share rss forum feed

switchman

join:1999-11-06

2 edits
reply to HELLFIRE

Re: How to manage two WAN and two ROUTER connections

said by HELLFIRE:

@switchman
Thanks for the pointers to that gear, got a price sheet for that stuff? It just may end up giving Anav's
Zyxel recommendations a run for their money.
Regards

The 3 port edgerouter lite that I linked to is $99 USD. No pricing yet on the larger routers they will be releasing later this year.

Go to »www.ubnt.com/purchase an find a reseller that you can purchse them through.

I want two intally, possibly four total, that I can run either openVPN or IPSec over. I also want a high throughput and support IPv6 for future proofing. I hate buying routers after 1 or 2 years use.

I currently have a pair of ASUS RT-N16 running PPTP. There is not enought memory to run open VPN, 4k base memory that DD-WRT has, When you use the newer firmware load with the GUI provisioning screen. I could never get the older firmware version to run open VPN.

I do want to point out these are not targeted as a home router, how many home routers support BGP or OSPF routing. As such, they don't hold you hand to set them up like a consumer based router does. As this is R1 of the software, it appears you still have to set some things up via the command line. I am sure future release sill make it better. You may want to look at the Wiki or donload the documentation from the links I posted above.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

Ha, as soon as you said command line, I think hellfire popped a woody. Seriously, be really interested in all your results with that unit.

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4

1 edit

Can you blame him? One million PPS, CLI AND a hundred bucks?! WIN WIN WIN!

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to switchman

said by switchman:

I want two intally, possibly four total, that I can run either openVPN or IPSec over. I also want a high throughput and support IPv6 for future proofing.

I placed an order for one of these today. I know they're back-ordered everywhere, so I'm not holding my breath.

On the topic of ipv6 and vpn though, I read today that some of these will not take advantage of the hardware acceleration in the ERL, so one must temper one's expectations. I don't doubt it's going to be another great little tool from the folks at UBNT.

»forum.ubnt.com/showthread.php?t=68185
--
db

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

It would appear these boxes are a work in progress and will take some tweaking. Not a plugNplay solution but more of a fixed pfsense in a box solution but without the flexibility or upgradeability. In others halfway to nowhere. HIgher cost, as much time to fart and fiddle with and at the end of the day...mehhhh

Just my totally wrong impression from reading that link

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Compared to pfsense, I like that the ERL has hardware accelerated routing, and a Linux base (I have nothing against FreeBSD, but I'm much handier with Linux). At $99 it's also more affordable than anything comparable that you could run pfsense on.

Pfsense on the other hand, appears to have a much more mature UI, such that the command line is unnecessary for most end users. It has more features than the ERL (even given the expanded ERL featureset available through the CLI), and a better user community in my opinion. Best of all, pfsense is entirely free software, while Edgemax is not.

All things considered, I won't be abandoning pfsense any time soon, but I do think the ERL is interesting for some scenarios.
--
db

switchman

join:1999-11-06

said by clarknova:

Best of all, pfsense is entirely free software, while Edgemax is not.

This is not a valid comparison. Edgmax is not a software product it is a hardware solution running software, so not a fair comparison. Show me a $99 piece of hardware that I can place the free pfsence software on with similar specs, then it is a fair comparison.

As far as the other points, I do agree.

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by switchman:

This is not a valid comparison.

You're right in that it's not entirely valid. Edgemax is software, ERL is hardware, and neither is particularly useful without the other at present.

pfsense is purely software, and entirely dependent on x86 hardware to provide any kind of end-user satisfaction.

My attempted comparison, if only implied, was between the specific pairing of EM with ERL, versus pfsense with any reasonably available x86 hardware. I think Edgemax vs pfsense is a reasonably fair comparison.

ERL vs the whole family of x86 hardware is a different animal, but still interesting when looking at specific applications. At the low end (cost and footprint), the ERL appears to be a real winner against x86. At the high end, ERL's acceleration functions give it quite an impressive reach, but the ceiling is nevertheless somewhat lower than what x86 can achieve with good software. I expect ER Pro and ER Carrier will address this gap.
--
db