Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit

LazMan to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas

Re: Diesel vs. gasoline for new car purchase

The TDI's hold their value - but they age well, too... I wouldn't be worried buying a 5-6 year old Jetta, personally.

I'd expect to pay 8-9k for an '05 Jetta TDI, probably on the upper end for a wagon... Just as a ballpark.

Edit - fat-fingered the prices - damn number-pad... at 5-6k for an '05, I'd be on it like a fat kid on a Smartie...

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

said by LazMan:

I'd expect to pay 5-6k for an '05 Jetta TDI, probably on the upper end for a wagon... Just as a ballpark.

That struck me as rather low, so took a quick look around. Found a 2004 TDI Wagon for $9K asking, and a 2006 for just under $14K. Closer to what I would expect.

On another comment about diesel longevity, true, but in most cases of average driving a modern engine will outlast the rest of the car anyway. The real selling point of a diesel is fuel economy, plus potentially lower maintenance, but at the tradeoff of higher initial cost.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by Wolfie00:

said by LazMan:

I'd expect to pay 5-6k for an '05 Jetta TDI, probably on the upper end for a wagon... Just as a ballpark.

That struck me as rather low, so took a quick look around. Found a 2004 TDI Wagon for $9K asking, and a 2006 for just under $14K. Closer to what I would expect.

Oops - thinking one thing, typed another... Good call.