All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

1 edit

15444104 (banned)

Cancelling service because price is too high!

I currently am a Charter internet only customer.

I've done what I can to remain a Charter customer by attempting to even contact the Executive VP of Customer Operations,
Kathleen Mayo, by e mail, and explaining how the lack of choice in service tiers is preventing me from continuing service with the company due to the "take it or leave it" option of 30mb or nothing at all is too expensive for my budget and I have no use for such high speeds in any case.

I had a CSR from Charter offices in Spartanburg, SC call me back indicating that he would look into the situation and get back to me.

He followed up and informed me that there is NOTHING else they can do for me. I can keep me current 15mb service at 47.99 or pay 2 bucks more (49.99) and get 30mb service. Neither of which I want or need and my budget will not allow for such high prices either.

The price increase for me will be an ASTOUNDING 50% if I was to stay with Charter. Which is NOT ACCEPTABLE, PERIOD.

I will NOT be paying for the CEO, Mr. Tom Rutledge to be choppered back and forth between his office and home in the tri state area. LOL

I informed the CSR that I will be cancelling my service the day before the price increase which is currently 24.99 and going with ATT DSL service for 15.99 a mo for 6 months and only 30/mo after since at least that comes a bit close to meeting my needs.

I hope more customers put their money where their mouth is and cancel when those huge price increases come into effect with no other options from Charter.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Did you have a promo price? You cant have that forever. Like you said. You have a take it or leave it option. They are not forcing you and many others will continue to pay regardless. Lose 1 gain 1.
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned)

You didn't read my full post, or previous posts.

I was ORIGINALLY on the internet lite tier at 20/mo. Then about six months later Charter was going to raise that price by 5$/mo to 25$/mo. I called into Charter and said that price increase seemed very high (25%!) and I didn't know if I would stay with them because of it. The CSR then offered me 15mb at that 25$/mo price. I said I didn't need the extra speed of 15mb but since I was getting more service for the 5$ I accepted the offer, the CSR mentioned that when that offer was up in 1 yr I could call in and revert to my old 3mb Internet Lite tier at the 25$/mo price.

Logically speaking it makes more business sense to keep a customer that makes Charter a little profit, than lose that customer ENTIRELY and end up with NO profit at all.

It won't cost me anything in the end because I don't need that speed or want to pay 50 bucks a month for service.

When I get ATT DSL I will SAVE 70% compared to the new Charter price for 6 months, and 35% after that period even with a regular every day price.

I win. Charter loses a customer.

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon to 15444104

Anon

to 15444104

Re: Cancelling service because price is too high!

said by 15444104:

I informed the CSR that I will be cancelling my service the day before the price increase which is currently 24.99 and going with ATT DSL service for 15.99 a mo for 6 months and only 30/mo after since at least that comes a bit close to meeting my needs.

and in 6 months you'll be back when at&t refuses to extend you're promo and you're paying nearly $50 for less than half the speed charter provides you.

At&t wants $46 for 6 meg AND a $6 month equipment fee charge. what a deal.
15444104 (banned)

1 edit

15444104 (banned)

No, I won't..... you KNOW I won't because I mentioned before (and I know you read my previous posts) that ALL I NEED is the basic 768kb/128kb plan and the promo price is just 16$/mo and thereafter just 30$/mo ...and THAT IS THE EVERYDAY REGULAR PRICE....it beats charter's take it or leave it tier by 35% or a bit more....if like myself you don't need high speed service.

As far as equipment you can BUY and own the ATT/Motorola DSL modem with my Walmart gift card I got for Christmas from work it will cost me only 15 bucks out of pocket. LOL.

You do NOT pay a monthly fee for DSL modem usage.

As I've mentioned before...I AM NOT PAYING FOR SERVICE THAT I DON'T NEED AND CANNOT AFFORD.

There are many times when I am not even home for MONTHS at a time so that is more money down the drain for expensive service that I don't need or want in the first place.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to 15444104

to 15444104
Did you talk to Michael Henry?
said by 15444104:

I've done what I can to remain a Charter customer by attempting to even contact the Executive VP of Customer Operations,
Kathleen Mayo, by e mail,
I had a CSR from Charter offices in Spartanburg, SC call me back indicating that he would look into the situation and get back to me.

15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned)

said by compuguybna:

Did you talk to Michael Henry?

No that is not the name of the CSR I spoke to.

I do know that the call came from the Spartanburg, SC offices of the company.

