uniqs
share rss forum feed

ShellMMG

join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Soda v. Pop

Soda Stream has been trumpeting the "banned ad" for several months, especially on their FB page. It's pretty clever.

Disclaimer: I have a Soda Stream (their product doesn't add phosphorous and I'm sick of lugging cans & bottles, especially with Michigan's $.10 deposit) and have a lot of fun with it.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
Soda is bad for you.

You're free to drink it of course but I stopped putting that poison in my body for a long time now.

ShellMMG

join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
I stopped drinking commercial soft drinks (mostly) last May. The phosphorous, according to my spinal fusion surgeon, causes bone loss and calcium malabsorption. From what I've read, phosphorous is used to preserve the shelf life of the fizz. SS also makes "natural" syrups and you can use juice concentrates. If you're an addict like I am, it's a big improvement.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to fifty nine
High Fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners are bad for you. As you get older you need more acid in your stomach, so soda is actually good for your stomach.

I get these naturally flavored no calorie ones from Wegmans, 0 calorie that are awesome.

The problem w/ Sodastream is that they use a Gillette model. Sell the machine and mark up C02 and syrup bigtime (10-20x normal prices). So it's useless until the prices come down IMHO.

The only reason Coke and Pepsi can't do this is because they are beholden to their bottlers and distribution channel. The actual cost to make the soda is in the pennies. If it were to cost $.25 for a 2L people would be REAL fat....

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut
reply to fifty nine
Umm, ok. Yet I'm sure you continue to put other poisons in your body. Just about everything we eat these days is "poison" in some way.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to elefante72
said by elefante72:

The only reason Coke and Pepsi can't do this is because they are beholden to their bottlers and distribution channel. The actual cost to make the soda is in the pennies. If it were to cost $.25 for a 2L people would be REAL fat....

You can buy Coke & Pepsi syrup for home soda making systems. A friend of mine has had one for years. It delivers carbonated soda to a spout on his sink just like it does in a bar.

»www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_ex_n_0?r···60080840
»www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_···60081129
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
reply to elefante72
said by elefante72:

High Fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners are bad for you. As you get older you need more acid in your stomach, so soda is actually good for your stomach.

I'm not even sure this comment needs a retort.

I'll just say gastic acids are not the same. You may as well suggest drinking battery acid.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
reply to ShellMMG
After reading about the product I was considering buying one. I saw the price of $80 and it's _very_ costly. But then I saw the cost of the CO2 chargers... $30 each! Refills were about half that but I'm worried that stores will simply stop doing refills (a complaint on the Target website was that this person's Target no longer does refills).

I'd guess it would take about 120 store bought bottles to break even on SodaStream. If you buy one bottle a week, that is about 2 years before you break even. I'm not really crunching the numbers but I'd say that is close. Anyone going to use this each and every week for 2 years?

At the price SodaStream charges, they should be able to afford a few Super Bowl ads.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to tcope
said by tcope:

said by elefante72:

I'm not even sure this comment needs a retort.

I'll just say gastic acids are not the same. You may as well suggest drinking battery acid.

Agree with not needing sugar-laden (whether HF Cornsyrup or sugar) or diet (processed synthetic sweeteners).

Phosphoric acid is not good for you (teeth, bones, muscle degradation). Your stomach produces hydrochloric not phosphoric. Besides, as you get older, you tend to have more reflux (esophagus issues) and need to reduce acidity (likely from soda, caffeine and tomato paste/sauces). There are other reasons but I am not qualified.
--
Splat

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
reply to Chuck_IV
said by Chuck_IV:

Umm, ok. Yet I'm sure you continue to put other poisons in your body. Just about everything we eat these days is "poison" in some way.

Nope I stopped putting a lot of the other stuff too. I can't stop putting everything but I can sure as hell try. The biggest thing is the high fructose corn syrup. It is making people obese and causing all sorts of problems. Only in America.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to tcope
Well the acid delivered in soda is carbonic acid which is mildly ionized and hence a KPh in the 6's. Phosphoric acid is added to most sodas (it's actually more acidic) as both for it's "acid" bite and as a bacteriostat preservative. It has been suggested that phosphoric acid consumption is a cause for osteoporosis, but really hasn't been proven. I would suggest looking up MK-7 more.

