share rss forum feed

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

ABB Ultimate HD Channel Thread 2013

With the updates here in Cumberland, the post I did before is too old to reply to. To keep this current, I will be posting a monthly update, even if there is no change.

Cumberland: 50 national HD channels, 14 premium HD channels, 64 total (0 PPV)
Altoona/Johnstown: 30 national HD channels, 7 premium HD channels, 37 total (0 PPV)
Uniontown: 48 national HD channels, 23 premium HD channels, 71 total (0 PPV)
Eastern Shore: 57 national HD channels, 31 premium HD channels, 88 total (1 PPV)
South Florida: 66 national HD channels, 12 premium HD channels, 78 total (1 PPV)
South Carolina: 44 national HD channels, 6 premium HD channels, 50 total (0 PPV)

Everywhere: These HD channels are in all 6 clusters. I count 26 of these.

A&E HD
ABC Family HD
Animal Planet HD
Bio. HD
CNBC HD
CNN HD
Discovery HD
Disney HD
E! HD
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
Food Network HD
Fox News HD
FX HD
HGTV HD
History HD
Lifetime HD
National Geographic HD
NFL Network HD
Science HD
Syfy HD
TBS HD
TLC HD
TNT HD
USA HD
Velocity HD

Wide: These HD channels are in at least 50% of the clusters. Listed beside these are the clusters missing them. I count 25 of these.

AMC HD (Altoona/Johnstown, Uniontown, South Carolina)
Bravo HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
Cartoon Network HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
CMT HD (Cumberland, Altoona/Johnstown)
Comedy Central HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
Disney XD HD (Altoona/Johnstown, South Carolina)
ESPNEWS HD (Altoona/Johnstown, South Florida, South Carolina)*
ESPNU HD (Altoona/Johnstown, Uniontown, Eastern Shore)
Golf Channel HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
Hallmark Channel HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
HLN HD (Altoona/Johnstown, Uniontown, South Carolina)
IFC HD (Altoona/Johnstown, Uniontown, South Carolina)
LMN HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
MSNBC HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
MTV HD (Altoona/Johnstown, South Carolina)
NBC Sports Network HD (South Carolina)
NFL RedZone HD (Uniontown)
Nickelodeon HD (Altoona/Johnstown, South Carolina)
Speed HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
Spike HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
Travel Channel HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
truTV HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
TCM HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
VH1 HD (Cumberland, Altoona/Johnstown, South Carolina)
Weather Channel HD (Altoona/Johnstown)

*-I included ESPNEWS HD for Cumberland as MASN2 HD (channel 748) airs ESPNEWS 24 hours a day except during baseball season, where it airs it 20 hours a day (4 hours being for overflow Orioles/Nationals pregame, game and postgame show)

Limited: These HD channels are in less than 50% of the clusters. Here I list the clusters that have these channels. I count 21 of these.

AXS.TV HD (South Florida, South Carolina)
BBC America HD (South Florida)
BET HD (South Florida)
BTN HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
Destination America HD (Eastern Shore)
Fox Business Network HD (Cumberland, South Florida)
Hallmark Movie Channel HD (South Florida)
HDNet Movies (South Florida, South Carolina)
H2 HD (South Florida)
HSN HD (Uniontown, Eastern Shore)
ID HD (Eastern Shore, South Florida)
NatGeo Wild HD (Eastern Shore)
OWN HD (Eastern Shore, South Florida)
Outdoor Channel HD (Cumberland, Altoona/Johnstown)
Oxygen HD (South Florida)
QVC HD (Uniontown, Eastern Shore)
Smithsonian Channel HD (South Florida)
Style HD (Eastern Shore, South Florida)
TBN HD (South Florida)
Tennis Channel HD (South Florida)
Wealth TV HD (South Florida)

Premiums: These 6 are everywhere.

HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Starz Kids & Family, Encore, Showtime

HBO 2, HBO Signature, HBO Family, HBO Latino, Showtime 2, Starz Edge, Starz Comedy and The Movie Channel are Wide.

In total, there are 103 HD channels in the ABB sphere now, and that's getting closer to the bigger guys. But everyone has room for improvement.

The everywhere channels will grow immensely once Altoona/Johnstown gets some love.

Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast
To keep this fresh, last night I saw 2 commercials for Fox Movie Channel with Atlantic Broadband information afterward.

This channel is only carried in the South Carolina cluster, so is anyone seeing this added to their lineups? There's no sign of it here.

