uniqs
share rss forum feed

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to C0deZer0

Re: Game shopping (BB RewardZone vs GS PowerUp)

said by C0deZer0:

said by Jon:

I have a GS PowerUp card and I'm still not sure why. You basically earn points to redeem stuff from their site. It's mostly Tee-shirts and key rings and junk no one wants.

Same here; rather, when I went to pick up WWE '13, they kinda just shoved it on me when I explicitly told them I didn't want one anyway.

You have to activate the card online to even do anything with it though, so even though they convinced you to join (which they need your information for anyway, so you had to have given them that some point in the process) you don't actually have to use it.

I'm assuming by this point people are thinking I'm some kind of PowerUp Rewards shill - I'm not, I don't even have an account myself. But saying something was forced on you when you have to jump through several hoops to register is a bit of a reach.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
Not sure if you're replying to both of us but I signed up willingly. Didn't mean to imply otherwise. I meant I'm not sure why cause it's basically useless unless you like shirts and trinkets. They have a couple of good coupons on there but they're like 50K points.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
Not to you, Jon. Your post just got caught up in the quote-mobile there.
--

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to danawhitaker
said by danawhitaker:

You have to activate the card online to even do anything with it though, so even though they convinced you to join (which they need your information for anyway, so you had to have given them that some point in the process) you don't actually have to use it.

I'm assuming by this point people are thinking I'm some kind of PowerUp Rewards shill - I'm not, I don't even have an account myself. But saying something was forced on you when you have to jump through several hoops to register is a bit of a reach.

They require the same information in order to preorder something at all. And with how the store works, they won't bother carry a new game unless you do.

The program and the amount of points required for actual rewards vs. the points earned on a purchase through their Power-Up rewards are a complete joke.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
True, but you could always say no to the card.

I'm not saying the program itself is inherently a good bargain, particularly if you only buy new stuff. It *is* a good bargain if you buy a metric crapton of used games and have the paid membership because you get 10% off all used games. My friend did it just for that really and he doesn't even pay attention to the points. But he buys about $30-50 in used games a month, sometimes more, and that's $3-5 off each time. It's clear from the way the program is designed (more points on used purchases than new purchases) that it benefits the type of customer who purchases used games more.

Reward programs always have some catch to them or something that benefits the retailer more. They're ultimately designed to con you into being exclusively loyal to that retailer (the grocery stores around here are big into that now, with gas discounts for purchasing certain items). The goal is to get you to buy stuff you normally wouldn't, or stuff that you normally would at higher prices than you'd pay elsewhere. Best Buy and Gamestop are equally bad about that. The printer I just paid $90 for a few weeks ago on Amazon retails at Best Buy for $130. I wonder how many people would be tempted to go ahead and get it at Best Buy anyway just for the points?
--

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
I did say no to the card. they still shoved it on me anyway.

As I said, gamestop has zero respect for their customers.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
said by C0deZer0:

I did say no to the card. they still shoved it on me anyway.

As I said, gamestop has zero respect for their customers.

Leave it laying on the counter? Ask for a manager (though I suppose the manager could have been ringing you up)? Call corporate? They can't force you to activate it online once you get home anyway, which you have to be able to do to access the points and everything anyway. Tell them you'll cancel your preorder and purchase the game elsewhere if they push the issue? I turn them down every time I'm there (and they have my info on file from past preorders) because I don't shop there consistently enough to keep a point balance that would be worth spending. I've never had an employee do that. I'm not saying that the employee didn't maybe pressure you, but there's a difference between feeling pressured and being forced. Forced implies you had no option, but there are options that you can avail yourself of in that scenario.

