how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Delgadido

join:2013-02-04
Tyler, TX

[Connectivity] Packet loss in tyler texas

Over the past week my internet has had sporadic connections. it has gotten worse lately and is only somewhat stable at night. I am a gamer and a student and I cannot deal with these current speeds and stability.

pinged my default gateway and this is what I got.

Ping statistics for 74.196.175.1:
Packets: Sent = 171, Received = 158, Lost = 13 (7% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 476ms, Average = 117ms

I will be having a technician come out on Wednesday but I am afraid he wont know what he is talking about.

Delgadido

Tyler, TX

Delgadido

Tyler, TX

Rickypro

Tyler, TX
See my thread right after yours. Do you live on the east side of town? If so, you may live in the same "node area" as I do and it looks like there may be a problem Suddenlink needs to sniff out!

Delgadido

Tyler, TX
yes I live right next to UT Tyler.

Nerd raging at this problem

SDL L3Tech

join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX
kudos:28
reply to Delgadido
Hello Delgadido. Please download and install Pingplotter PRO (Free trial) and run it for a 24 hour period when you're experiencing the problem. You can then click "file, save sample set" and then attach it to this thread.

Also, be sure to PM me your cable modem's MAC address and your public IP address. (»whatismyip.com)

SDL L3Tech

Tyler, TX
reply to Delgadido
Looks like your node experienced an brief SNR problem which unbalanced the modems. I flipped your modem a few minutes ago and we'll perform a proper rebalance during tonight's maintenance window. Let me know how tonight is.

Delgadido

Tyler, TX
reply to Delgadido
ok thanks. ping plotter is still running. ill let you know how it is tomorrow

Delgadido

Tyler, TX
reply to Delgadido
downloadping plotter.pp2.zip 100,370 bytes
acting up a little again.

i missed the technician cause i passed out from studying an all nighter

SDL L3Tech

Tyler, TX
reply to Delgadido
The 24 hour view looks clean within the Suddenlink network with the exception of the hit of packet-loss at 6pm. You'll notice that it starts at hop 1 (192.168.1.1) which is your router. Also, you can see that it happened at 6pm of the previous day too. Looks like your router takes a hit every 24 hours.

The increase in latency to the destination starts at hop 7 which is the Internap side of a TiNet circuit to Internap and is beyond my control. Hop 4 in the PP trace is the last hop in the Suddenlink network which shows no latency.

SteveFitz1

join:2004-01-24
Tyler, TX
I'm another resident of Tyler and live south of UT Tyler. After seeing this thread, I brought up PingPlotter only to find that every 2-5 minutes my latency spikes to 300-650 ms. And it appears to be happening at tyrmcmts-ptp.tex.sta.suddenlink.net. I've attached my PingPlotter for the past several hours. I'll PM my MAC and IP address.

Thanks.

SDL L3Tech

Tyler, TX
reply to Delgadido
Hello SteveFitz1. That is quite the pattern. The last few times I've seen a pattern like that, the customer had an automated backup service like Carbonite that was uploading data.

I'll go ahead and look closer at our network but make sure none of your computers are running anything that would be utilizing all of your upload bandwidth.

SDL L3Tech

Tyler, TX
reply to SteveFitz1
SteveFitz1, I just saw pings to your cable modem spike. I checked your upstream bandwidth utilization and it showed almost 100% utilization.

You have a 1.5mb upload contract on your cable modem which is quite easy to over subscribe. Once you find out which computer in your network it utilizing all of your upload your latency will return to normal.

Max capacity: 1,690,000
Current utilization @ 2:32pm CST: 1,602,622

SteveFitz1

join:2004-01-24
Tyler, TX
I've got some webcams that stream from one of my machines. They don't get accessed that much, but maybe that's what causing the usage. I'll definitely take a look at the machine they're on. Thanks very much for your help.

SDL L3Tech

Tyler, TX
reply to Delgadido
Nice landscaping you have there SteveFitz1.

Daxellos

join:2013-04-03
reply to Delgadido
Hi. I live close to Tyler and I've been having issues since March 26th. It was fine for a few days then started again. I'm getting severe packet loss past the first hop to where downloading or watching anything is impossible. Since this thread was already made, I figured I'd post my issue here as well. I hope that's alright.

Daxellos

reply to Delgadido
This definitely feels like something is overloaded. I've experienced this many times in the past. It usually lasts for a few days then goes away. This might be the longest It's lasted.

SDL L3Tech

Tyler, TX
Click for full size
Hello Daxellos. I believe the problem is localized to your home with either the cable drop from the pole to your home, a splitter in your home, or the cable modem. The node is free of errors and is not congested.

I can see severe packet-loss when pinging from the CMTS to your modem but not to any other modem in your neighborhood. I ran PP to your modem and the neighbor before and after your house number.

This will require a service call. Please call in and schedule one at your earliest convenience. Feel free to reference this thread.

Daxellos

Okay. Thanks for your help. I'm gonna try replacing the modem. It's been well over 5 years since I have.

Any docsis 2.0 or 3.0 should work?

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
Won't matter until you get around 20 megs download speed or faster, then you'll have to stick with Doc 3 modems to get channel bonding. If you are purchasing a modem yourself, don't even bother looking for Doc 2 modems. Pricing and features wouldn't make a Doc2 a smart new purchase anymore.

SDL L3Tech

Tyler, TX
reply to Delgadido
I would recommend a docsis 3 modem over docsis 2 any day.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Daxellos
Here's a great deal on a Motorola SB6121 (DOCSIS 3): »slickdeals.net/f/5947998-MOTOROL···wegg-com

Daxellos

reply to Delgadido
Replacing the modem did the trick. Everything is back to full speed.

Thanks a bunch!