join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg to rizwan602

Premium Member

to rizwan602

Re: Speed throttling

said by rizwan602:

said by brg:

It occurs at the account level, at their end, based on what they see on their network.

How do you know this for sure?

Because it makes sense?

Otherwise, it would have to be built into every data-capable phone, ever made, in any year, by any manufacturer, from any country, and would be susceptible to being defeated in myriad ways by any nature of rooting hacks, cracks, alternative ROMS...

Nuff said. I'll give you a dollar if you prove me wrong.

Sandman37
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO

Sandman37 to rizwan602

Premium Member

to rizwan602
said by rizwan602:

said by brg:

It occurs at the account level, at their end, based on what they see on their network.

I can say for sure that it's not in the phone. That means that the only other possibility is that the provider (T-Mobile, in this case) keeps track of it on their end.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369 to rizwan602

Premium Member

to rizwan602
Where is the logic in it not being true? Otherwise you could just pop your sim in a second phone and start over.
rizwan602
join:2004-03-20
Gilbert, AZ

rizwan602 to brg

to brg
said by brg:

pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to rizwan602

Premium Member

to rizwan602
I think T-Mobile has an unlimited pre-paid for $70 per month, that has no cap. I'm not certain if there is any soft cap, but the plan indicates users going over 20 GB per month. They must expect a lot of use.

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg to rizwan602

Premium Member

to rizwan602
rizwan602
join:2004-03-20
Gilbert, AZ

rizwan602

Hello,

I have a T-Mobile smartphone with 5 GB data package. I have tested the 5GB limit and it does throttle you down to near 2G speeds.

I was wondering if the throttling occurs inside the phone only (meaning the phone knows its over the data limit on the plan and slows you down) or does it occur inside the network?

Thank you,

Rizwan