Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rizwan602

join:2004-03-20
Gilbert, AZ

Speed throttling

Hello,

I have a T-Mobile smartphone with 5 GB data package. I have tested the 5GB limit and it does throttle you down to near 2G speeds.

I was wondering if the throttling occurs inside the phone only (meaning the phone knows its over the data limit on the plan and slows you down) or does it occur inside the network?

Thank you,

Rizwan

brg

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

It occurs at the account level, at their end, based on what they see on their network.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to rizwan602

I think T-Mobile has an unlimited pre-paid for $70 per month, that has no cap. I'm not certain if there is any soft cap, but the plan indicates users going over 20 GB per month. They must expect a lot of use.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

rizwan602

join:2004-03-20
Gilbert, AZ
reply to brg

said by brg:

It occurs at the account level, at their end, based on what they see on their network.

How do you know this for sure?

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4

Where is the logic in it not being true? Otherwise you could just pop your sim in a second phone and start over.

Sandman
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO
reply to rizwan602

said by rizwan602:

said by brg:

I can say for sure that it's not in the phone. That means that the only other possibility is that the provider (T-Mobile, in this case) keeps track of it on their end.
--
Rule #62: Don't take yourself so damn seriously!

brg

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to rizwan602

said by rizwan602:

said by brg:

Because it makes sense?

Otherwise, it would have to be built into every data-capable phone, ever made, in any year, by any manufacturer, from any country, and would be susceptible to being defeated in myriad ways by any nature of rooting hacks, cracks, alternative ROMS...

Nuff said. I'll give you a dollar if you prove me wrong.