spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Xee
join:2005-02-22
USA

Xee

Question about setup

My brother had Uverse installed over the summer and called me the other week asking if I had any advice for increasing the wifi coverage in their basement. I came over this weekend to see what the setup was and have one question.

They have a two-story house and the modem/router is on the second floor. They have a cheap lcd tv on the first floor which has a splitter with an antenna on it and no dvr. Their "main" tv is in the basement and has the DVR. I'm assuming the antenna on the first floor tv is to communicate with DVR to watch recorded shows.

The thing I have a question about though is, in the room where the modem is, they have a Slinglink Homeplug adapter plugged into an outlet with an ethernet cable running to the modem. I've searched the entire house and I can't find what the purpose of that adapter is as there isn't a second one anywhere to take advantage of it.

Anyone have an idea? Also, can I just tell my brother to buy a second Homeplug adapter and use it with another wireless router in the basement to increase coverage? Thanks in advance.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by Xee:

The thing I have a question about though is, in the room where the modem is, they have a Slinglink Homeplug adapter plugged into an outlet with an ethernet cable running to the modem. I've searched the entire house and I can't find what the purpose of that adapter is as there isn't a second one anywhere to take advantage of it.

All powerline adapters must be paired.
The adapters can be a multiport device that looks nothing like the wall outlet adapter
Xee
join:2005-02-22
USA

Xee

Well, I looked all over the house and every outlet is clear. I suppose I'll just tell my brother to remove the adapter from the outlet as it isn't serving any purpose.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by Xee:

Well, I looked all over the house and every outlet is clear. I suppose I'll just tell my brother to remove the adapter from the outlet as it isn't serving any purpose.

...or, if it is, you will find out what its purpose is!