kudos:1

1 edit
reply to yabos

Re: Diesel vs. gasoline for new car purchase

said by yabos:

said by FaxCap:

I understand the newly redesigned Mazda6 will be available with a
diesel in about 6 months.

The new Mazda diesels look very interesting. They are taking their time bringing them here though. I had heard the CX-7 was supposed to be the first one to get it but now I've heard that they might get rid of that model and just have the CX-5 and CX-9, so who knows...

A diesel Mazda 6 might be enticing though.

words to describe mazda 6 diesel, fat kid on triple layer cake.(would say wedding cake if it was the wagon model)

they are having to jump through hoops to get EPA certified in the US for the twinturbo diesel.

CX-5 was supposed to be the first N.A. vehicle in their lineup to have it but they couldn't get it certified in time, but there is talk of them adding it to the 2014 option list.

@gimli, Gearing can fix any "feeling" of no top end power. also, design of the engine has a considerable amount to do with it as well, a truck diesel is configured slightly different then a car diesel.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Styvas

From a VW perspective....I feel like the automatic is a lot LESS available in a diesel vs their gas offerings....at least from a used market perspective...

I could be wrong on that, but if you can't drive a stick then it might be tough to come by to actually find one...

Either they didn't make many, or the auto VW diesels that are out there are just being held onto like crazy.

I can vouch for the cold weather...since there's no "spark", you really need to have it plugged in cold weather or you're going to run into problems....not problems you want to run into, even on a newer car.

The downside I'd say is price/convenience as well as others have said, yes you might get more fuel economy...but in Canada the price for diesel seems to hover around the gas price now...ironically in the US gas price is CHEAPER than Diesel price for some odd reason...

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

I have no problem driving stick, although my wife can't. I suppose she could learn. Convincing her it is worth it would be an uphill battle, however.

bryanviper

join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to IamGimli

The old Diesel cars did have trouble in the cold weather however these newer cars from 2003+ or something in that range have no issues starting in very cold weather. In fact the new diesels I have read start easier then a gas engine so i heard anyways.

Correct new diesel cars generally make less noise then gas engines now.

No bad exhaust smells anymore on the new versions.

Diesel prices in the summer are lower then gas but slightly higher in the winter because they use the fuel to heat homes so more demand and less supply drive prices up.

When you have high amounts of torque you dont really notice the lack of HP on the top end. But if you think about how many people rev the crap out of their cars anyways? your usually in the low to mid rpm range anyways which is perfect for most people.

said by IamGimli:

Some of the downsides of diesel engines in Canada:

Lower tolerance for extreme cold weather. At -25 and below a cold diesel engine will be extremely hard to get running, unless you have an engine block heater plugged-in. Out in Alberta, when the temperature dips below -35 you'll see all the diesel trucks running in driveways through the night for that reason.

Noisier engines in general than gas engines. This isn't the case as much anymore since advancements in diesel engineering has reduced the engine noise, and gas engines are noisier than they used to be (especially on engines with direct fuel injection).

Exhaust gases smell. Bad. Especially when the engine gets older. Makes some people noxious.

Diesel prices, which used to be much lower that gasoline (almost half price) now pretty much keeps up or is slightly more expensive.

Diesel isn't available at all gas stations and when it is, it is often only one or two pumps, which may make refueling take much longer, especially if you have to wait for a specific car to get out of the way of the one pump.

Most diesel engines (even the turbo) lack top-end power. They generally have great torque but lower HP numbers than the same car with a gas engine. You might have to change the way you drive, or your expectations of performance.

Personally if more cars were available with a turbo diesel option I would certainly consider them but you do have to go in knowing what to expect.

--
»www.MaximumRepair.ca
Computer Repair/Upgrades In Toronto.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to Styvas

There's also the added bonus of collecting old restaurant oil and making your own fuel.
--
~ Project Hope ~

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

lol! Can regular diesel engines run on bio-diesel? I suppose that makes sense but I'd never thought about it.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

said by Styvas:

lol! Can regular diesel engines run on bio-diesel? I suppose that makes sense but I'd never thought about it.

old style diesel's yes (although, i'm not sure of the exact process).

modern "Clean Diesel" engines though, no...you can use some bio-diesel in a modern diesel engine, but no more than B5 (5% bio-diesel)...modern diesel engines are more complicated than older style ones, which is one reason why the older ones were actually a little better in terms of fuel economy, but it's the emissions...the high pressure fuel lines, special sensors and other emissions related components on the newer units than can be damaged using bio-diesel.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

booj

join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON
reply to Styvas

said by Styvas:

Some hobbyists convert their TDI's to run on veggie oil. Free gas if you are willing to filter restaurant waste!

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

just make sure it is an old TDi engine, not a newer one.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to booj

said by booj:

said by Styvas:

Some hobbyists convert their TDI's to run on veggie oil. Free gas if you are willing to filter restaurant waste!

I was thinking about that in connection with this comment:
said by IamGimli:

Exhaust gases smell. Bad. Especially when the engine gets older. Makes some people noxious.

One guy who converted his Mercedes diesel to run on veggie oil noted that one side effect -- not clear if he considered it a positive or a negative -- was that everywhere his car went smelled like french fries!
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
-- Wendell Berry

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Styvas

Everyone who's bought diesel swears by it, and not at it.

My friend would brag .. and brag... and brag...until I sucker punched him, about his "I did 1300 KM last week my car...what did you do? 700? Oh..your car can only do 550...hahahahahah" My response was "Yeah, well....***SUCKER PUNCH TO FACE***

Yeah, the "two fill-ups a week" to travel from Kitchener to Windsor 5 days a week did me in....
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Styvas

Interesting data , vehicle comparison equipped gas vs diesel power:
»www.caranddriver.com/features/ch···-feature

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to booj

said by booj:

said by Styvas:

This may be important to consider, fuel will be scarce after the zombie apocalypse
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.