Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Laptop issue

I bought this, »www.staples.com/Samsung-Series-3···t_985037

I got it for $260 for the purpose of streaming NetFlix and internet video to a TV and let my kids play around on it. Streaming works fine and I connect the laptop to the TV via HDMI, no problems at all. Everything else seems to work, slow compared to my desk top but fine for what I'm using it for.

Here's the problem, I can't seem to play a video file from the hard drive without the video being choppy or freezing??? Using VLC as the player, video format is H.264. CPU is running at about 45% during attempted play back, RAM is fine, Hard drive isn't maxing out, I just can't figure out why I can seem to play a video from my hard drive.

Any ideas what is going on here???

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

The video processing isn't good enough.
Laptops rarely see enough juice to run real quality movies on large TV screens.
This has been raised a few times, I was even looking at a box of old computer parts with a brand new graphics card and it wouldn't have enough juice to deal with high quality video either.
What I bought to fix the issue was a WD live box to run an external powered HDD for video file source. Hasn't missed a beat.
»www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to Corehhi

That chip should definitely play 1080p files fine, provided GPU acceleration is being used (I used to have an E-350 in my old HTPC). Try going to the VLC preferences window, Input and Codecs. The GPU acceleration options are at the top.

If that still doesn't work, maybe try MPC-HC or XBMC. I used XBMC with DXVA options enabled and everything played very well on the E-350.
--
KI6RIT

Corehhi

Bluffton, SC

I have XBMC on the laptop but only use it for Navi-x, easy enough to try that. I'm thinking I have a software issue not a hardware issue I'll have to check to see if GPU acceleration is on.

I know tonight hopefully what's going on.

Corehhi

Bluffton, SC
reply to Corehhi

Problem solved I turned on GPU acceleration and 720P is playing fine. Now if I could get better at this Damn Win 8 I'll be a happy guy. LOL> Oh I hate Win 8 BTW.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit
reply to n_w95482

said by n_w95482:

That chip should definitely play 1080p files fine, provided GPU acceleration is being used (I used to have an E-350 in my old HTPC). Try going to the VLC preferences window, Input and Codecs. The GPU acceleration options are at the top.

Why would things like that need to be turned on to enable playback?
What I'm saying is:
Is that due to newer CPU's? So why it isn't set by default?
Surely with all hardware produced now it should be?

On the point of plugging into a large TV though, is the quality still okay? Any computer screen is fine for the detail, but big screens really show the weakness of some chips power.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

It was already enabled on my main PC when I checked. The VLC developers probably know why it's not enabled on some machines, perhaps compatibility issues with certain AMD graphics hardware, or settings carried over from a previous/unstable version. I don't know for sure myself.

I ran that HTPC on my 46" Samsung 1080p TV and it looked fine for both video playback and general usage. I've since replaced that machine with one powered by an A8-3870K. Videos look and run the same in XBMC, but now it can play 1080p Flash videos without dropping frames, as well as being much faster in games.

I tried a couple of 1080p Blu-ray rips with the E-350 in XBMC with acceleration enabled, and it handled it quite well. With DXVA acceleration disabled, it was unplayable.
--
KI6RIT

Corehhi

Bluffton, SC
reply to Corehhi

Yes the quality is good on a 50 inch plasma I have, no problems once I turned the acceleration on. What looks the worse is The History Channel streaming and a couple of other channels with internet streaming but that's not the fault of the computer they just don't stream good quality.