All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

"Speed" war?

You mean "numbers" war. Not once have I ever needed more than 5mbps. Yeah, there are things I do that can take advantage of a little bit more speed, but still no more than 10mbps. (How fast do I really need to fill up a buffer?) Yeah, there are things that others do that can take advantage of even higher speeds (or there are simply more people at the customer location). But at this point it's just numbers on a chart. Oh, yes, please... let me pay more for that, thank you so much. Frankly, if I could get back my old 3000/768 Verizon DSL for $30/month... I'd seriously consider it. At 5/1 for $30 I'd be there in a heartbeat.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

No way I could go back to a 5Mbps connection. I require at least 10Mbps, preferably 15.
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

OK, I'm curious... why?

(The only thing I do that requires any speed above 3mbps is streaming video. HD video would use a little more, but not by much. But as I said, that's just me. I used to do backups and other stuff online that used all of my 30/5 connection, but I don't anymore.)
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned)

said by NoHereNoMo:

OK, I'm curious... why?

(The only thing I do that requires any speed above 3mbps is streaming video. HD video would use a little more, but not by much. But as I said, that's just me. I used to do backups and other stuff online that used all of my 30/5 connection, but I don't anymore.)

Streaming and being able to do that and downloads at the same time. Regularly we use 2 Netflix sessions and each one consumes greater than 5Mbps. Then try downloading anything.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

No way I could go back to a 5Mbps connection. I require at least 10Mbps, preferably 15.

The same here. I had a 5Mb/s connection back in 1998. There is no way I could go back to those speeds from fifteen years ago. I'm currently at 150Mb/s download speeds. I could go back to 75Mb/s or even 50Mb/s speeds, but that would be about as low as I would want to go.

Jerm
join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
·Ziply Fiber

Jerm to 34764170

to 34764170
said by NoHereNoMo:

Not once have I ever needed more than 5mbps.

Single male with non-techy parents or roomies often forget this may be an okay guideline, if its PER PERSON.

5mbps for Wife's Netflix. 5mbps for kids Netflix. 5mbps for me.

Oh crap now 15mbps barely covers us...
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

As I said, it's "just me"--my house, my connection.
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo to aaronwt

to aaronwt
But back in 1998 did you have all that much to use it for?

I'm curious about what someone actually needs the speed for--besides cutting down the occasional wait for long/large downloads. As I said, there are customer locations where a whole bunch of people use the connection, often at the same time. That's the usual stuff. Everything else is atypical. Excessive speed for an excessive cost doesn't appeal to the typical customer. Getting only the speed one needs at a price one prefers is way more typical of what the average customer wants (when one can find it).
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by NoHereNoMo:

I'm curious about what someone actually needs the speed for--besides cutting down the occasional wait for long/large downloads. As I said, there are customer locations where a whole bunch of people use the connection, often at the same time. That's the usual stuff. Everything else is atypical. Excessive speed for an excessive cost doesn't appeal to the typical customer. Getting only the speed one needs at a price one prefers is way more typical of what the average customer wants (when one can find it).

Except for most people it is not excessive. Even up to around 20Mbps is far from excessive. The year is 2013 not 2001. None of this would be an issue if North Americans were not being ripped off for these services.
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

I was thinking of the mentioned speeds above 50mbps; and I mean "excessive" only in the sense that they exceed the need of most--no negative connotation implied. Even though this is the not so wild and wonderful Internet of 2013, it's merely a case of us finally getting speeds that we can actually use to do most all of the things that we really wanted to a dozen years ago (or even before that if we'd thought or known about it). I'm opposed to the concept of caps--usage and speed--anyway, so except for Google Fiber (and any other non-capped service) I'd say that every ISP is ripping off its customers.