share rss forum feed

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to rfhar

Re: Windows 8's usage uptake falls further behind Vista's

I think Microsoft is in a tough spot. They seemed to have completely missed the ball on portable devices (like phones and tablets) and are facing declining PC sales on two fronts (people keeping their computers longer due to better tech, and people using phones/tablets as replacements).

They really put their eggs into the portable device basket and ignored the bread and butter (PC's). On of the RC (RTM's) still had the option to keep it in desktop all the time and have a start menu.

I tried the Window's 8 RTM / RC's. It's easy enough to get used to the metro/desktop hybrid interface, but is it better? On the first page someone posted that because its new people should get used to it. My thinking is just because something is new, doesn't automatically make it better. I tried win8 and I prefer win7. I don't like full screen stuff. All I did with win8 was try to make it more like win7.

MS's best bet would of been to make Metro optional and give people the choice. In that way everyone would win and Microsoft wouldn't of alienated a big chunk of their user base.

Now with the 39.99 upgrades gone and win8 going full price, I think the adoption rate will slow down quicker.

My prediction. Windows 9 will make metro optional. MS usually rectifies big mistakes in their next version (hence why every other version seems pretty good).

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
said by zod5000:

Now with the 39.99 upgrades gone and win8 going full price, I think the adoption rate will slow down quicker.

My prediction. Windows 9 will make metro optional. MS usually rectifies big mistakes in their next version (hence why every other version seems pretty good).

If I recall correctly the Windows 7 family pack showed up some time after a promotional period. So there may still be some opportunities to buy Windows 8 at a lower price at an unspecifide later date. You make a good point though. Some people may take advantage of a relatively low price but full price is another story.

As for "Windows 9" as you put it, there have been some indications that Windows will move to a faster paced annual update cycle. That means there may be three updates within the traditional timeframe of a big OS upgrade. While I have heard there will be interface changes I have yet to hear about the return of the start button.

If I were to guess I would expect MS to offer the "option" of making the Start Screen look and act a little more like a traditional Start menu but with live tiles. Maybe sizable New UI apps options and better multitasking for New UI apps. I don't expect a huge departure from their current direction though,....