I don't want to reveal the name of the person I spoke to because they are only following the instructions of corporate. I can tell you that the CSR I spoke to was pleasant, and professional in their manner. Again I have the most respect for all the rank and file employees at Charter because almost all of them really do try their best to help the customer if possible.

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon to 15444104

Anon

to 15444104

Re: You didn't read my full post, or previous posts.

said by 15444104:

I was ORIGINALLY on the internet lite tier at 20/mo. Then about six months later Charter was going to raise that price by 5$/mo to 25$/mo. I called into Charter and said that price increase seemed very high (25%!) and I didn't know if I would stay with them because of it. The CSR then offered me 15mb at that 25$/mo price. I said I didn't need the extra speed of 15mb but since I was getting more service for the 5$ I accepted the offer, the CSR mentioned that when that offer was up in 1 yr I could call in and revert to my old 3mb Internet Lite tier at the 25$/mo price.

Logically speaking it makes more business sense to keep a customer that makes Charter a little profit, than lose that customer ENTIRELY and end up with NO profit at all.

It won't cost me anything in the end because I don't need that speed or want to pay 50 bucks a month for service.

When I get ATT DSL I will SAVE 70% compared to the new Charter price for 6 months, and 35% after that period even with a regular every day price.

I win. Charter loses a customer.

Charter wins. You logic only applies if NONE of the current $50 30 meg customers that stays with Charter lowers their package.

Simple math

Say out of 100 30 meg customers 10 leave because of the price. So Charter offers a $30 tier an all 10 stay. But another 30 of the remaining 90 30 meg customers decides to drop their package to the $30 tier. Well let's do math.

90 X $50= $4500
60 X $50=$3000 40 X$30=$1200 total $4200

IF Charter can offer a lower price tier and make as much or more money than they are now they will do it. If not they won't. Charter is business not a charity. How about all the companies that don't provide ANY interne service to you area. Where is your outrage that they don't do that? In my area the only other provider is at&t and their offerings are a joke. Is that Charter's fault or at&t's? I'll put my blame where is appropriately goes.
15444104 (banned)

3 edits

15444104 (banned)

Think again... garbage in garbage out.

said by anon anon :

Simple math

Say out of 100 30 meg customers 10 leave because of the price. So Charter offers a $30 tier an all 10 stay...

Garbage in garbage out.

Your data to begin with is in error.

A LOT more than 10 customers will be leaving. I'd say it could be as high as 60!

So now how's that math of yours faring?

The bottom line is that Charter is telling folks that do NOT want or need that 30 mb "take it or leave it plan" to find the door. ....and many more than you think certainly will.

That is a loss of profit no matter how you try and spin it.

Either the bean counters sold Charter a bill of goods on this plan they have now, or perhaps Tom Rutledge is behind it.

You've heard about the recent story of how JCP hired Apple "genius" Ron Johnson to be the CEO and his objective was going to be to turn the retailer into the "Apple" of department stores. (lots of department stores around too LOL)
You know sometimes I think a lot of the brass tacks (CEOs COOs, ect) spend too much time watching CNBC and believing their drivel.

Well it turns out that the customer threw a bunch of egg on Mr. Johnson's face and told him to stuff the high prices and lack of wiggle room on prices. And wouldn't you know it.....JCP has returned to sanity from a brief period of delusional greed mongering with lots of sales and competitive pricing. Sure they won't make the stupid profit that comes with the Apple zombie crowd that will buy ANYTHING that the fruit company spits out, but they will still make a profit.

You see the economy on main street is not the economy on wall street.

The customer is NOT asking for "charity" by wanting a more economically priced product. I NEVER said I wanted 30mb for less money. I said I wanted 3mb for 25 bucks. That is simply the customer exercising his due diligence.

Perhaps Mr. Rutledge would prefer to only have the wall street crowd as subscribers? Heck I bet Charter would never get paid if that was the case.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize

Hey horseathalt7

Don't even bother with anon anon. He's just some Charter shill trying to sway public opinion.

He don't know what he is talking about, and his example proves the point you are talking about.
We know Charter has just raised it price to gouge everyone to make more money, that is why people are leaving.

It's people like anon anon that take a 50% price increase and think it is normal business. I think a lot more then 10 out of 100 will think a 50% price increase is not normal and if they have any other options they will look into them. At that point by anon anon logic they will raise the price again.
Expand your moderator at work

btB
@rr.com

btB to 15444104

Anon

to 15444104

I am just a disinterested 3rd party. However in my opinion, there are not too many people who thinks paying $19 a month for 6 months and then $30 for 768kbps is a good deal. Speed is just too slow for multimedia. Now if you think it is worth it, good for you. The option is available with At&t.

