rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA

rolfp to Moorecards

Premium Member

to Moorecards

Re: [NFL] Super Bowl 47 Discussion (2 weeks)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· tzYqkLA8

Couple of points:

•No stiff-arm from Crabtree that I can see.
•Smith latches on before 5 yards out from line of scrimmage (5 yard line) and hangs on well into the endzone, where it looks like Crabtree tries to scrape him off.
•Rule is ref calls a hold if defender holds after 5 yards.
•Instead of change of possession, it's 4 more downs starting at the 1.
•Simms made a few dumb remarks.
•It's a hold, call it. There isn't a different set of rules for the end of the game.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

1 edit

Rook008

Premium Member

Crabtree has his right arm straightened into the defender's body and then his left on his helmet.
The defender is holding Crabtree for almost the entire route from the 1 yard line into the endzone.

The line of scrimmage is the 5 yard line.

But the refs weren't throwing flags for that the entire game, why start at the end?

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

1 recommendation

rockotman to rolfp

Premium Member

to rolfp
OK - you want to question officiating?

•Why wasn't an out-of-bounds hit called on the defensive player when Flacco was throwing the ball as he went out of bounds. The hit occurred well after he was OB, and the defensive player had time to pull up. That would have lead to a Baltimore 1st and goal, instead of the Ratbirds settling for a field goal.

•How about the nice acting job when Akers went down after the missed field goal.

Click me if necessary

•Remember when Roddy White got mugged by Navarro Bowman on the 4th down at the end of the NFC championship game? No flag was shown. Bowman even admits it. That "no-call" routine goes both ways. Mike Smith didn't go all Merlot or Chardonnay after the game, did he?

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
Oakland, CA

rolfp to Rook008

Premium Member

to Rook008
Not saying start at the end. Start at the beginning.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

That would have been my preference too.
Rook008

Rook008 to rockotman

Premium Member

to rockotman

said by rockotman See Profile
... Mike Smith didn't go all Merlot or Chardonnay after the game, did he?

lol, wine - whine.
That was clever.

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
Oakland, CA

rolfp to rockotman

Premium Member

to rockotman
Acting job? How is that the case? Even the commentator said it was more like roughing the punter, which would have brought a first down, not 4th down 5 yards closer. Sure, it goes both ways. Better game would be to have better officiating.

rockotman
Premium Member
DSotM

1 edit

1 recommendation

rockotman

Premium Member

Commentator? Phil Sims? Give me a break. He talks just to hear his own voice.

The camera doesn't lie.

Akers starts to go down before he is even touched. And the degree of touch would not have been enough to knock a man down.

Give Akers an Oscar!

[EDIT]
Isolated frames from the gif.

No contact, right leg on the ground.

Still no contact, right leg still on the ground.

Ooops... look... here comes the right leg up... Oh help me... I've been roughed...

I'd like to thank the Academy...
sailor
Premium Member
join:2003-10-21
Long Island

sailor to Rook008

Premium Member

to Rook008
said by Rook008:

Crabtree has his left arm straightened into the defender's body and then his right on his helmet.
The defender is holding Crabtree for almost the entire route.

But the refs weren't throwing flags for that the entire game, why start at the end?

When it happened live it appeared to me Crabtree extends his arm full length and uses it to push so hard down on the defenders head ( helmet ) he pushes him to the ground

I just am not seeing what so many others are saying was a obvious holding call by the defender preventing Crabtree from getting to the ball......he looked to me like he was moving just fine while pushing hard on to the defenders helmet and chest....not to mention the ball way over everyone's head..

If the camera didn't catch Harbaugh showing his very animated holding gesture hoping to to get a call knowing they just lost...... this so called non call would not be so widely discussed today in my opinion only.

But with that said, you make a point about the refs and why start calling stuff now.
sailor

sailor to rockotman

Premium Member

to rockotman
said by rockotman:

OK - you want to question officiating?

Why wasn't an out-of-bounds hit called on the defensive player when Flacco was throwing the ball as he went out of bounds. The hit occurred well after he was OB, and the defensive player had time to pull up. That would have lead to a Baltimore 1st and goal, instead of the Ratbirds settling for a field goal.

Good one...I had forgotten about that.

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
Oakland, CA

rolfp to rockotman

Premium Member

to rockotman
wow. degree of touch? I don't know what gif you're smoking watching. Not Simms, the other guy.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to sailor

Premium Member

to sailor
Yeah, I had to edit that post a bit after watching the replay again.

The defender seems to grab Crabtree under the right arm at the beginning while Crabtree is pushing off.

Kaepernick really had to get the ball out quick with the Ravens pass rush about to murder him, so it might have been overthrown.

Plus after the defender is on the ground he throws his hands up as if he's looking for an offensive penalty.

The way the game was being officiated up to that point in the game, I can understand the lack of a flag. Not a big deal to me.

rockotman
Premium Member
DSotM

rockotman to rolfp

Premium Member

to rolfp
See my updated post above for individually isolated frames to see what gif I'm smoking.

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
Oakland, CA

rolfp

Premium Member

23 rolls right into him. Maybe a good idea to let your cleats loose from the ground, if you don't want a broken something. Ya follow?

rockotman
Premium Member
DSotM

rockotman

Premium Member

The point is, that is a dive. He is already on his way down when 23 touches his left leg. Do YOU follow?

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
Oakland, CA

rolfp

Premium Member

You miss the point. Doesn't matter if the kicker loses his balance or just falls. If the defender runs into him, unless he's blocked into him, it's a foul.