spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Anon665

@cgocable.net

Splitting the cable line (Cogeco-START)

Hi, (not sure if this is the right place to post)
trying to relocate to start.ca but it seems that I would have to cancel my home phone with cogeco.

How would I go about solving this issue? I am completely new when it comes to these technical stuff...

should I just pay $50 fee and get it over with it?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

If you're planning on keeping your Cogeco phone service then you'd likely need a tech out to split the jack, test the line, etc - so you'd be looking at the $50. If you're ditching the phone service but have Cogeco internet then the transfer would be free and you'd use the same jack as the current modem is plugged into.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable

And if you smell something fishy in rocca's response, your senses are correct: there's a CRTC regulated scam in that $50 fee. Nothing to do with rocca though.

If you don't want to mess with the (cable) phone line, then just dish out the $50 and Be Happy!

Cheers

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·Start Communicat..
reply to Anon665

said by Anon665 :

Hi, (not sure if this is the right place to post)
trying to relocate to start.ca but it seems that I would have to cancel my home phone with cogeco.

How would I go about solving this issue? I am completely new when it comes to these technical stuff...

should I just pay $50 fee and get it over with it?

Theres 2 ways of doing it depending on whether or not you have cable TV with Cogeco as well.

If you DO NOT have cable TV:

[CABLE FEED] goes into a 2 WAY SPLITTER (BGI or Digitap are Cogeco approved, although any digital, 1Ghz splitter will do). One leg of the split goes to the start modem, and the other leg goes to the cogeco MTA (modem/phone adapter)

If you DO have cable TV:

[CABLE FEED] goes into a 2 WAY SPLITTER. First leg should go to another 2 WAY SPLITTER. Each of these legs should feed the start modem and the Cogeco modem. Now, on the OTHER leg of the ery first way way should be a jumper coax running to the splitters that feed your televisions.

If you dont feel comfortable, just book a service call with Cogeco.

Anon665

@cgocable.net

Thank you! This is what I was looking for.

But we decided to just cancel everything (TV/phone) from cogeco and be done with it.