uniqs
bigjoesmith
join:2000-11-21
Peoria, IL

2 edits

bigjoesmith to pflog

to pflog

Re: Netflix Super HD and alternatives

I think unblock-us.com is a little different than just a straight VPN. It's hard to tell from their site, but I think they use a combination of altered DNS data and custom proxy services to offer something that differs from a regular VPN. unblock-us only works with services (e.g. like Netflix) that they have specifically coded for.

It may be something like the following: you enter Netflix.com into your browser: their DNS servers direct you not to the normal IPs for Netflix.com, but to a custom IP address, which is unblock-us's proxy for Netflix. They apparently proxy just a part of the communication with Netflix (perhaps the authentication), providing a US-based IP to the real Netflix service. The remainder of the communication, the actual streaming, happens direct, without have to go through their proxy. The advantage is that the Netflix communication goes at the speed of your internet connection and is not slowed by unblock-us's proxy/vpn service.

More details on how unblock-us actually works would be helpful, but they are keeping the information under wraps.

This link provides a bit of information on unblockus: »www.damonkohler.com/2012 ··· ity.html

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Seems like it'd be prone to breakage if/when Netflix changes, well, anything on their end. And you'd still have to be tunneling the traffic through their servers, otherwise I don't see how it would work.

Sounds like when it works, it's great, but I question if it would work for everyone (depending on their datacenter presence) or how reliably it would work.

If I were the OP, I would not make an internet speed upgrade decision based on a week of trying this service, but that's just me.

bradyr
YCCD - Network Operations
Premium Member
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA

bradyr

Premium Member

According to netflix.com, superhd requires 5Mbps minimum and 7Mbps for highest quality stream.

Realistically, I'd say that you'd want a sustained rate of 8-10Mbps, for the superHD stream plus your normal background bull-roar.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by bradyr:

According to netflix.com, superhd requires 5Mbps minimum and 7Mbps for highest quality stream.

As stated here:
»support.netflix.com/en/node/8731

Realistically, I'd say that you'd want a sustained rate of 8-10Mbps, for the superHD stream plus your normal background bull-roar.

I would concur with this observation.