StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

[Anveo] CNAM -- CallerID Name lookup

Click for full size
Looking at the CallerID Name lookup settings for phone line, note the "This option only takes effect when SIP URI Call Handler is used. " I am wondering if means that the charge gets made if your call flow hits a SIP box in the call flow. So there would be no 0.9 cent charge if the number never gets to a SIP box in the flow control. Any comments?

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS, you FOUND it !

(AFAIK, this function and its associated cost is not mentioned ANYWHERE in the public part of the Anveo site - INEXCUSABLE !)

Unfortunately, I do not know for sure the answer to your question.

However, that's mostly because I'm happy to use the feature and pay the .9 cents per call on all of my otherwise free incoming calls to my Anveo number.

However, I CAN confirm that it charges me this for calls from folks with ordinary phone lines (coming thru as PSTN).

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Cyberspace
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to StillLearn
said by StillLearn:

Looking at the CallerID Name lookup settings for phone line, note the "This option only takes effect when SIP URI Call Handler is used. " I am wondering if means that the charge gets made if your call flow hits a SIP box in the call flow.

The answer is no.

There are two different things under this tab.

• CallerID Name lookup

• CallerID format for SIP URI forwarding

There is no connection between the two features other than both are about CallerID.
--
My VoIP News

JJ_GTA
Premium
join:2009-04-01
Ontario
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
CallerID fee is charged for the DID number when it is used. The SIP note is for another feature. You will be charged the fee for all incoming calls to that DID. If you have the number in your contact list then it will not charge you and it will display the info in the contact list.

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
Thanks Arne and JJ... useful info.If I get a call from a number in the Blacklist, do I get charged for that? I guess no.

If I the call sequences through a PRESS KEY call control to a HANGUP control, do I get charged for that? I guess yes.

Davesnothere, I knew to look for the checkbox based on having previously seen a post by you. Even then I did not find it immediately when I went to look.

JJ_GTA
Premium
Ontario
Correct, Blacklist will not be a CallerID charge because they are in your contact list.

Any call not in your contact list will have a charge.

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit
Thanks.

It appears that a BLACKLIST entry is an entry in the Contacts list with Type= BLACKLIST. So I could even have a name associated with that entry. This could be useful when I click »www.anveo.com/admin.asp and select the Calls Received tab.

I figured out I can view and to export just my BLACKLIST contacts to a CSV file. I go to »www.anveo.com/contacts.asp contacts. Then I use the Search Filter to select Group as BLACKLIST. It then only shows the entries in BLACKLIST, and "Export to Excel" will make a CSV that only has BLACKLIST entries. In fact, I can just sort by the Type field to view my BLACKLIST entries at the top. I have 2 so far. I put them there by clicking the little icon made for that purpose in the Calls Received tab.

When I did my CSV import, it asked me if I was doing GENERAL or BLACKLIST. Maybe it would just ignore the ones that I did not select. However I see there is a Type identifier as a choice in the columns identifier drop-down list. I should be able to do a little experiment to find the behavior, but I now know that I can handle this when I might want to.

followup:

I read there are companies that make money on each CNAM lookup to one of their junk call numbers. I wish the BLACKLIST could include ranges of numbers such as those described here:
»telemarketerspam.wordpress.com/c···ber-lis/ I would hate for my CNAM pennies to contribute to these scum.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits
reply to StillLearn
said by StillLearn:

Thanks Arne and JJ... useful info.If I get a call from a number in the Blacklist, do I get charged for that? I guess no.

If I the call sequences through a PRESS KEY call control to a HANGUP control, do I get charged for that? I guess yes.

Davesnothere, I knew to look for the checkbox based on having previously seen a post by you. Even then I did not find it immediately when I went to look.

AFAIK, generally yes that CNAM will be charged on the PRESS KEY (the incoming call itself may be free, depending on your plan), as you HAVE to enable the line to be picked up in order for PRESS KEY to work at all.

However, even THEN, there would be no CNAM charge if the caller is in your Contacts List (according to JJ's post below), and apparently the Blacklist is part of the C L, so it will qualify too, at least on the 2nd and further times that a telemarketer (for example) calls from a particular number, assuming that you Blacklisted them promptly after the first time that they called.

And the info which you learned from me earlier, I most likely gathered from Arne - having HIM around here pretty much makes up for whatever info is missing and/or confusing in the public part of the Anveo site, as well as his advice about their portal, such as regarding 'Call Flows'.

So JJ, you are saying that the CONTACT LIST is boss over the CNAM lookups then, and that it would save me a few pennies to setup and maintain one, even if I do not use it for a Whitelist/Blacklist or other call routing ? - ANSWERED NOW, SEE ABOVE paragraphs.

[I was originally unsure whether or not a lookup is performed (and a charge levied) for numbers in your Contact List (Address Book), even when you have CNAM lookups enabled.]

BTW, some of us are aware that Canada just stopped distributing shiny new pennies this month.

EDITED to take into account JJ's reply to me, and to improve my grammar/spelling.

JJ_GTA
Premium
Ontario
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
Correct, add repeating callers to your contact list. You should only be paying for CallerID lookups for unusual callers.

It is easy to add also. Look at your inbox of incoming calls and click the blue save icon beside each entry you like, and click the black save icon beside each entry you don't like.

My kids love updating the contact list and they love blacklisting the grandparents so they get the out of service message. Some things I have to keep an eye on