All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

derekm
join:2008-02-26

derekm to rednekcowboy

to rednekcowboy

Re: Am I Crazy and What Can I Do?

Is your router counting incoming UDP that you didn't ask for?

Maybe it's just IP-only (i.e. - no ICMP, UDP, TCP) noise? Does your router count that?

EDIT: an interesting mention in the Cogeco section, having your modem's MAC cloned elsewhere in the network. Have you tried a different modem?

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

said by derekm:

Is your router counting incoming UDP that you didn't ask for?

Maybe it's just IP-only (i.e. - no ICMP, UDP, TCP) noise? Does your router count that?

EDIT: an interesting mention in the Cogeco section, having your modem's MAC cloned elsewhere in the network. Have you tried a different modem?

This is what they are claiming, either "bad data" or some sort of attack (though they are just guessing at this and have provided no logs whatsoever to back this up which leads me to believe they are telling me this just to shut me up). Even if it was any of those activities, I cannot be held responsible for the criminal activities of another person. If their modem is vulnerable to such attacks, this is not within my power to control as I have no access to their modem to setup rules to block this type of traffic.

Bottom line--I can prove what I used and I will absolutely not pay for any overages occurred that I did not use. I'm not interested in figuring out how or why Videotron's counter acts the way it does or the behavior behind it.

If Electronicbox insists on building it's billing system around another company's equipment, they should have a method in place to double check that counter. At least then they could say our records show the exact same numbers for both Videotron's and our own counters, there must be a flaw in your system.

Right now I can prove that Videotron's counting is flawed, that there are other complaints in this regard, that Electronic Box has refunded others because of those complaints, what I used down to the kilobyte, if necessary and that every time I reported an issue, the issue was resolved almost immediately after. Logically, if my system was flawed in some way, we would end up with completely different numbers and while nothing is exact we are usually pretty close on a monthly basis, with the exception of every few months when Videotron's counter shits the bed.

Electronic Box nor Videotron can prove that my usage monitor is faulty in any way, shape or form. All they can stubbornly say is "our counter is the only one that matters." Which is completely false in real world expectations.

Electronic Box has been put on notice that I will continue keeping my logs and will continue to report each and every time there is a discrepancy and that those emails and logs will be used in a CCTS complaint, if necessary. They have also been notified that I absolutely will not pay for usage that I can prove I did not use. They are drawing a line in the sand with this Videotron counter business and while I do not like to threaten a complaint or flat out refuse to pay, should it come to that, they are not leaving me any choice in the matter.

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug

Anon

And once you have everything and can conclude that it is a faulty B/W accounting, then also give the Montreal Gazettes tech guy and at least one French paper the same complaint you will file with the CCTS. Chances are they will run it.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

And Ellen Roseman.

»www.ellenroseman.com/

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by resa1983:

And Ellen Roseman.

»www.ellenroseman.com/

Can't say I ever saw her write about Quebec companies.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by hm :

said by resa1983:

And Ellen Roseman.

»www.ellenroseman.com/

She's very widely read, and has a lot of connections. If you managed to convince her to write about it, there'd be a large audience.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by resa1983:

said by hm :

said by resa1983:

And Ellen Roseman. - »www.ellenroseman.com/

She's very widely read, and has a lot of connections. If you managed to convince her to write about it, there'd be a large audience.

Tell her that Cogeco does exactly the same thing to/with THEIR retail customers.

That will broaden the readership/audience into Ontario, I promise !

Examples with common ground :

»[INTERNET] Absurd Cogeco internet charges

»[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare

»[INTERNET] 53gb upload in one day?!?

»[INTERNET] Overage usage skyrocketing

»Is this forum only for Cogeco haters?

»"Undesirable" customers: Cogeco, Audet

»Cogeco email can't autoforward to external address!?

»[NEWS] Modem Off? Get Charged For Usage By Cogeco Anyway

»[NEWS] Cogeco Still Can't Meter Their Users Correctly

THOSE (the last 2 are from DSLR Chief Correspondent Karl Bode) are from just the first 4 pages of the Cogeco forum here.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Here are a couple of my own threads about how it can happen (overbilling, that is) :

»Why Cogeco Subscribers are NOT Notified

»Cogeco's Broken Usage Meter