uniqs
share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

audiolocator

join:2001-11-30
Saint Peters, MO
reply to Janemba

Re: 37% Ultra 100 Price increase??

I wouldn't mind paying $102.99/mo if I actually got 100 Mbps speeds between the hours of 4PM and Midnight, instead of the three Mbps I get now. The network is oversaturated and completely unusable, which is why I am cancelling.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
Doesn't matter what the reason is you're canceling. Charter just may get the message eventually, if they aren't as totally brain dead as they currently are appearing to be.

Good luck on who ever you're switching to.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Premium
join:2012-06-11
Yep, it looks like this new team of executive management headed up by Tom Rutledge will ONLY respond to a significant number of subscribers CANCELLING to get the point across.

Obviously the stick is needed, not the carrot, with this brass tack crowd.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
reply to Janemba
I cancelled the 100/5 package after my contract expired. The price increase, from the contract to regular cost, plus the new price plan, makes it not worth it.
--
Google is your Friend

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1
I want to do the same. But, as I said before. If I ever want to get the service again in the future. I am not willing to pay the $200 activation fee for them just to hit the switch. The new speed increases have to be coming soon. It usually a annual thing. I cant see them raising the rates just because and not give a upgrade.

anhisr

join:2001-12-01
Ballwin, MO
New management means things will not be as they were. Just because they are "due" to have a speed increase, looking at past history, means nothing with this new management team.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to KoRnGtL15
said by KoRnGtL15:

I want to do the same. But, as I said before. If I ever want to get the service again in the future. I am not willing to pay the $200 activation fee for them just to hit the switch. The new speed increases have to be coming soon. It usually a annual thing. I cant see them raising the rates just because and not give a upgrade.

That's kind of sad that you are willing to continue forking out the big bucks for a service you more or less say you don't want anymore just because they MAY charge you $200 activation fee later. I can see that going away also, once these numbnuts at Charter see what they aren't gaining and in fact losing!

Also kind of sad that you're that addicted to that speed that you think you can't survive on the 30/4 plan, which as you're hoping the annual speed increase will effect that plan also, if it comes.

Seeing as how most people want to take everything so personal, I'm going to add that is not an attack on you or your thought process or anything similar.
--
The Firefox alternative.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
Nothing personal and I understand what you are saying. I don't know. I was doing some numbers and it will be at $85 a month each year $1,020. Compared to $55 a month each year $660. Guess I never really looked at the numbers and thought $30 difference was not to bad for Ultra. Now that I am seeing it. Over 1k a year for internet only is a lot of money.... They need a in between tier like business....

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to KoRnGtL15
said by KoRnGtL15:

Make the change at your local office. They can put a note on your account that you have (had) the 100M package before the policy change. Thus if you want to switch back, you will not be charged the activation fee.
--
Google is your Friend

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
How do you know this? This is Charter we are talking about and I kinda find it hard to believe. My local office is horrible.

said by Dogg:

said by KoRnGtL15:

Make the change at your local office. They can put a note on your account that you have (had) the 100M package before the policy change. Thus if you want to switch back, you will not be charged the activation fee.

mbreslin

join:2012-01-30
Turlock, CA
reply to Janemba
Price increases always suck.

That said I generally get 100/5 even during peak hours so I'm reasonably happy with charter the last couple years. As for the overall price, in 1993 when dsl was just rolling out in our area (and no cable internet at all yet) I begged for someone to come along and take my money and give me decent speeds in return.

Unless charter goes belly up and I have to move to slower u-verse I'm never going backward in speed, price be damned.

And before someone says it's "asinine" or "sad", trust me, I'm not sad.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to senseotech
said by senseotech:

Good for you that you wouldn't pay it, but to call me asinine because I find value and use in it? Thanks for assuming you represent the maximum usage of everyone everywhere. Did you hear that everyone? Cork1958 says 100meg is asinine, lets just stop advancing network technologies since no one needs or wants that speed.

I am not fundamentally opposed to 100 Mbps Internet; but I am practically disinclined to spend even $50 a month for Internet. I would prefer to pay $19.98 for 4.9 Mbps over paying $110 for 100 Mbps; or even $50 for 30 Mbps.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Premium
join:2012-06-11
NormanS:

You reflect my views as well. I think that most consumers don't even realize that you don't need more than 30mb to stream live reasonable quality HD video...all they know is that marketing departments from various service providers tell them that the faster, the better. They do no research themselves.

