spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GW

@telus.net

Didn't switch over insurance and registration when moving

I have been in Alberta longer than 3 months but did not switch over my Manitoba insurance and registration to Alberta. I was just in an accident (not at fault) but do not know what the implications are going to be for me. I have filed a police report and contacted MPI, but nothing else has happened yet. MPI wants me to give a statement, and I'm not sure what to say...

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

I'd hazard a guess that unless you can prove some sort of residency in Manitoba you may find yourself with voided provincial auto insurance.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

said by Gone:

I'd hazard a guess that unless you can prove some sort of residency in Manitoba you may find yourself with voided provincial auto insurance.

AKA a whole lotta hurt....or in this case...if its not your fault...wait, how does insurance in Alberta work? Is it like Ontario where its "No fault" aka you go through your own insurance?

I don't know how things work outside Ontario.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to GW

Had a family member in the same boat. Moved to Calgary and lived there for a few months and was t-boned by a certain demographic who can't drive. Told them he wasn't a permanent resident yet as he wasn't sure he was going to stay and considered his time to be transitory and not permanent. Be careful what you say.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
reply to GW

You are supposed to switch licence and insurance and within 90 days if you move and take up residency. If you are transient , temporary or a student or a coop student you don't have to switch. You are walking a fine line if its the others fault, as Peterborough mentioned watch what you say. Don't lie though it will come back to bite you. You may want to seek legal advice from a free consultation with a paralegal or the law society.
Time is of essence as you are supposed to report within a deadline.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
reply to GW

I would just say I'm visiting. Nothing illegal about that.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by Mike2009:

I would just say I'm visiting. Nothing illegal about that.

I was visiting St. Catharines, Ontario, for three years before I officially resided here. During those three years I had two similar situations to the OP's and provided my 'official' residence address.