bburley
join:2010-04-30
Cold Lake, AB

bburley to UHF

to UHF

Re: Short PtP link

I would recommend using this method.

»wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/T ··· ing_MPLS

I used it on a pair of SXT's and it works well.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

What is your reasoning for using MPLS vs just a simple WDS bridge? Seems like a lot of extra complication for no additional gain that I'm aware of.
bburley
Cold Lake, AB

bburley

MPLS was supposed to make the link a bit faster but I didn't actually do any comparisons on that claim. What interested me is the "transparent" part. I have had funny issues in the past with MAC addresses being translated to the MAC address of the bridge device. I have read that this is normal behavior for an RFC compliant bridge but I didn't want that 'feature'. I want to see all of the original MAC addresses left the way they are.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

said by bburley:

I have had funny issues in the past with MAC addresses being translated to the MAC address of the bridge device. I have read that this is normal behavior for an RFC compliant bridge but I didn't want that 'feature'.

WDS fixes that.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin to bburley

to bburley
said by bburley:

MPLS was supposed to make the link a bit faster

I believe that was true when 802.11n first came out... MT had a problem with poor performance on WDS links, but they fixed that quite awhile ago. I looked at the Wiki article, and it appears nobody has updated it since then. When I set up my first few 11n links, I did have to use MPLS, but as soon as regular WDS bridging performance was fixed, I dumped the MPLS stuff since it was much more complicated than the simple WDS setup. And it does pass mac addresses properly.
bburley
Cold Lake, AB

bburley

Thanks for the info. I know someone who is just setting up some WDS links and we'll have to compare notes. I will likely try it out myself... I will add it to my long list