Search similar:

uniqs

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar

[Slightly OT] TOR for Privacy??

Wondering if anyone here is using TOR for privacy will surfing. Opinions?
Calmuser
Calmuser
join:2011-10-27
Canada

Calmuser

I use it once in awhile.

It does slow down surfing speed considerably though.
UK_Dave
join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON

UK_Dave to AkFubar

to AkFubar
Hi Ak.

In a "previous life" shall we say, I used it a lot. However, the generally accepted "most secure" method is to use it as part of:

»tails.boum.org/

It's a secure "use 'n lose" approach that fits around Tor - slow but very anonymous.

Tor on it's own, I'm afraid I can't comment.

Dave

Anaon1821578
@ripnet.com

Anaon1821578 to AkFubar

Anon

to AkFubar
Source a good offshore VPN service and you'll never have a use for TOR. It'll also be astronomically faster.
ZombieBanner
join:2012-11-14
Chatham, ON

ZombieBanner to AkFubar

to AkFubar
TOR is also unreliable as an anonymous source now.
Nodes have been setting up to specifically capture data.
MrMazda86 (banned)
join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned) to AkFubar

to AkFubar
Tor in and of itself can present a potential for a security hazard. This mainly has to do with the fact that the end node does not establish an encrypted or otherwise secure link with its end destination. While the other 4 hops are "dumb" to the information that's being submitted and where it's going, this creates a security potential for the end node to begin sniffing for information.

My recommendation here is not to use any personal information when making use of Tor if you so choose to use it. This caution comes from the hands of someone who has had much experience with this type of thing. It happens more often than you might expect.

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny to AkFubar

Anon

to AkFubar
no. use mullvad.net its far more secure. tor is heavily monitored.
Rastan
join:2007-04-25
Canada

Rastan to AkFubar

to AkFubar
Although TOR can be slow, it offers more anonymity than a VPN in my opinion because there is no trail when using TOR. On the other hand, you have to pay your VPN and unless you create a paypal account with a phoney name, the owner of the VPN will know who you are. They'll also know which IP address you're connecting from.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to AkFubar

to AkFubar
said by AkFubar:

just go on and use a transparent proxy for privacy see what happens if someone really wants to bother you...
have a nice day
funny0

funny0 to AkFubar

to AkFubar
said by AkFubar:

just go on and use a transparent proxy for privacy see what happens if someone really wants to bother you...
have a nice day