There is an HD version, so this may become an additional possibility.

JimmyK814

join:2010-12-29
Altoona, PA
I called last night to ask if there were any plans for additional HD channels. They guy on the other end of the phone told me that as long as I have the HD set top box, that EVERY channel is already in high definition.

I wonder if this person is uninformed or it's some new deceptive marketing?

Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast
My guess is uninformed. A lot of people just think everything is HD automatically when they're watching their stretch-o-vision.

In my experience, and sometimes I've called/asked, is that ABB is very tight-lipped about adding HD channels. When they've come on here, I've literally just found them in the guide and they were live the next day.

I would love to see them have notices the way that Time Warner Cable does. Really, I'd just love them to have Time Warner Cable's NY lineups. The Western NY systems are around 170 HD channels.

I'd be happy getting to 100 HD channels myself. I think we easily will once things go all-digital here.

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA
I needed a new remote control today, so I stopped by the office. I asked if there were any plans for additional HD channels in this area. To my surprise, the person told me they had a meeting about a month ago, and there are plans for another 30-50 channels "soon" for Altoona. No set date, however.

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA

1 edit
reply to Os
So it hasn't made it online yet, but in today's printed newspaper there was an article that mentioned beginning in September, they will begin adding scores of HD channels to be completed by the end of the year.

It seemed like a follow-up to a notice that they are dropping KDKA in Pittsburgh from the lineup in March. It may have been announced that way to soften the blow in case anyone cared.

I occasionally watched the news on that channel, but now you can find it on the Pittsburgh CW channel too.

It's likely a case of KDKA increasing retransmission fee's too much, in which case it makes sense to drop them since the channel's original non-CBS programming is so limited.

ABBJason

join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA
reply to Os
Yay! Someone else said it! It is very hard to not reveal good news but we weren't told at the meeting that we were allowed to inform customers yet. Every system is being brought up to 80-100 HD channels in 2013. No ETA given to us yet. Trust me, everyone wants our system to get some much needed updates.

Os

US
80-100 means more for us too in Cumberland.

It looks to be an exciting year, and I'm looking forward to seeing what more channels come.

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA
reply to ABBJason
Does this finally mean a conversion to digital for the analog channels to squeeze everything in? If so, what happens to TV's without a $9.99 set-top box? Will TV's with a digital tuner be able to pick up the digital channels, or will they be encrypted and require the little DTA boxes?

May be too early to ask, but I just wondered.

Should be interesting to see how everything unfolds. Still 6 months until the September start mentioned in the Altoona Mirror.

ABBJason

Altoona, PA
It does not mean a digital conversion. For whatever reasons that doesn't seem to be on the books for Altoona/Johnstown. This is what we are doing to free up channel space. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched_video So by my understanding basically we'll take the least used channels that are on a digital tier anyway, so this will only affect people who have set top boxes.

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA
Pretty interesting. I was reading about this a while back when Comcast and TWC were deploying it. Hopefully there are considerations for CableCard devices. It seems like the cable company provides a special "tuning adapter" for the cable card devices like Tivo's and HD HomeRUN.

I guess the SDV route will keep the value tier subscribers happy if it doesn't obsolete all of those analog TV tuners out there.

SDV sounds a lot like turning static channels into shared VOD channels.

Do all the current boxes support SDV, or just the newer ones? If they all do, that sounds like a pretty reasonable upgrade cost-wise since the individual subscriber replacements is where you would get into a lot of money.

Anyway, that's good news!

Os

US
reply to Os
SDV is great news, and has created more capacity than going all-digital.

Will all markets be using SDV?

ABBJason

Altoona, PA
I don't recall 100%. I know Altoona/Johnstown is going SDV. Some northern areas in PA are going all digital this year with DTA's. I'm not sure what if anything is happening in Cumberland, or if they just have the space to add more channels.

ABBJason

Altoona, PA
reply to JimmyK814
I really don't know all the technical details, that is outside the scope of what I do here. I do know one other thing though, new set top boxes are coming with a way better user interface.

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA
reply to ABBJason
Imagine if SDV would be combined with going all digital. The capacity would be pretty amazing.

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA
reply to ABBJason
I have one of the newer Cisco 8652's. Do you think they will be entirely new boxes, or upgradable software on some of them? If not upgradable, I wonder how easy it will be to swap.

My whole reason for making a HTPC with a cable card was because of the lousy DVR software.

