Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9

Re: They can pick and choose whatever they want

said by openbox9:

Yep, I don't see the problem with CBS not airing specific advertising. It is their prerogative on how to run the business and enjoy the financial implications of their decisions.

I agree. I am sure CBS will carry Sodastream ads - just not on the SuperBowl when the ad mocks their biggest advertisers.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

What is Coke and Pepsi going to do? Stop advertising on America's most popular network that has 8 of the 10 highest rates shows?.

Sure, they could leave, and not be seen by anyone, at least until The Walking Dead is back on the air in first run.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

said by skeechan:

What is Coke and Pepsi going to do? Stop advertising on America's most popular network that has 8 of the 10 highest rates shows?.

Do Coke and Pepsi even need to advertise? Who in America does not know Coke and the has-been, Pepsi?

And I can't remember the last show I watched on CBS other than the Super Bowl.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Awareness isn't enough. Advertisers need to constantly entice to generate sales.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to skeechan

MVM

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

Conceivably, yes. The people that watch one of those 8 shows likely also watch shows on some other network too. Either bottler could decide that they will take their advertising elsewhere and still reach just as many people. The bottlers could live without CBS...and CBS can live without them.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

A show like NCIS gets more viewers than the crossprogramming on NBC, ABC, FOX and CW combined.

So even if they ran the same commercial on the 4 other major networks at the exact same time, they would be reaching fewer people than the single add running on CBS. And it isn't like it is close. Last week NCIS beat the other 4 networks combined by nearly 7 million viewers. It is even worse for competitors during sports programming, particularly in key demos. Where are they going to run ads when the key demo is watching NFL or NBA on CBS?

Losing Coke and Pepsi ad buys would be painful for anyone which is why CBS kisses their ass.
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to skeechan

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

Awareness isn't enough. Advertisers need to constantly entice to generate sales.

I get that for new products and new brands but Coke and Pepsi are universal products. How many people will go into a restaurant and order a Coke? (or even a Pepsi?)

You also have those that will only buy one or the other. For me it's Coke - can't stand the taste of Pepsi. No amount of advertising is going to change that.

I get it if you're selling a new product (ie: Diet Coke 0 the 5th mega cola taste) but for regular old Coke and Pepsi nobody will forget they are there.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

For any kind of product you must continuously entice and remind. It isn't just for restaurants, it's at the supermarket where they have 50 competitors. Out of sight, out of mind, even for legendary brands like Coca-Cola. At the restaurant you may opt for an iced tea or a beer if you saw a commercial recently. If they slow advertising, they will lose marketshare and sales, especially now that people are looking to avoid calorie filled sugar drinks like Coke and Pepsi.

Who doesn't need to advertise are public utilities like Southern California Edison, as if you can get power somewhere else.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

This.

Keeping brand awareness is really the whole point of advertising. Which is why the best superbowl ads are ones people will discuss.

Interesting enough the blackout caused spontaneous advertising by the companies on Twitter. Reportedly Audi offered to send LEDs to Mercedes Benz USA(the naming rights owner of the Superdome.)

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to skeechan

MVM

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

So even if they ran the same commercial on the 4 other major networks at the exact same time, they would be reaching fewer people than the single add running on CBS.

That's one time slot on one day on one channel. There are thousands of alternative time slots to advertise in. It's from a few years ago, but this article demonstrates what I mean:
quote:
NCIS beat Glee by 82% in total viewers
Glee beat NCIS by 15% with adults 18-49
Glee beat NCIS by 92% with adults 18-34

With Pepsi and Coke, their target audience isn't in the 55-60 year old demographic CBS averages. 55-60 year olds have been drinking coke or Pepsi for slightly less than 55-60 years. They know what they like. They are likely not to be swayed by a 30-second spot. The 18-34 year old market however it far more impressionable, and even more so when you also include their pre-adolescent/tween/early-teen kids that may also be watching.

It is even worse for competitors during sports programming, particularly in key demos. Where are they going to run ads when the key demo is watching NFL or NBA on CBS?

Yeah, because it's not like Pepsi or Coke could advertise on Fox, ESPN, NBC, or NFL Channel for football (special event programming excluded). I really don't think they even care about advertising during NBA games on CBS now since CBS doesn't carry NBA games outside of select O&O markets.

Losing Coke and Pepsi ad buys would be painful for anyone which is why CBS kisses their ass.

