PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt announced

Click for full size
This is so awesome--they've covered most of the material in the novels and have now gone beyond it. I can't wait until next year!!!
said by Gematsu :

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt announced
Coming to PCs and "high-end platforms" in 2014.

The game once again stars Geralt, his memory now restored, who is done fighting for others. His new missions include everything from solving mysteries to slaying monsters. And there will be no chapters, acts, or artificial break-points to slow him down.

Wild Hunt is set in a world 20 percent bigger than that of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and 40 times larger than that of The Witcher 2—one so large that it takes 30 to 40 minutes to cross on horseback. (Boat, foot, and fast-travel for previously visited locations are also travel options.)

According to the mag, Geralt can ‘seamlessley’ cross the game world with no loading screens to disturb him. This is because the team felt it missed the freedom of open-world games such as Skyrim.

When traveling, points of interest will always be in sight. Players will explore dark caves, embattled villages, decaying ruins, and other areas. Based on where you are in the world, you’ll come across certain mini-games, too. Skellige, for example, has a knife toss mini-game through which you can earn exclusive rewards.

The game’s narrative is said to offer three forms:
Lowest Level: Free-form activities such as crafting, monster slaying (which seems to be more extensive in the third iteration), and going on quests. (There are over 100 hours of hand-scripted quests. These include helping villages and engineering the succession of the Skellige kings. Though, I think the latter would apply to the Next Level.)
Next Level: The political situation of the Nilfgaardian invasion is resolved through a core plot line for each area, including Skellige, Novigrad, and No Man’s Land.
Final Level: Geralt’s main storyline, his search for his loved ones, and the chase of the Wild Hunt.

[read more at link]

Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

This is like Witcher lore + Skyrim open world. Gonna be awesome!

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

That does sound pretty awesome and BIG. Sounds like a world you can just get lost in.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

A lot more information here: »www.reddit.com/r/gamerne ··· nounced/

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

This is like Witcher lore + Skyrim open world. Gonna be awesome!

I'm withholding excitement.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Was just about to post it.

Here's a nice summary with a lot of the changes/game mechanics being discussed.

