share rss forum feed

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
reply to RyanCharter

Re: Lag Spikes, Lag on Xbox as well

Do you have any of your interfaces "hard-coded" to a particular speed/duplex?

Ryancharter

@charter.com
I do not. I noticed something today though. I have a netgear wndr4300 and I was messing with the settings and I put my IP on a DMZ and the lag severely diminished. Any other steps I can take?

Rampage522

join:2001-10-18
Birmingham, AL
kudos:1
What kind of router? Your description sounds like a similar symptom I've heard when SPI (stateful packet inspection) is enabled. A lot times people with issues could disable this option and saw great improvement.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to Ryancharter
said by Ryancharter :

I do not. I noticed something today though. I have a netgear wndr4300 and I was messing with the settings and I put my IP on a DMZ and the lag severely diminished. Any other steps I can take?

That just about defeats the purpose of having a router, doesn't it? Same with disabling SPI, too, right? May as well just disable every setting in there, in that case.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Rampage522

join:2001-10-18
Birmingham, AL
kudos:1
You still get some security benefits with SPI disabled. It's a nice-to-have feature, but a router probably shouldn't be your primary security implementation anyway.

Besides, it's a troubleshooting step. If turning off SPI fixes it, then you see if the router vendor has updated firmware that fixes SPI.

Not all answers are reached in one step.