spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs

Questions about MLB Extra Innings on FiOS

Having never purchased MLB EI through FiOS I'm wondering a few things, specifically what happens during the crossover between NHL and MLB seasons? Since NHL CI & MLB EI share the same channels, what takes precedence? Or does FiOS open up some overload channels for one or the other?

I realize it's not as extensive an offering as provided by MLB.TV (or DirecTV), but I do most of my baseball watching at home and it's more convenient to switch between games of my two favorite teams - Mets & Tigers - through FiOS then subscribing to MLB.TV, which won't let me view Mets games in my home market. Thanks in advance.

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

icemannyr1

FiOS has no extra channels for NHL CI or MLB IE. They share the existing channels during the overlap of seasons.

MLB.TV via the MLB app which gives you all the games in HD on a TV would be a better choice.
nfotiu
join:2009-01-25

nfotiu to bsangs

to bsangs
The overlap is pretty short. Once the playoffs start, only the games not on the nbc channels are on center ice. Which is one or two games a night at most during the first round, and none after that.

I think they still show pretty much every game in both sports, just not as much choice of home and away broadcasts.

I don't know about mlb.tv, but the framerate for the nhl version makes it too choppy for my enjoyment. I really wish FIOS would go ahead and add the rest of the HD channels for CI and EI. Seems pretty ridiculous for such an expensive package to still show so many sd only games in 2013.
bsangs
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to icemannyr1

to icemannyr1
said by icemannyr1:

FiOS has no extra channels for NHL CI or MLB IE. They share the existing channels during the overlap of seasons.

MLB.TV via the MLB app which gives you all the games in HD on a TV would be a better choice.

I disagree. Have had MLB.TV the last couple seasons and it doesn't fit the way I watch TV. If Mets games weren't blacked out on MLB.TV it'd be useable. Otherwise, it's a hassle. Aside from having to change inputs to switch between regular TV and the MLB.TV streams, I can't watch Mets games on the iPad, the iPhone, AppleTV, XBox or the computer when in the home area. (Using my Slingbox will circumvent that.) Might have to stomach the early season overlaps I guess.

Also, any idea when FiOS make it available for purchase? Directv is already offering EI packages, as is MLB.TV.
SouthRIWants
join:2008-09-15
Westerly, RI

SouthRIWants

I have heard on a few forums that through In Demand, Fios will now have 9 HD channels daily for this year's extra innings. I'm wondering where people are getting this information from?

Also, I have never ordered this package on Fios before, do they carry the mosaic or some sort of game mix channel?

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by SouthRIWants:

I have heard on a few forums that through In Demand, Fios will now have 9 HD channels daily for this year's extra innings. I'm wondering where people are getting this information from?

Where are they getting the information from? People already have the new channels, that's why.
jr461
join:2006-12-21
Montvale, NJ

jr461 to bsangs

to bsangs
said by bsangs:

said by icemannyr1:

I disagree. Have had MLB.TV the last couple seasons and it doesn't fit the way I watch TV. If Mets games weren't blacked out on MLB.TV it'd be useable. Otherwise, it's a hassle. Aside from having to change inputs to switch between regular TV and the MLB.TV streams, I can't watch Mets games on the iPad, the iPhone, AppleTV, XBox or the computer when in the home area. (Using my Slingbox will circumvent that.) Might have to stomach the early season overlaps I guess.

Also, any idea when FiOS make it available for purchase? Directv is already offering EI packages, as is MLB.TV.

I hear where you're coming from and it is a pain switching from the streaming device to TV between games if you're using MLB.TV.

That said, however, I prefer MLB.TV since I can watch the Mets on TV and any other game at the same time on the iPad (or other device), thereby avoiding the switching issue.

I had MLB EI but that was when there were only 4 HD channels. Typically the Mets and/or Yankees would occupy one or both of them, leaving little in the way of HD left. I remember also that the SD quality was absolutely horrid, actually unwatchable. Considering tihe cost of almost double MLB.TV, I never looked back.

Pick what works best for you, and if there are 9 HD channels that helps. For me, MLB.TV works out well.
ChrisUK
join:2008-08-28
Falls Church, VA

ChrisUK to bsangs

to bsangs

If Mets games weren't blacked out on MLB.TV it'd be useable.

I though the blackout policy was the same on EI. No?

I watch MLB.TV via a Roku. Cheaper and more flexible.

Chris

celticpride
@verizon.net

celticpride

Anon

Right now new customers can get MLB EI AND NFL SUNDAY TICKET for FREE when you sign a 2 year contract with directv.I hope they do this with the nba league pass and nfl ticket this fall ,and i'll switch back to directv UNLESS verizon does some drastic change to compete with directv like having all sports in HD and DUAL FEEDS ,and hopefully adding the HD regional sports channels like comcast sports new england so i can watch here in southern california.
bsangs
Montclair, NJ

bsangs

said by celticpride :

Right now new customers can get MLB EI AND NFL SUNDAY TICKET for FREE when you sign a 2 year contract with directv.I hope they do this with the nba league pass and nfl ticket this fall ,and i'll switch back to directv UNLESS verizon does some drastic change to compete with directv like having all sports in HD and DUAL FEEDS ,and hopefully adding the HD regional sports channels like comcast sports new england so i can watch here in southern california.

That's why I just went back to Directv this week. That offer was too good to pass up. (Plus a free five-tuner Genie and four client RVUs.) The Directv Extra Innings package has every game in HD and you can choose from home or away announcers. It also has the MLB Strike Zone channel and a game mix channel.

However, since I have a free DVR for life from FiOS - and I'm keeping the internet and DV service anyway - I'll keep it active as a backup. The lowest TV package with sports costs me only $5 more per month than the internet and DV combo alone.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to bsangs

to bsangs
BTW FIOS has a free preview from 4/1-4/7.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

I heard that VZ will only activate the SD channels for the Free Preview. I could be wrong .

To me if true, does not make sense. If the HD channels, esp the newly added ones are activated, then more people could tune in and upgrade their STBs if necessary.

If they only activate the SD ones, then no one that still has the 6xxx boxes will know to upgrade. If they have ignored, or never seen all the emails or on screen reference to do so yet.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

in the past Verizon has given HD versions that were available in HD as part of the free preview so why would that change now?
BullwinkleHD
join:2013-03-30
Germantown, MD

BullwinkleHD

I don't believe the what were then new (MPEG4?) HD channels were made available during the free preview last year
chitchatjf
join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA

chitchatjf to bsangs

to bsangs
This is not an April Fools joke
ALL 9 channels are up!
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

That is good news. Now this will allow more people to switch out their STBs, if they have not already.