Uninformed consumers make it difficult for those who are informed to get reasonably priced service.

My experience is that lowest ping times are more critical for a better internet experience than faster speeds.

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
They can do all the research they want to get "informed", but it isn't going to do any good, if there is no competition in their local area.

DSL to me is not competition.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by msmisfit:

DSL to me is not competition.

If you are stuck with IFITL, or 1.5 Mbps, tops, from AT&T, I'd agree.
--
Norman

Ryan818

join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR
What it all comes down to is that Charter is too greedy to offer a lower speed tier to their internet packages. They also penalize the customers who only want to have internet and not bundle TV and phone. In general things were much better before the new management took over and increased prices and cut services all across the board. Why not got back to the days when they at least offered 4 distinct internet packages that suited all walks of internet users. I tried the 100/5 package for about 3 months and found that it was overkill for me. I also could never achieve the advertised speeds due to oversaturated nodes in my neighborhood. It was not a good value given that I couldn't achieve even 70% of advertised speeds.

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
reply to NormanS
That's it in my subdivision...IFITL. No U-verse coming here, if that's any better.

Besides, Charter reliability would have to suffer VERY badly for me to go back to AT&T. I had horrible service experiences with AT&T; just the opposite of what the BellSouth teleco experience had been for years.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
In my case, SBC was an improvement over Pacific Bell (one of two ILEC companies under The Pacific Telesis Group; bought by SBC in 1996). Prices went to Hell after SBC/AT&T bought Bellsouth; they started jacking legacy SBC prices up to the legacy Bellsouth levels.

Still, DSL is competitive in the S.F. Bay Area. Our MSO is Comcast, whose prices run higher than the other MSOs. And I found the AT&T 3.0 Mbps tier to be a reasonable compromise of cost vs. speed, even at BS price levels, when compared with Comcast. Plus we have at least two DSL CLECs with decent tiers for the price.

BTW, I fired them, and hired Sonic.net, LLC because of cap-and-overage; low-cost ($19.98 for the data line item), moderately high speed (4.9 Mbps on the loop AT&T would only offer 3.0 meg service on) was a bonus.

Because Comcast isn't in a solid monopolistic position here, they do have a low-end retention tier called, "Economy". DSL speed for near DSL price. I am reasonably sure they'd rather not have their users on that tier, but with DSL providers offering decent plans, plus a couple of very small FTTP providers, it gives them a chance to keep customers.
--
Norman

cork1958
Cork
Premium

1 edit
Comcast also has that "economy" tier here. Comcast is just outside the village limits of where I live (3 houses down)

As much as I don't like Comcast crap, I'm glad to have Charter here in the village. I've said it before though that I've NEVER had an issue with Charter's internet or tv even, except for the brain dead way they seem to want to run the business!

Glad to hear that you actually stopped and did the math on the yearly costs of the "little" difference in price between the ultra and the other tier. Makes it sound a little different that way, doesn't it?!

said by mbreslin:

Price increases always suck.

That said I generally get 100/5 even during peak hours so I'm reasonably happy with charter the last couple years. As for the overall price, in 1993 when dsl was just rolling out in our area (and no cable internet at all yet) I begged for someone to come along and take my money and give me decent speeds in return.

Unless charter goes belly up and I have to move to slower u-verse I'm never going backward in speed, price be damned.

And before someone says it's "asinine" or "sad", trust me, I'm not sad.

Nor is Charter sad! Keep handing them that money!!

said by Dogg:

said by KoRnGtL15:

I wouldn't trust Charter on that one in a million years even it was put down in writing!
--
The Firefox alternative.

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut
reply to cork1958
said by cork1958:

Also kind of sad that you're that addicted to that speed that you think you can't survive on the 30/4 plan, which as you're hoping the annual speed increase will effect that plan also, if it comes.

One thing to keep in mind tho is with that decrease in speed come a decrease in your cap by half. Depending on how much streaming a household does, that can be an issue.