»gamingeverything.com/391 ··· nformer/

I bolded some of the wowsies.
- The team felt it missed the huge freedom of open-world games like Skyrim
- Proper mounted combat still being tested
- Currently not a definite part of the game
- Horses will be in, though, since they’re important for navigation
- Ships float on the water in true physics interactions
- Team has doubled in size
- No chapters, acts, or any artificial break-points
- Geralt can seamlessly cross from one end of the world to the other thanks to REDengine 3
- No loading screens while traveling in the open world
- Can explore on foot, by horseback, and via boat
- Pursue your long-lost love, play the game of empires on behalf of the northern kingdoms that still claim independence, and thwart the nefarious Wild Hunt
- Fast travel: instantly revisit any discovered location
- Director Konrad Tomaszkiewicz: “A huge goal is to keep the high quality o four quests, with all the cinematics and impressive events and moments.”
- Point of interest will always be in sight
- Players will be beckoned to explore dank caves, embattled villages, decaying ruins, etc.
- Over 100 hours of hand-scripted quests
- Quests: help villagers, engineer the succession of the Skellige kings, etc.
- Use monster hunting for adventure, incoming, and unique rewards
- There are mini-games based on the area of the world
- Ex: Skellige has knife-throwing
- Gain exclusive rewards from mini-games
- Don’t have to complete mini-games to proceed in the story
- Monsters, bandits, traders, animals, and more will attack anyone they deem hostile
- Enemies don’t scale to the player’s level
- Slaying monsters, fighting hostile humans in the different forms they come in, collecting items, leveling up are in the game
- World 40 times larger than the last game
- Three different aspects to narration
- Lowest level: free-form activities like monster hunting, crafting, individual standalone quests
- Second step: political situation and Nilfgaardian invasion is resolved through the core plotline of the major areas (Skellige, Novigrad, No Man’s Land)
- Each land has its own storyline
- Can abandon the storyline, but will have repercussions later
- Not doing a plotline is a choice the player has
- Main narrative: search for Geralt’s loved ones and conflict with the Wild Hunt
- Multiple branches of narratives that feed into each other
- Don’t have to do anything outside the main storyline to beat the game
- Could have help in a main-line encounter from an ally you gained in the Skellige archipelago if you’ve completed certain quests in certain ways
- Major events in the main storyline are “gates” for the state of the world
- Ex: village threatened by bandits might be abandoned after certain events if the player doesn’t help
- Weather effects are dynamically generated and fully modeled as real volumetric clouds rather than being simply painted on the skybox
- In contrast to the last game, Geralt encounters communities and individuals with monster-related problems that need solving
- There aren’t contract-like assignments this time
- Press the left trigger to turn on Geralt’s witcher senses
- Can glean information from a crime scene upon discovering it
- Within range of a scene of interest, the mechanic conveys clues to the player through the witcher muttering to himself and/or visual depictions of past events that represent Geralt’s reasoning
- Time of day and other conditions determine where monsters appear and their abilities
- Can strike critical areas in combat based on how much you learn about monster anatomy and tactics
- The team is deciding between using a handful of in-combat special moves for particular attacks and a slow-motion quick-time event style
- Monsters you defeat leave otherwise unobtainable alchemical and crafting ingredients needed for making of unique items, potions, mutagens
- These allow Geralt to gain special powers and upgrades in the new mutation development tree
- These kills serve as the witcher’s primary method of income
- Moving more toward romance and away from shallow sexual encounters
- “We want to treat it maturely like we did in The Witcher 2. We are not bringing sex cards back.”
- Witcher 3 doesn’t have completely different environments based on singular choices due to the open world, but there are similarly impactful decisions
- You’ll be involved with mutually exclusive storylines and situations based on certain momentous choices
- Won’t be on the same level as Witcher 2, however
- Game mechanics based on previous games, but the team is revisiting many details
- Backward difficulty curve being addressed
- Reworking the flow of combat
- 96 animations for Geralt’s combat moves (last game had 20)
- Game has a “weighting” system for the camera to help keep the biggest threats in frame at all times
- Combat system: three big changes to solve the problem of being locked into long animations
- Every button press mapped to a single strike
- Each move takes a roughly equivalent time to perform
- Can always interrupt your current action to immediately dodge or block
- Can block/dodge when out of stamina, but you’ll be staggered
- Team wants to make the combat “more intimate”
- “You don’t run – in the Witcher 2 you were running constantly. You walk, but your attacks are very fast. Your opponents also walk but they have charges and things like that.”
- Geralt’s dodge roll replaced by a pivot move
- It retains its defensive utility without game-breaking mobility
- Attacks faster than in The Witcher 2
- Enemy AI completely rebuilt
- No scripted boss encounters
- One boss: ice giant
- Roughly a dozen types of interactive objects
- Ex: Can irritate a wasp with the telekinetic Aard sign to make a damaging distraction for his foes and disperse the swarm with the fiery Igni sign once the wasp swarm becomes a problem
- Magical signs are retooled
- Each of the five signs has a basic form such as Igni’s new flamethrower effect
- If the player advances down the magic tree as Geralt levels up, can unlock a second form of the sign
- For Igni, would unlock a 360-degree blast that immolates anything close
- Yrdren’s small trap can be changed into a bigger field that slows enemies
- Player retains the use of the basic form
- Other two trees are based on swordsmanship and alchemy
- Swordfighting: can unlock new strikes and boosts such as improved stamina and parrying
- Alchemy: mutation mechanic moved off to a separate development path, independent of the level-up process
- Alchemy specialization is based more on potions
- Improvements available for the horse and boat
- These aspects are still in development
- One idea: players could access their long-term storage stash from their horse as well as from inns
- Team knows about frustrating inventory management in Witcher 2
- Crafting still important for enhancing Geralt’s capabilities
- Can customize crafted items
- Some components are can be substituted for similar things
- Ex: monster scales instead of leather in a piece of armor
- This affects the properties of the final item
- Can find unique components as part of monster hunts or questlines
- Combine these with special recipes to make artifacts of immense power
- Each armor piece has a unique appearance
- Armor has improved presentation and new cloth simulation
- Can visit a barber to change Geralt’s hairstyle

TigerLord

Canada

to Krisnatharok
I was so excited for TW2 that I ended up being disapointed at first. The stupid tutorial in the beginning, the AWFUL inventory. Seriously... awful. Skyrim's UI was just as awful but the modding community saved it with SkyUI.

