spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

twistedpair

join:2013-02-03

ZyXEL NBG-416N firmware v5.00 & v6.00 unstable on PPPoE -fix

After upgrading to v6.00 & v7.00 I had constant disconnects and high latency on a PPPoE line.

These new firmwares proved to be highly unstable so I reverted to v5.00 (rock solid with 40Mhz WLAN off).

After upgrading to v6.00 / v7.00, you can't downgrade without doing a special firmware flash procedure.

Details are here: »Zyxel NBG-416N firmware recovery

My tips for this flashing procedure:

To use tftp cmd line in win 7, I had to install it from the Windows features in control panel.

I then let it through windows firewall.

Stupidly; I tried several times without result before realising I was pushing on the wireless pin button and not reset !

Now back to V5.00 and all is good.

The needed recovery files are in the link given. Once you downgrade it's possible to upgrade back to v4 or 5 .

JPedroT

join:2005-02-18
kudos:1
Not related, but you should not use 40Mhz WLAN unless your on 5GHz.
Only exception is if your alone in the 2.4GHz band
--
"Perl is executable line noise, Python is executable pseudo-code."

twistedpair

join:2013-02-03
ARE you saying that 40Mhz is usually used on 5GHz but it can be used with 2.4 to boost the range on N wireless... at the detriment of other 2.4 networks ?

Sorry but I',m not clear on this at all !

JPedroT

join:2005-02-18
kudos:1

1 edit
40Mhz is used to increase the speed.

Problem is that 2.4Ghz is very polluted ie plenty of devices.
And with 40Mhz you are asking to double the bandwidth, which you usually do not have available in the 2.4GHhz area.

2.4Ghz got 3 none overlapping channels and you are basically asking to use 2 of those 3.

5Ghz got lots more channels, I do not remember the exact number, but there 40Mhz works better.

EDIT : 23 Channels in 5Ghz

--
"Perl is executable line noise, Python is executable pseudo-code."