see if it stays connected.