how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kruuth

join:2013-02-04

Can't check email with any program right now

Whenever I try to check my mail with earthlink I get an error:
"The connection was intentionally closed by the server before the session was completed"

Is there something going on? I just spent 30 minutes with their tech support and was told it was my software. They went through and manually set the account with all the proper settings. Anyone else seeing this?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
Here is a FAQ when the Program Mailwasher gets that exact error.

»support.firetrust.com/index.php?···cleid=78
quote:
The session was intentionally closed by the server before the session was completed.

Solution

1. MailWasher Pro was written to comply with POP3 standards and if for some reason the server you are dialing into has an error, or is not fully compliant (it's more common than you think), then MailWasher Pro does nothing and the server disconnects. It could also just be a temporary communication problem causing the server to disconnect from MailWasher Pro.

2. You should be using your POP3 settings given by your Internet Service Provider to dial in to the server, not a proxy such as 127.0.0.1, pop.nortons.antivirus or localhost.

3. There is a bug in Norton Internet Security and Nortons Antivirus 2002, so users should disable the incoming mail scanning in NAV 2002 to prevent the disconnections, although you may need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

Upgrading to NAV 2004, or switching AV applications, would also resolve this issue.

4. You may also receive this error if using AVG 7. To solve this problem, you must follow these steps:

•Double click on the AVG icon on the task bar next to the system clock.

•Double click on Email Scanner.

•Select Use the personal test configuration and click on Properties.

•Click on Servers tab.

•On the Email proxy server list, please double click on POP3:port 10110....Host.

•Click on Connection, (under Server Type) and under Type of login, select Automatic > Ok > Ok > Ok.

5. Users of VET and EZ AntiVirus should temporarily disable their email scanner.

--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

kruuth

join:2013-02-04
Thank you but that doesn't change things...I am also having the same problem with Thunderbird, plus, I'm running Avast! without the email scanner running.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
Try checking and resetting your HOSTS file.

How can I reset the Hosts file back to the default?
»support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Also verify that under your Internet Options there are no Proxy servers listed.

The error you are getting is pointing to a software or settings issue likely at your end.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

hunterba

@verizon.net
reply to kruuth
Earthlink has a problem with one of their pop servers - it has been down for 3 days and they don't seem to know what to do about it (or are not dedicating resources to do anything about it.) Following is the text of my email to K Brand, Exec VP of Customer Care.

"One of my 5 email accounts with Earthlink (the most important one) went down on Tuesday morning and has been down since then. Your tech support people freely admit you have a server problem however all I get from them is platitudes – “we have a problem and we are working on it.”

Since Tuesday morning I have spent countless hours in an on-line chat session with someone who had no idea how to handle the issue, and 4 calls to your support people. The bottom line is we are still down and no one can tell me when we will be up and running again. This problem is impacting multiple Earthlink customers however, in our case, this inability to handle incoming emails is costing us time and, more importantly, lost revenue.

Just now I spoke to a technical “supervisor” who again could not tell me what the problem is or when it will be fixed and, more importantly, could not tell me how or to whom to escalate the problem.

This is not good enough. I have been a loyal Earthlink customer since you first started the business however I may not be for much longer. What you lack is a visible and well communicated escalation process and the ability for people like me who rely on your services to talk to senior management. These shortcomings are echoed time after time in the online forums and chat rooms.

Please, please stress with your people that you have customers out there who are dependant on your continued service and that, unless we get that, we will have look elsewhere."

Based on previous performance, I'm not holding my breath waiting for a reply - it may helkp if others sent email to the same guy (kbrand@corp.earthlink.net)