dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues

Re: First nations group pulls out of pipeline hearings

said by elwoodblues:

It's not so much they're not interested,the environmental hoops they have to jump through are huge.

understandable...and there should be solid reasonable policies in place to protect the environment to minimize the impact should something happen.

shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to zod5000

said by zod5000:

lol. I think the opposite. Having it go through BC they risk damaging some pretty sensitive rainforest ecosystems as well as coastal ecosystems.

This is always the same argument BC'ers have to say. Nothing new here.

It's not like BC isn't heavy into mining, petroleum, fracking, and have literally lakes of waste that are diked up and crumbling and that can go at any time with a minor earthquake and devastate entire area's at any time, *as is*.

It's nice to pretend BC has none of the above. eh?

Sad reality is that all this and more is already there. Now be good Canadians and take Alberta's oil instead of shouting "Not In My Back Yard".

So before any more BC'ers try to say it could do this or that, it's best to know about your own environmental issues and the reality you have now which is a greater danger at this very moment than this plan on paper.

*shrug*

Besides, who are these people to say BC's marine ecosystem, or some forest that can recover, is more worth saving than that of the St. Laurence or the water-table throughout Ontario and Quebec?

NIMBY.

BC=NIMBY tree huggers ignoring their own environmental catastrophes waiting to happen at any time that pale in comparison to this.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why do people care to oppose such a thing in the first place? Accidents are extremely rare.

Accidents are rare. But these so-called environmental groups have no issues with corporate terrorism so they could vandalize a pipeline causing catastrophic damage. All it take is one douche-bag to 'prove a point' about the dangers of pipelines by bombing one.

Either way, though, you can't win.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

said by J E F F:

All it take is one douche-bag to 'prove a point' about the dangers of pipelines by bombing one.

one only needs to look at the Walkerton tragedy as proof of the dangers of someone looking to "prove a point".
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by J E F F:

All it take is one douche-bag to 'prove a point' about the dangers of pipelines by bombing one.

one only needs to look at the Walkerton tragedy as proof of the dangers of someone looking to "prove a point".

the thing those two brothers proved that you could run a town (poorly, but get away with it) with a BAC of 0.24!
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to corster

said by corster:

said by dirtyjeffer:

all i'm saying is the doomsday scenarios don't help...i'd rather the oil came to Sarnia and a refinery was set up there to process it...perhaps Ontario Oil (an oil version of the LCBO) could be set up, with profits going to the province.

*bangs head against wall*

I like the idea of a West -> East pipeline. I think it's long overdue. But i'm fairly convinced that I read that post wrong because I can't believe anybody would advocate giving the LCBO control of Gasoline....

Gasoline & liquor together ..... what could go wrong?
They don't call it 'firewater' for nothing.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

....at least our province could get billions in profits to help pay down the debt...everyone knows we need it, especially from the way our government has messed things up the last 8 years.

You mean since Harris was elected.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by corster:

Except if the LCBO ran it, we would be paying $2.60/litre for gas in the name of Social Responsibility

well, they wouldn't have a monopoly, they would have to compete on the open market with other refineries...the pricing would be the same as what we have, we would simply get some of the profits...the oil companies don't seem interested in extra refining capacity, we should do it ourselves.

Part of the problem is that gasoline demand is decreasing as vehicles get better mileage, hence that's PART of the calculus in closing refineries. The other part is to create scarcity of supply so prices go up in the face of declining demand.

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a Tesla S - I rather like the idea of going nearly 500Km on $6 of electricity vs. nearly $90 in my 2nd choice - a new BMW 5-series.