It is also my opinion that non-promotional prices on At&t are not that inexpensive. It costs $41 for 3mbps speed you wanted. Furthermore, I would guess that most people using cable internet are on a bundle which gives you a slight discount and makes the cost of internet fairly close to what decent dsl speeds cost.

miscposter
@charter.com

miscposter to 15444104

Anon

to 15444104

Re: Think again... garbage in garbage out.

If you are on the internet lite plan, and getting the $5 increase, has anyone told you that also comes with an increase in speed from 3Mbps to 15Mbps? Above you stated the lower tier price for 30.00 from at&t... why not get 15Mbps for the same cost?

moneyman12
@charter.com

moneyman12 to miscposter

Anon

to miscposter

I think anon anon math may be off, but he's on the right track. All the math you guys are doing is as if the charged price is pure profit. There is a cost to providing internet. Say the break even point is $25. so every $30 customer is making charter $5 and every $50 customer in making charter $25. If you take into account profit margins, then I can see charters logic in letting some customers walk.

Rampage522
join:2001-10-18
Birmingham, AL

1 recommendation

Rampage522 to moneyman12

to moneyman12

Right...it's possible that at some price points it doesn't make sense for Charter to provide services. So customers walking is an assumed or accepted risk. You have to figure that they looked at numbers and determined this was the best decision going forward for their business.

The alternative is that they DIDN'T put a lot of thought into it, and they'll have to consider changing their stance if the numbers start hurting too much.

It's not all about greedy corporations, folks. Sometimes businesses make decisions to stay afloat for the long term. Other times, they just make ill-informed decisions. They are NOT intentionally going out of their way to lose money.

Also, and this is just as important, every customer has a pain point with a company. When that is reached, the customer has every right to walk and that's completely valid. Mercedes Benz sells their cars for a price on which they can make a profit and continue keeping their doors open. I cannot afford to pay what they want, so I choose a (MUCH) cheaper alternative. Mercedes isn't inherently evil for not choosing to provide me with an affordable car, maybe I'm just not their target market.
Pasta
join:2002-09-30
Hubertus, WI

Pasta

Well said.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to moneyman12

MVM

to moneyman12
said by moneyman12 :

I think anon anon math may be off, but he's on the right track. All the math you guys are doing is as if the charged price is pure profit. There is a cost to providing internet. Say the break even point is $25. so every $30 customer is making charter $5 and every $50 customer in making charter $25.

This assumes that the underlying philosophy of U.S. business is cost-based pricing; but I see more evidence that the underlying business philosophy is a monopolistic: "Charge what the traffic will bear".

Back when I first was hooked on anime (Japanese animation), I was mystified by the fact that VHS tapes with English dubbed voice overs were ~$5 cheaper than the same show with English subtitles. Surely the only difference in production costs were the extra cost of the English voice actors, so the dubs should cost more, not less.

And assuming a "break even point" of $25 must mean that my current ISP will be going belly-up this year; they seem to think that they can turn a profit on an Internet charge of just $19.98 per month. Yet they are deploying FTTP in Sebastopol, California, and will start further deployment in San Francisco "RSN".
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

1 edit

NightOwl2 to 15444104

to 15444104

I received sales call from Charter yesterday on cell, (I allow these as have received good promos in the past). It was the usual Triple Play push. I advised nice young lady that I couldn't even afford the $50 30/4 plan to which I currently subscribe. She said, but you have the lowest tier. My reply, it is now but Charter recently offered several lower speeds. Her answer: Charter is trying to move everyone to a *world*?? speed or something to that effect. I am not sure what this means - that everyone *needs* more speed or should get with the times, or what, but found it offensive.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

Maybe she meant "real world" speed, or something?

Like we MUST have and can afford more costs for those speeds?
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2

That sounds right, cork1958. She may have said real world. Either way, there are obviously customers who do not need/want, or can afford the 30/4 option as a *lowest* tier.
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned)

quote:
Eventually, if enough "crumbs" quit contributing, that CEO will find his a** working some where else, hopefully!! It doesn't take to many crumbs before stock holders start noticing!
Exactly.

While low tier customers like myself as individuals are not significant when you add all of us up together over the long haul we become a sizable niche of profit potential....which will end up leaving if we can't be provided with a suitable product that meets our needs. So what Tom Rutledge is doing is helping to send plenty of business to ATT. If I was a shareholder I would NOT be amused.