Os

US
reply to ABBJason
We're up to 78 HD channels now with HLN HD, Disney XD HD, Weather Channel HD, TruTV HD, IFC HD, ESPNU HD, Fox Business HD, Starz Edge HD, HBO Signature HD, HBO Family HD, TMC HD and Showtime Showcase HD all being added this month here in Cumberland.

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA
That's pretty close to 80. Hopefully that's not your full upgrade.

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA
reply to Os
Does the HD version of The Weather Channel have the local weather, or still just the national feed?

Os

US
It's just the national feed. No locals on the HD feed.

Remember that our HD count is pushed up somewhat by having additional local stations.

Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Os
beIn Sports HD has been added in South Florida on Channel 957.

This takes the numbers to the following:

Cumberland: 50 national HD channels, 14 premium HD channels, 64 total (0 PPV)
Altoona/Johnstown: 30 national HD channels, 7 premium HD channels, 37 total (0 PPV)
Uniontown: 48 national HD channels, 23 premium HD channels, 71 total (0 PPV)
Eastern Shore: 57 national HD channels, 31 premium HD channels, 88 total (1 PPV)
South Florida: 67 national HD channels, 12 premium HD channels, 79 total (1 PPV)
South Carolina: 44 national HD channels, 6 premium HD channels, 50 total (0 PPV)

ABBJason

Altoona, PA
reply to JimmyK814
said by JimmyK814:

I have one of the newer Cisco 8652's. Do you think they will be entirely new boxes, or upgradable software on some of them? If not upgradable, I wonder how easy it will be to swap.

My whole reason for making a HTPC with a cable card was because of the lousy DVR software.

New boxes. Basically the way it was explained to us, is Cisco bought Scientific Atlanta. They and Motorola both make cable boxes but it really isn't a focus for them, so they do like next to no work on UI. The boxes we are supposed to be getting are some kind of partnership with Tivo. I know that raises a lot of questions, and I don't have any answers about it now. I've never used a Tivo setup personally, nobody I know has one, but supposedly UI is a big deal with Tivo, so it is supposed to be very good.

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA
Should be interesting. Tivo would be a huge upgrade as long as it doesn't upgrade the cost too much with it.

Mountaintech

join:2003-05-30
Cumberland, MD
reply to Os
said by Os:

It's just the national feed. No locals on the HD feed.

Locals on the 8 are being worked on

NikAmi

join:2009-09-12
Easton, PA
reply to Os
I would rather have ABB focus on improving the picture quality in their current HD channels than add new ones at the same crappy quality that we see currently. There is something seriously wrong, when my $35 Raspberry Pi board with an ESPN app can stream better quality video, by a wide margin, than what ABB's ESPNHD channel provides. Why even bother having cake TV service if I can get far better picture quality over the Internet? Every time I watch TV I am constantly pulled out of the experience by picture noise and artifacts. Hulu/Netflix and an OTA antennae is looking like a damn good option right about now.

Os

US
We have no issues with the HD channels here.

ABBJason

Altoona, PA
reply to NikAmi
Please feel free to contact customer service if you have picture noise and artifacts. That is not normal, you are experiencing a problem.

Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Os
Atlantic Broadband is the cable company in Moorefield, WV (population 2,544). Their lineup there in this small town offers a very small digital package, no HD, and internet speeds up to 15/1.5 Mbps.

HardyNet, the local rural telephone cooperative, is launching a FTTH service and this week, unveiled their channel lineup. They're going to launch with a very comprehensive channel lineup including 137 HD channels with local stations out of DC, Harrisonburg and Clarksburg.

Ouch.

Also, it should be added Local on the 8's are live on Weather Channel HD (channel 762) and that the HD feeds have the capability to have local ads spliced into cable, which has not happened before.

Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Os
I'm just keeping this updated, nothing has changed that I've seen, but TVGN has indeed been dropped throughout the company.

The HD options from Atlantic Broadband continue to be less than every other cable company and much lesser than either satellite platform.

Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Os
Just keeping this updated, Clearfield has had all value channels go digital from 18 up, so they will be receiving a lot of new HD channels. Considering they only had 19 to start with, that will be welcome for them.

No sign of SDV in Altoona/Johnstown yet, and nothing new in Cumberland. Because of the lack of HD, I left last month for DirecTV, but I will keep following this, and I do hope Atlantic Broadband catches up at some point to provide greater choice to the marketplace. If they can do so in the next 2 years, I might return for TV.