share rss forum feed

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to dsl2u

Re: Best type of IP phone for home users?

I agree, a hard phone over a soft phone for me any day. Once the hard phone is setup, you can pretty much forget about it. I also agree with wired over wireless, as consumer grade routers are garbage.

My problem with soft phones are computer resources. If for whatever reason, the resources of a PC go through the roof, you call starts having problems. Might not be an issue with current PC's, and people who set up their PC's properly, but I am sure we have all had that point where all the sudden the CPU is near 100% load, and your memory usage is climbing..... Yes, I clearly use windows! :P

For me, jitter is more important that latency when it comes to servers. I have family who almost always are 300 to 400MS to their server with no issues, call sounds as if it was landline.

dsl2u

join:2012-05-16
CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
> as consumer grade routers are garbage.

But aren't those used in almost all home VOIP situations? Or do some phones have a router built in and you plug our computer into the phone instead of the router?

I'm going to read about jitter. I really want this to work.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Viper359
said by Viper359:

For me, jitter is more important that latency when it comes to servers.

And the way to mitigate jitter is to increase the latency... and it's usually done automatically. You may not notice that, until you start getting calls from cell phones, which add a lot of their own latency to the equation. Then you may start talking at the same time as the other party on cell phone does. It's not a pleasant experience, I may say, and can easy break the whole conversation...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to dsl2u
You are correct, a lot of people use them in the home situation. The more settings and options in the $50.00 router range, the more they seem to not work as needed, from my experience anyways. Most IP hard phones are very easy to setup, depending what you buy, some voip providers have step by step guides. If you have a household that doesn't upload often, and you have a very high download ability, QOS isn't even needed.

That is my house, because I have Rogers 75/2, I don't use any QOS anymore, because I noticed almost no one really uploaded anything that ever saturated the upload available speed for more than a few seconds. While I am only 75 down, it frequently bursts for extended periods to around 150 down. So, anyone downloading has not caused any network congestion. Since voip uses almost no bandwidth, it has worked just fine for my specific situation. That is the big thing, each households situation is different in what they are doing with each internet connection.

dsl2u

CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to dsl2u
I just noticed that there are NBX or business IP phones available. Is there a difference between that and something I'd just plug into my generic router at home? In the POTS world a PBX or business phone has a jack that is a different shape (larger like an ethernet jack) than a home type jack. Wondering if the same applies with NBX.

zephxiii

join:2012-12-12
Fort Wayne, IN
Please list the models you are referring to.

dsl2u

CANADA
reply to dsl2u
NBX phones: »www.mtmnet.com/3Com_NBX.htm

Are these any different from typical IP phones?

zephxiii

Fort Wayne, IN
said by dsl2u:

NBX phones: »www.mtmnet.com/3Com_NBX.htm

Are these any different from typical IP phones?

All that is is 3Com's own phone system that uses their own protocol (NBX) but their phones are also SIP capable.

Personally i wouldn't use them and would rather stick with Polycom, Cisco, Yealink, Digium and some others.

dsl2u

CANADA
Why would you steer away from 3com's models? They often go very cheap used these days. Are people needing more advanced features lacking in these older models?

zephxiii

Fort Wayne, IN
They look cheap. I'd rather have a Polycom Soundpoint 501 for 65 bucks. I may buy a 3com to play with though.

dsl2u

CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to dsl2u
UPDATE: So often I copy and paste numbers into Gmail to dial because its just so fast and convenient. Is it possible to do that with any IP phones out there? I should have mentioned this in the beginning. Also to be able to copy and paste an entire database of names and numbers would be useful. And do any run off a memory card so you can move the entire memory with you when you want? That would be ideal for privacy.

dsl2u

CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to dsl2u
What are some of the features most of you value? For me its:
- Full duplex, hands free speakerphone with mic of course.
- Ability to scroll down a list of caller ID numbers, push a button and have the number ringing immediately without having to manually dial.
- Ability to copy and paste from the computer (individual numbers and entire data bases/address books).
- Multi lines with ringer control for each (different tones).
- Programmable ring tones for specific phone numbers.
- Headset plug so you can use that headset without taking the handset off the phone.
- POTS type telephone jack.

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:25
reply to dsl2u
Regardless of the type of phone you have, it's usually pretty easy to rig a script that will call a number copied to your clipboard. It rings your phone and upon answer, a call to the destination is made. If you have a PBX (your own or hosted somewhere), you can set up the inbound leg as an 'intercom' call, so you don't have to touch the phone at all. Otherwise, the script would make the call using your provider's API, e.g. Anveo, or by programmatically accessing your provider's click-to-call function.

I also have a small homemade 'gadget' window on my PC screen that shows the last 15 numbers calling/called. Clicking on one makes a call to that number.