I'm finishing my last month on the 100mbps plan and I am monitoring my usage this month to see what my household does. It's gonna be close this month, as to whether I'm gonna stay under the 250gb cap that Charter has on the 30 mbps plan(and it's a short month too). Our streaming has exploded recently as a form of lowering our costs. We have reduced our Directv plan and are using Netflix/Amazon quite a bit now. I also get the NHL Gamecenter plan and have been streaming hockey like mad these days. I'm not sure how rigid Charter is with their caps, but based on the new management, I can see them be real sticklers with that as well, as icing on proverbial cake.

That is why I'm leaning towards going over to UVerse. Currently, they don't really bother enforcing their supposed caps and I would only drop from 30mbps to 24mbps. Plus, they have some nice new pricing/offerings in my area for internet/phone(I have Directv for TV) too.

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by Chuck_IV:

said by cork1958:

One thing to keep in mind tho is with that decrease in speed come a decrease in your cap by half. Depending on how much streaming a household does, that can be an issue.

I'm finishing my last month on the 100mbps plan and I am monitoring my usage this month to see what my household does. It's gonna be close this month, as to whether I'm gonna stay under the 250gb cap that Charter has on the 30 mbps plan(and it's a short month too). Our streaming has exploded recently as a form of lowering our costs. We have reduced our Directv plan and are using Netflix/Amazon quite a bit now. I also get the NHL Gamecenter plan and have been streaming hockey like mad these days. I'm not sure how rigid Charter is with their caps, but based on the new management, I can see them be real sticklers with that as well, as icing on proverbial cake.

That is why I'm leaning towards going over to UVerse. Currently, they don't really bother enforcing their supposed caps and I would only drop from 30mbps to 24mbps. Plus, they have some nice new pricing/offerings in my area for internet/phone(I have Directv for TV) too.

look into charter bussnuss it sounds perfect for you no caps and 30 meg when combined with phone its 55 usd for internet phone also comes with battery backup

plus you get lower ping then you would on uverse

of course theres one drawback the activation fee for install

Chuck_IV

Connecticut
said by zed260:

look into charter business it sounds perfect for you no caps and 30 meg when combined with phone its 55 usd for internet phone also comes with battery backup

I was looking at that. From what I can see is it's exactly the same cost(minus the install fee) for their 30/4 business+phone as what residential 30 mbps+phone is... or am I missing something? The big difference is no cap. Unless I am missing something, essentially you are paying a fee to get no cap.

What is the install fee?

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by Chuck_IV:

said by zed260:

look into charter business it sounds perfect for you no caps and 30 meg when combined with phone its 55 usd for internet phone also comes with battery backup

I was looking at that. From what I can see is it's exactly the same cost(minus the install fee) for their 30/4 business+phone as what residential 30 mbps is... or am I missing something? The big difference is no cap. Unless I am missing something, essentially you are paying a fee to get no cap.

What is the install fee?

well you do lose a few things depending on what you keep with phone

i think its 100 dollar install fee if what there website on charterbussnuss site says is true "50 for phone 50 for internet"

»www.charterbusiness.com/online-o···les.aspx

of course the question is what do you want with your phone service

Chuck_IV

Connecticut
said by zed260:

i think its 100 dollar install fee if what there website on charterbussnuss site says is true "50 for phone 50 for internet"

Hmm, the only glaring thing I see missing is the voicemail, which we don't use anyway. Other than that it looks pretty much the same.
Expand your moderator at work

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Chuck_IV

Re: 37% Ultra 100 Price increase??

said by Chuck_IV:

said by zed260:

Hmm, the only glaring thing I see missing is the voicemail, which we don't use anyway. Other than that it looks pretty much the same.

advanced feature package if you take it comes with voicemail

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
said by zed260:

said by Chuck_IV:

said by zed260:

advanced feature package if you take it comes with voicemail

Advanced feature package dose not come with Voicemail, The Complete package comes with Voicemail.

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by Bamafan2277:

Advanced feature package dose not come with Voicemail, The Complete package comes with Voicemail.

oh your right sorry phone can be confusing on charter bussnuss

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5
reply to Janemba
As a result and to help offset the cost (and more) i will at least be cancelling my phone service with charter and going voip (leaning towards voip.ms). I may also lower my speed down as well, but we will see.