BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone

Re: BB10 launches Jan 30

Did you even read the quarterly reports? iPhone 5 sales are still on ramp up with new markets adding sales. The only thing that went down slightly was the profit margin and that was including the lower priced iOS devices which was why the margin went down.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by BACONATOR26:

iPhone 5 sales are still on ramp up with new markets adding sales. The only thing that went down slightly was the profit margin and that was including the lower priced iOS devices which was why the margin went down.

Ramp up? You mean significantly reducing orders for iPhone 5 components last month due to reduced demand?

Is that what Apple is calling "ramp up" these days?
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen

Premium Member

said by Gone:

Ramp up? You mean significantly reducing orders for iPhone 5 components last month due to reduced demand?

Gotta love supply chain rumours and speculation. Forty-eight million iPhones sold (not shipped) in the last quarter. Nosediving my ass.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by BACONATOR26:

iPhone 5 sales are still on ramp up with new markets adding sales. The only thing that went down slightly was the profit margin and that was including the lower priced iOS devices which was why the margin went down.

Could it be perhaps they already had a large number of component orders fulfilled last quarter? Seems to me you just read the headlines and have no idea how these companies work. See what Riamen said, check the Apple quarterly report and then tell me that.

CanadianRip
join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON

CanadianRip to Riamen

to Riamen
said by Riamen:

Gotta love supply chain rumours and speculation. Forty-eight million iPhones sold (not shipped) in the last quarter. Nosediving my ass.

Steve Jobs from the grave spreads the gospel through his devoted disciples!

You're counting it wrong!
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

said by Gone:

said by BACONATOR26:

Could it be perhaps they already had a large number of component orders fulfilled last quarter? Seems to me you just read the headlines and have no idea how these companies work. See what Riamen said, check the Apple quarterly report and then tell me that.

I'd recommend you have a look at the latest Verizon report. Half of their 6.2 million iPhone sales were iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S sales.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to CanadianRip

Premium Member

to CanadianRip
Numbers don't lie. The 48m might not be all iPhone 5 but it pushed them to #1 in the US (»www.forbes.com/sites/ora ··· -in-u-s/) and produced 2 million pre-orders in China (»news.cnet.com/8301-13579 ··· weekend/).

To me that tells me iPhone 5 demand is strong.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

No, I know exactly how this works. You order your components based on projected manufacturing based on sales forecasts. If your sales forecasts aren't meeting your own expectations - no matter how "good" they otherwise might be - you reduce production which means that you also reduce component purchases rather than be stuck with a glut of unserviceable inventory on your balance sheet. If this is indeed true, it means that sales projections have been lower for a longer period of time than just the last quarter. As for the end result of something like this happening in January, we can discuss this further when the next quarterly report is released. Their sales might be strong, but they aren't nearly as strong as Apple themselves expected. In other words - they screwed up.

And really, the writing was on the wall the day Lord Jobs was laid to rest. Tim Cook might be a smarter guy than John Sculley when it comes to running Apple, but no one commands control of the marketing gears (and in turn, the reality distortion field) the same way that Jobs did. It's starting to show. Anyone who refuses to acknowledge this is themselves living in that same reality distortion field.
Riamen
Premium Member
Calgary

Riamen

Premium Member

said by Gone:

No, I know exactly how this works.

Yes but you're going on the assumption that the supply chain rumours are true. Apple is very secretive so it's not easy to know what's really going on. Still the numbers were huge last quarter, record sales of iDevices and Apple in 2012 was the most profitable company in history. Too bad Samsung doesn't release their unit sales, it'd be interesting to compare.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Here are some of the numbers: »www.onbile.com/info/sams ··· tistics/

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Riamen

Premium Member

to Riamen
said by Riamen:

Yes but you're going on the assumption that the supply chain rumours are true. Apple is very secretive so it's not easy to know what's really going on.

Apple themselves might be secretive, but their suppliers aren't. People knew that the 7" iPad Mini was going to happen long before Apple even acknowledged its existence based on LCD orders to Samsung (or was it LG? Either way, you get the point). Based on this, I'm not so naive (nor living in the above-noted reality distortion field) as to outright dismiss numerous reports of what's going on up the supply chain just because Apple hasn't said anything about them. Operating on the assumption that Apple will forever be a darling and refusing to accept the potential for anything otherwise just because of their current (or, perhaps, "past") success is both foolish and delusional.

As for Samsung sales figures, they're easily obtainable. Try harder.
Riamen
Premium Member
Calgary

Riamen

Premium Member

said by Gone:

I'm not so naive (nor living in the above-noted reality distortion field) as to outright dismiss numerous reports of what's going on up the supply chain just because Apple hasn't said anything about them.

And I'm not so naive as to believe them either. There may be some truth to the reports but I take all such things with a grain of salt. They've been wrong so many times in the past.
said by Gone:

As for Samsung sales figures, they're easily obtainable.

Samsung doesn't release unit sales with their quarterly reports, just total dollar sales. All I could find were outdated documents released during the Samsung v Apple trial and numbers (ie guesses) released by industry "experts".

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Riamen:

And I'm not so naive as to believe them either. There may be some truth to the reports but I take all such things with a grain of salt. They've been wrong so many times in the past.

People have been going on about unrealized iPhone 5 demand for a while now, so these reports about the supply chain aren't exactly out of left field.

If one smells smoke, there's probably a fire burning.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to Riamen

Premium Member

to Riamen
Look up 2 posts. I posted the link to the figures.
Riamen
Premium Member
Calgary

Riamen

Premium Member

said by Juggernaut:

Look up 2 posts. I posted the link to the figures.

They're not from Samsung.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
No, Apple will never sell 630m phones in one quarter.