Every time I buy something at Best Buy or Toys R Us they try to pressure me into buying a product replacement plan. Know how many I've bought? Zero. Those stores also have no respect for their customers because they know those PRPs are complete BS. By now, we should all realize that the majority of corporations have little respect for their customers and care mostly about their bottom line. That's not a trait that Gamestop has the monopoly on through any stretch of the imagination.
--

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
The screwy thing is, there's 2 different version of the card. The basic is basically just "points for purchases". the "Pro" version is the one that costs $14.99/yr and nets you 10% bonus points on all purchases, 10% bonus trade-in credit, 10% off used games/accessories and new strategy guides. Oh and a "Buy 2 get 1 free" coupon good on preowned games only. And their monthly "magazine".

So basically, you'd need to be spending $149.90 on used stuff to "pay" for it, or use the coupon. I don't know about you guys, but I rarely go in anywhere to buy more than one game at a time. I suppose if there happened to be 2 other games i happened to be looking for, or if I had more than one system like I once did, it *might* be worth it.

But frankly, I prefer new games anyways.

As an aside, but related, I know for a fact that employees are told to get a certain number of reward program members in a certain period of time. Failure to do so can result in anything from loss of hours to termination. Same for preorders.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
That doesn't surprise me at all about employees, they were into the preorder pushing when I had friends that worked there years ago. I have my doubts Best But is much different about pushing their extended warranties though, and upselling people on expensive HDMI and USB cables they don't need. I'm sure the people who are good at that magically get more hours too.

Best Buy also has a "better" version called Premier Silver that you get into once you spend at least $2500 a year.

»myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/silver/benefits

And yes, with the GameStop membership, it depends on what kind of gamer you are. My friends collects a lot of old games that you can't buy new anymore. Well you can, but buying them new usually means hitting up eBay and trusting sellers to be honest about their sealed copies, and paying a lot more for the item than you would used at GameStop. And in that instance, it's not like buying a new copy benefits the publishers or developers anyway. That $150 goes quite quickly for him.

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
Agreed on the extended warranties. But for cables and such, they've no way to track that to an associate (unless the manager's watching). They just push those to help the bottom line because part of the time, they'll need the cable anyway. Probably not such an expensive one, but Average Shopper generally doesn't want to wait a few days or so for a cable so he can use his new printer. that's if he knows where to look in the first place.

The only thing I go to Best Buy/GameStop for is if I *need* to have it right now. For GameStop, that's pretty much never. for Best Buy, it's generally only if something on my computer has crapped out or isn't working properly. Otherwise, it gets ordered online.

The only good thing about the GameStop program vs. Best Buy is that the GS points don't expire.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
reply to danawhitaker
I'm not sure I would go that far on the warranties... depending on the device, some I've come to use rather frequently.

Up until they changed their policy regarding handhelds and consoles, it was a boon for consoles, especially the Nintendo DS. Also used it with the Xbox 360, to allow me to have the model I have now. And thanks to my rather rotten luck with bluetooth earpieces, same deal there.

If it's something you expect to be using every day and want working, and depending on the terms, it can be worth your time. If ever something does go wrong, at least you can exchange quickly, which is a plus.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
reply to stonhinge
said by stonhinge:

Agreed on the extended warranties. But for cables and such, they've no way to track that to an associate (unless the manager's watching). They just push those to help the bottom line because part of the time, they'll need the cable anyway. Probably not such an expensive one, but Average Shopper generally doesn't want to wait a few days or so for a cable so he can use his new printer. that's if he knows where to look in the first place.

The only thing I go to Best Buy/GameStop for is if I *need* to have it right now. For GameStop, that's pretty much never. for Best Buy, it's generally only if something on my computer has crapped out or isn't working properly. Otherwise, it gets ordered online.

The only good thing about the GameStop program vs. Best Buy is that the GS points don't expire.

Actually, GS can expire as well. From their FAQ:

"Do my points ever expire?
Yes, they can. If there is no account activity posted to your account for one year (12 consecutive months), the account is subject to closure and termination, including forfeiture of all accrued points. "Activity" is defined as making a purchase or a trade at GameStop or GameStop.com or making a purchase of Kongregate Kreds on Kongregate.com."
--