share rss forum feed

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA
reply to ropeguru

Re: [Business] Way to deceive to us Comcast

I'd trade a slightly higher sustained upload or download speed for powerboost in a heartbeat.

I realize that retiring powerboost is by no means a guarantee of a higher sustained rate, the concern I have is for areas where there is existing evening/prime-time congestion. My understanding is that powerboost is the first thing to get snuffed when you are on a congested link.

it's no big deal to me if my link is congested and what I see is my regular sustained rate, minus power boost. It becomes a problem when the congestion drops my downstream sustained rate (for example: 25Mbps) to something much lower (15-18Mbps or lower)... Upstream rates usually aren't affected.

I guess what I'm getting at is if Comcast is going to do away with Powerboost, maybe even offer higher rate plans in exchange, what they really need to make sure of is that their existing infrastructure can handle the loss of powerboost. I've always looked at powerboost as more of a congestion safe-guard than a customer speed-boost.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
My issue on the business side is that when I originally signed a CONTRACT, the plan on my bill stated "w/ powerboost" and I was getting 60+/10 PB speeds. They then did this "wonderful" speed upgrade from 22/5 to 27/7 and now my PB speeds are 30/7. So they cut my download PB in half AND removed ALL upload PB.

Meanwhile, they have changed the plan listed on my bill at least three times since last June when I signed up. To me that right there is a breach of contract but unfortunately it would cost more to fight it than it is worth.

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
Sonora, CA
I agree that it sucks that you're being jerked around and that things seem in dispute of the contract.

However, I would trade 27/7 sustained over 22/5 sustained any day. even if the previous boosted rate was 60+/10.

It's all about the sustained rate... when you're yanking in big files, the sustained rate is all that matters..

edit: grammar

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
I ALWAYS got the 60+ down with powerboost and sustained of 22. So for me, I had the best of both as I had the 20 second or so really high rate then settled to 22Mbps. Something this cut my download time in half.

So when getting the sustained you are supposed to, even when yanking big files it is a benefit.

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
Sonora, CA
over time, 27/7Mbps sustained (30/7Mbps boosted) is quicker than 22/5Mbps sustained (60/10Mbps boosted).

losing the really high initial rate stinks, for sure, but trust me, if comcast offered you a choice between 22/5 (60/10) and 27/7 (30/7), you'd want to go with the 27/7.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to ropeguru
I was getting 110Mbps down on powerboost for almost the first year of my business class connection and i'm on starter.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

I was getting 60+/10 PB speeds.

Regular shaping kicks in after 100MB, so at 60mbps that's 13 seconds before you're back to reality.

Aside from the speedtest results not looking quite as sexy anymore, what's the real downside?

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
It may vary by area, but the whole time PB has been here, it's been 30 MB worth on downstream, 10 MB on upstream. This has been with both residential and business. With my PB speeds being so high on business (70-93 Mbps peak), downstream usually runs out in 3-5 seconds.
--
KI6RIT