All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Kasey
@shawcable.net

Kasey

Anon

[AB] Why does my Shaw router have to be recycled everyday?

I have purchased a shaw router 6 mths ago and noticed in the last 2 months everyday sometimes twice a day I have no access to the internet unless I recycle the modem why is this happening?

I also noticed that the slowness with shaw started when the CRTC put in the rules about paying extra for bandwidth is shaw slowing the connection on purpose not that you would tell me the truth just thought I would try?

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Those rules were allowed a year or two ago, but it wasn't a CRTC ruling, they were allways there.

When your internet stops, do the lights on your modem changed? Still 4 solid green lights? Or when the internet stops, have they changed at all?

Which modem do you have? Cisco? SMC? Or Motorola?
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to Kasey

to Kasey
I assure you that Shaw has no conspiracy running where they slow your connection down
tablo
join:2011-06-30
Edmonton, AB

tablo to Kasey

to Kasey
Might be just the router part of your modem being crappy.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to Kasey

to Kasey
It's better to recycle your modem, than to throw it in the trash :-P

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds

Premium Member

I thought about that, but I didn't want to pick on someone already upset with their internet service

-Posted from my phone.

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8 to Kasey

to Kasey
*edit

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to Kasey

Premium Member

to Kasey
Heck, I've got a years old Motorola Surfboard which has been running, without a single problem, Hi Speed 25 (?). That's why I'm afraid to upgrade to Broadband 50. Why not purchase your own router? Save you a lot of trouble.
dazman09
join:2010-10-28

dazman09 to Kasey

to Kasey
I've had my modem go offline about once a week for the last 3 weeks. Typically around midnight. Other lights still on, 'Online' light flashes orange though.

I have to unplug it, then plug it back in to get it to reconnect. Still on Extreme-I 25 so still running the old 5120, »www.amazon.com/Motorola- ··· 009K9FZW

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Kasey

to Kasey
Any 5102 won't work, it needs to have the Shaw firmware on it to work.
molfert
join:2002-02-19
Calgary, AB

molfert to Kasey

to Kasey
The SB5120 is about 7 years old. My guess the modem is failing and needs to be replaced.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to rustydusty

Premium Member

to rustydusty
A DOCSIS modem will download the firmware when it tries to connect, it is as simple as Shaw won't activate hardware not bought from them.