how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06

[Parts Check] New Build

This really isn't a "parts check" per say, but it best fits this post.

I have been out of the loop for some time now regarding CPU's so I am unsure of what is best bang for the buck and what is best for gaming vs. every day use.

My aunt is currently using a 7+ year old Celeron 2.4 Ghz Single Core with 1 GB DDR2100 Ram PC with a 40 GB IDE Hard Drive. It was a $400 budget computer at the time and is long overdue for replacement. It can't do any flash streaming video (NetFlix, YouTube, etc) without being jittery and web sites with flash ad's are also painfully slow.

This is what I know:
My budget for this entire build, including monitor (minus keyboard, mouse, speakers) is $500. So my CPU budget is going to need to be $120ish or so. She really doesn't do any multitasking, but want's something as high end as possible as she only replaces computers every 7-10 years.

Suggestions for a CPU? Perhaps overclocking a little?

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

If you are comfortable with AMD CPUs there are some like this one »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19103727 AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX that should be more than adequate.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19103962 AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2
reply to MineCoast

Here's a "combo" deal from Newegg. Less than $500.00.
»www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund···.1094422

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to MineCoast

Click for full size
downloadNewegg.pdf 178,030 bytes
Personally, I would go with something of the current gen.

Here is a build, including monitor for $470 with a hyperthreaded, dual core i3, 8GB of RAM, and a 120GB SSD (which will be plenty if 40GB is enough).

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to MineCoast

I'm assuming that Windows is mandatory, or would she be okay with Mint/Ubuntu? If Windows is needed, that cuts into the budget fairly significantly. For that requirement, maybe a low to midrange AMD APU would work.
--
KI6RIT

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
reply to MineCoast

Seriously get an i3 system on sale, skip the ssd, onboard video will be fine, and 4GB of ram will be fine for what limited software most people run. Just try to find a Win 7 computer, and avoid Win 8.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to MineCoast

A monitor is about $100, and Win7 is about $100, so that leaves you $300 for everything else.

You want $300 for a complete box, but stress "as high end as possible" and "perhaps a little overclocking"?

I think you have some (very) unrealistic requirements. Onboard video will be fine, but you are still looking for around $600 for the whole build.

Unless you want really crappy components that become too slow for flash/java/OS/streaming in a couple years.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

MineCoast
Premium
reply to MineCoast

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was thinking of an i3 as well because most of her programs will be single threaded and it seems that the i3 is better for single threaded programs than AMD would be. This is her budget, not mine I already have an OS (Windows 7) that I will be able to load on this system, so I will not need to buy her an OS, or a keyboard, or a mouse, or speakers for that matter.

MineCoast
Premium
reply to MineCoast

How's this? $498 shipped.

As far as "high end as possible" I didn't mean to expect an i7 build or anything, only simply best bang for buck and added overclocking thinking that could help bang for the buck.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to MineCoast

Sigh, here's my attempt, without getting an absolutely crappy case or PSU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($136.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill NS Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($23.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Hannspree HL229DPB 21.5" Monitor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $500.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-05 11:39 EST-0500)
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to MineCoast

said by MineCoast:

As far as "high end as possible" I didn't mean to expect an i7 build or anything, only simply best bang for buck and added overclocking thinking that could help bang for the buck.

I don't know what would happen if you mixed a Sandy Bridge mobo with an Ivy Bridge CPU. Can it support via a bios update?
--

MineCoast
Premium

said by Krisnatharok:

said by MineCoast:

I don't know what would happen if you mixed a Sandy Bridge mobo with an Ivy Bridge CPU. Can it support via a bios update?

»www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=H61M-DGS

Excellent Point. I just checked the supported CPU list for the motherboard and it seems like the CPU is supported at least

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Alright, if it says so...

I just had a thought... for OCing, your better option is the AMD FX-4170 with a Hyper 212+ or similar cooler. It is equivalent to the i3-3220, a bit cheaper, but has quite a bit of OCing potential. It also happens to be the only AMD processor recommended at any price-point.
--

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to MineCoast

Personally, I still think mine is the best on there with an SSD, as that will greatly increase the speed and will be the most reliable thing going forward, tied with 8GB of RAM which I am not seeing in the other builds.

Your second build is good, but there is zero need for a LED monitor, nor 1080p (I have found older people actually prefer LOWER resolutions so everything is more blown up). Also, no SSD, too high of price for a PSU for a budget build.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13

SSD is loading time, not actual program performance. Sure they could spend another $20, and double the ram however even on my new system I've never used more than 4GB of ram gaming.

blasher

join:2008-01-10
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to MineCoast

Why isn't the current system fast enough? Why noy add a few more gigs of memory and see how that works?

I have a 1.8GHz AMD in a Dell Dimension that is 6 years old and it does all the flash and YouTube videos just fine. It has 3 gigs do RAM, maximum for the motherboard.

Maybe there needs to be fewer processes running. Check for cycle-stealing viruses? That system shouldn't be that slow.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

Netburst Celeron=crap. The CPU in your machine is a fair bit faster than the OP's listed PC. If both machines are using onboard video, then the difference is even greater.
--
KI6RIT