The main loss in acid as you age can cause atrophic gastritis which is a reduction in HCL in your stomach ecosystem.

Most people don't even know that the main cause of reflux/GERD etc is usually due to LOW stomach acid. The antacids/PPI, etc reduce the acid in the upper GI tract which causes discomfort.

As a matter of fact when this was originally sold, it was sold as a digestive, so here is a possible retort.

Also battery acid "sulfuric acid" is a diprotic acid, where HCL (in stomach) is a monoprotic acid. The way they react to H2O are very different (esp in your stomach).

Common treatments are cider vinegar, unbuffered ascorbic acid (C), or beet root (Betaine HCL), which are increasing in irritability and acid levels.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
said by elefante72:

Well the acid delivered in soda is carbonic acid which is mildly ionized and hence a KPh in the 6's. Phosphoric acid is added to most sodas (it's actually more acidic) as both for it's "acid" bite and as a bacteriostat preservative. It has been suggested that phosphoric acid consumption is a cause for osteoporosis, but really hasn't been proven. I would suggest looking up MK-7 more.

The main loss in acid as you age can cause atrophic gastritis which is a reduction in HCL in your stomach ecosystem.

Most people don't even know that the main cause of reflux/GERD etc is usually due to LOW stomach acid. The antacids/PPI, etc reduce the acid in the upper GI tract which causes discomfort.

As a matter of fact when this was originally sold, it was sold as a digestive, so here is a possible retort.

Also battery acid "sulfuric acid" is a diprotic acid, where HCL (in stomach) is a monoprotic acid. The way they react to H2O are very different (esp in your stomach).

Common treatments are cider vinegar, unbuffered ascorbic acid (C), or beet root (Betaine HCL), which are increasing in irritability and acid levels.

What we do with Wikipedia.

Eddy120876

join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY
reply to FFH5
Hey thanks for the link bud. I do like Soda competition.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by Chuck_IV:

Nope I stopped putting a lot of the other stuff too. I can't stop putting everything but I can sure as hell try. The biggest thing is the high fructose corn syrup. It is making people obese and causing all sorts of problems. Only in America.

no its not, its the people who down 12 cans a day of pepsi.
--
I'm better than you!

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to Eddy120876
said by Eddy120876:

Hey thanks for the link bud. I do like Soda competition.

The system my friend has is similar to this:
»www.amazon.com/3-Flavor-Fountain···I3G2520C

He didn't do it to save money; he just liked the ability to dispense sodas in his kitchen when entertaining people at his house.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Eddy120876

Bronx, NY
Hey I call that a thing of beauty . No more having to open the fridge and take time going "ummm pepsi or coke" instead just go "I'm having this one now"

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to ShellMMG
How does it compare to Coke and Pepsi?

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to elefante72
According to some study some where everything is pretty much bad for you.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
said by battleop:

According to some study some where everything is pretty much bad for you.

And then the next study show it's OK.
--
I don't care what DHS says, never bring scissors to a gunfight.

Squire James

@embarqhsd.net
reply to battleop
I remember an SNL skit from a long time ago (you know, back when they had people whose names were actually known) where their fake news show announced "The FDA has just released a study finding that everything previously thought to be good for you is actually bad for you, and vice versa!"

Jim Gurd
Premium
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI
reply to ShellMMG
said by ShellMMG:

Disclaimer: I have a Soda Stream (their product doesn't add phosphorous and I'm sick of lugging cans & bottles, especially with Michigan's $.10 deposit) and have a lot of fun with it.

I hate the bottle deposit too. How much does it cost to use and where do you get supplies? I might be interested in getting one.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to tcope
Just get the $40-$50 screw adapter and buy yourself a paintball gun CO2 canister. Refills are only $5.00 or so at most sports stores versus the $15.00 Sodastream cylinder exchange.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

Eddy120876

Bronx, NY
reply to DataDoc
so true . A few years back wine was bad for you now is not. To me I take everything with a zen philosophy. Everything has to be balance out. Then again i don't smoke or use drugs just some soda or beers once in a while