Want to go back to Iowa
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Good

I will like having a stable speed as the power boost messes up my computers. It still takes the same amount of time to download a Mac OS/app/iOS update either with or without the Power Boost.

I'd rather not have those teaser speeds especially with blast 50/10. Now they should sunset all DOCSIS 2.0 modems.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

Re: Good

said by IowaCowboy:

I will like having a stable speed as the power boost messes up my computers.

Complete nonsense.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
said by IowaCowboy:

I will like having a stable speed as the power boost messes up my computers.

Okay, I'll bite: How does Powerboost "mess up your computers?"

Jim
openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
japan
kudos:2

It makes establishing QoS profiles more challenging, but beyond that....it's a win for anyone using it.

Jerm

join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA

QOS once it hits your router downstream is mostly worthless anyway - it's already traversed your cable modem (the bottleneck).

Thats why Netgear's traffic shaping is only on the upload.

With PowerBoost you generally do not see much latency increase anyway on downstream as you never really have a "hard" cap.
openbox9
Premium
japan

Hence why you set your QoS profile to less than your typical connection throughput. That way you control the QoS, not your upstream. It's somewhat inefficient, but it works when you're saturating your connection and want to make a VoIP call or something else more sensitive than bulk traffic.

Etobicoke, ON

QoS is used for upstream traffic, not downstream. Powerboost is for downstream, not upstream. Your post makes no sense.
openbox9
Premium
japan

QoS can be used for both.

Etobicoke, ON

said by openbox9:

QoS can be used for both.

QoS can be guaranteed on the upstream. It cannot be on the downstream.

Jerm

join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA

I agree you are both technically correct in your own sense. In my experience downstream traffic shaping with m0n0wall and pFsense I really had to cut my "max" down to 75% or less than my actual downstream was before I started to notice anything.

Since cable modems generally have powerboost and latency increase is minimal when fully loaded downstream in the end it makes little sense to have downstream shaping.

Perhaps DSL is different (or cable now with hard caps) but I downstream shaping is definitely iffy...
openbox9
Premium
japan
Fine. The upstream on the LAN side of my router does QoS for my downstream connection to the Internet just fine.