CBS can fill the slots. It's not that hard for prime time television. But why piss off two hands that already feed you to make room for a 3rd hand that has a few crumbs? Combined, Pepsi and Coke spend over a billion dollars each year in advertising. Soda Stream had less then 1/4 that in total revenue.

It's not like this is news program and CBS was exercising control over editorial content. CBS wasn't covering up some horrendous news story about Coke or Pepsi because they were advertisers. And it's not the same as the Hopper issue with Dish and CNET. Both of those things mess with journalistic integrity. This was just doing business.
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to skeechan

to skeechan
Guess I'm not the target demographic then. I actually think for myself.

If I want beer, seeing a Coke ad is not going to make me want a Coke instead.
If I'm in the mood for a Mountain Dew I'm not going to go for a Mello Yello because of a Coke ad.
If I want soda at home I'm going to shop on price and the house brands are quite good now. If they are running a deal on Coke I may buy that.

I'm also not going to go gaga over Superbowl ads...

I won't use GoDaddy for my domain stuff even though I love their ads.

I will never put a pair of Junky Skechers on my feet even though their ad was OK (and their shoes are rip offs of Nike's Free line).

Chrysler/Dodge tried to pull the American heartstrings (and somewhat offended me) even though they are not an American company any more and have not been for a long while. Yet they want to fool people into thinking they are.

I won't drink a Bud but loved their commercial.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

4 edits

skeechan to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru
That was a few years ago because Glee isn't up against NCIS. NCIS is on Tuesdays and Glee Thursdays. Raising Hope is on Fox Tuesday and in 18-49 NCIS double Raising Hope's rating.

»tvbythenumbers.zap2it.co ··· /167315/

Meanwhile on Thursday, Glee is soundly beaten by Person of Interest on CBS in the 18-49 demo by over 50%. Glee seems to only be able to beat PoI when PoI is in rerun while Glee is first run AND follows American Idol. Otherwise Glee has trouble getting into the top 25 shows in that demo. That affects ad buys as advertisers would only consider Glee under those circumstances. Otherwise they can advertise elsewhere and get more viewers, particularly on CBS.

»tvbythenumbers.zap2it.co ··· /167587/

Here is last week's 18-49 numbers and they're dominated by CBS.

But Coke's demo is more than 18-49. Their demo is everyone with a heartbeat. This isn't Sony with the Playstation. And CBS is a ratings juggernaut...everyone wants to advertise on those shows. CBS needs Coke, Coke needs CBS.
skeechan

1 edit

skeechan to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
It also isn't about individuals. It is about planting the thought in a percentage of the 50 million watching. You aren't ever going to get 100% of people to buy your product based on a single ad or a group of ads. They have to be inclined to purchase the product anyway and advertising entices them to follow through on that inclination.

Meanwhile I hate Godaddy's ads so much I moved my registrations to name.com. I also saw the Jeep ad as pandering and gave me zero reason to consider buying a Jeep. They aren't effective ads and in 3 weeks no one will care because the content doesn't stick with the viewer. The Dodge buy was a good ad for the Farm Bill but not much else.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to itguy05

MVM

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

I actually think for myself.

You lost all credibility with that contradiction there.
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

said by cdru:

said by itguy05:

I actually think for myself.

You lost all credibility with that contradiction there.

Why? I love sexy ads as much as the next guy. My reason for not using GoDaddy is 2 fold:

1. They run their stuff on Windows/IIS and I refuse to patronize businesses that use Microsoft technology on the Internet if I can avoid it.
2. They are more expensive than my current host.

If they were cheaper and used Apache on Linux I'd probably use them, because of their ads.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

How about their support (and eventual flip flop) over SOPA?
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

said by skeechan:

How about their support (and eventual flip flop) over SOPA?

Forgot about that. So no I wouldn't use them no matter what. But do like their ads.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

If they were cheaper and used Apache on Linux I'd probably use them, because of their ads.

My GoDaddy account is hosted on a Linux server running Apache and PHP and has been for about 10 years. It's $4.95/mo. I don't see how it could be much cheaper.
»support.godaddy.com/help ··· -account
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

said by Thespis:

said by itguy05:

My GoDaddy account is hosted on a Linux server running Apache and PHP and has been for about 10 years. It's $4.95/mo. I don't see how it could be much cheaper.
»support.godaddy.com/help ··· -account

That's what I pay Hostmonster and they are 100% Linux, have great customer support, and don't use Windows for their critical infrastructure. I avoid sites with .asp/.aspx in them like the plague they are.