deke40
deke40
Premium Member
join:2003-01-23
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

Playbryte

Opened up Redbox and clicked on "Movies". A page opened up wanting me to take a survey and it looked like it was from Redbox offering me a free prize. My paranoia went to full alert. It was one of those that has not cancel button. Used Taskkill and shut it down.

Just thought it was a fluke and went to Fox News and got a similiar one. Immediately ran MBAM and it found Playbryte.

Checked up on it and found out it was not considered a Virus or Trojan but and actual browser/toolbar. Deleted it and an add-on called "Cupon Companion".

Ran MSE and MBAM Root-Kit to be safe.

Checked the registry for anymore entries and everything seems to be clear.

Has anybody ran across this one and what would have kept it off my PC? I am very particular about downloading anything from questionable links.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by deke40:

Has anybody ran across this one and what would have kept it off my PC? I am very particular about downloading anything from questionable links.

Before your post, never heard of it. Could it have been one of those pre-selected applications that is piggybacked on freeware?

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

Forgot to mention I also did a shutdown and restart to make sure it wasn't in one of my restore points. Everything is still ok.

TonyKlein
Premium Member
join:2001-07-02
Netherlands

TonyKlein to deke40

Premium Member

to deke40
Coupon Companion is a Crossrider cross-browser plugin, adware, usually bundled with third party software or "foistware".

Nod32 will detect it as "Win32/Toolbar.CrossRider.B"

-------------
Tony CLSID List - A Collection of Autostart Locations

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

Thanks Tony, long time no see.

TonyKlein
Premium Member
join:2001-07-02
Netherlands

TonyKlein

Premium Member

said by deke40:

Thanks Tony, long time no see.

Sure is. I remember we were both posting at TSG back in 2002 or so...