spc
Search similar:

uniqs
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon

Air Canada to Appeal decision about Aveos workers

quote:
MONTREAL -- Air Canada is contravening federal law by not maintaining heavy-maintenance operations in Canada, the Quebec Superior Court ruled Monday.
In a 39-page ruling, Justice Martin Castonguay said the airline has an obligation under the Air Canada Public Participation Act to maintain such operations in Montreal and Winnipeg, along with Mississauga, Ont., where smaller overhaul work was completed by Aveos Fleet Performance until it closed last year.
Quebec's former Liberal government launched a lawsuit against the airline last April following the closure of Aveos, whose bankruptcy resulted in 2,600 employees losing their jobs, including 1,800 in Montreal.

Read more: »www.ctvnews.ca/business/ ··· K0DQiz4A

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

I have family out west who got stabbed in the back by Air Canada in this. Worked for Canadian, then Air Canada, then Aveos after they got spun off, and just a few years short of retirement, Air Canada effectively lays everybody off. Now he's got to work until he's 65 to get access to his pension... That's an extra 5 years, I think.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

You could argue that Air Canada got screwed when it was forced to absorb Canadian....

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to LastDon

Premium Member

to LastDon
So do they expect AC to rehire, retool, reequip and re-lease shop space so they can loose money faster again?

I don't like AC but they are also bound by certain rules that no other airline has to deal with, it puts them at a disadvantage.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

So do they expect AC to rehire, retool, reequip and re-lease shop space so they can loose money faster again?

I don't like AC but they are also bound by certain rules that no other airline has to deal with, it puts them at a disadvantage.

They (the shareholders - via their proxies ie. management) made a commitment in return for financial concessions. Time to wipe out the shareholders....again.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

When you have a virtual monopoly, I don't see a problem with being restricted.

Rogers et al should be so restricted