Why do devs think it's OK to make a shitty interface? IT'S THE CORE OF THE GAME! If you make navigating the game a difficult chore it will affect everything else.

And that stupid medallion that made things glow orange... awful too. A highlight key has been used in RPG since I've played them.

Stop changing the simple things that work.

I'm glad to see it is on the list.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I didn't mind the quirks second one, once it was friggin optimized (my 580 was crying the whole time)--it was such an improvement over the first.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I'm really enthused about this. CD Projekt is really making itself into the company to watch out for.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Looks great. Can't wait.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

People better start upgrading. Crysis 3, Star Citizen, this... graphics requirements are going to be picking up again with the release of next gen consoles.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Holy shit, an open world Witcher sequel?

I can say, TW2 is pretty much on a set of rails. Not much exploring.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I didn't really mind. You could go anywhere in the Chapter. It told the story nicely and kept you moving forward, but it sucked if you wanted to go back and complete a quest you skipped.

Hopefully this sets a good balance between compelling you forward yet leaving you free to explore.

If you're not careful, it will turn out like Skyrim, which is the best game you'll never finish.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I can only imagine what this 3rd installment will look like graphically.

The second one looks amazing, if you have the hardware to run it.

So yeah, I sense a GPU upgrade in the near future.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

For the unblocked:

»www.thewitcher.com/
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· sYuPIKco

And: »www.gameinformer.com/p/w ··· er3.aspx

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
Yeah going to upgrade probably as well Q3 or Q4. Switching from freakin' AMD to Intel.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

1 recommendation

me1212 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

I AM SOOOOOOOO READY FOR THIS!!!!! I would like to know what they mean by "Coming to PCs and "high-end platforms" in 2014." high end platforms but eh.

Wonder how much more resource demanding it will be. TW2 wasnt very cpu heavy but even my 7950 cant max it at >25fps when uber sampling is on(only playing at 1650x1050). I may have to overvolt+overclock(well overclock more) it to get more fps out of it... Or buy a new gpu, or system depending on when I get my bachelors degree, if i wait until 2015 to buy tw3. Yep tw series is totally worth complete system upgrade to me.

this is the best news I've heard all day!

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by me1212:

I would like to know what they mean by "Coming to PCs and "high-end platforms" in 2014." high end platforms but eh.

That probably means next-gen consoles, excluding Nintendo.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

I figured as much... Lets just hope it doesn't suffer too much from consollitis . Granted TW2 didn't really have much if any, so lets hope cd project red keeps it up.
me1212

1 recommendation

me1212 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
TW2 is $10 for the steam midweek madness »store.steampowered.com/a ··· p/20920/

and TW1 is $5 »store.steampowered.com/a ··· p/20900/

I don't mean to try and hijack a thread, but I figured some people reading this may want to play the first two if they haven't already, and for $15 you can get both right now.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

That's really a steal, although I'd skip TW1 and just wikipedia the storyline. The combat was pretty bad in it.

TK421
Premium Member
join:2004-12-19
Canada

TK421

Premium Member

To each their own. I loved the first Witcher, great game, though the click-timing combat was enjoyable to me I agree it's not everyone's cup 'o tea. The easy combat system isn't necessarily a knock against it... some of us don't mind a really good story-telling rpg that's maybe a little less challenging in combat only. Witcher 1 has a hell of a good story to discover as you play, not read about in a wiki.

This news gives me something to to look forward to. I have plenty of faith in CDP-Red to deliver the goods.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
I agree, about the only thing I don't like about tw is the combat. Graned for the $2.50 I paid for it in the fall sale i'd say it was money well spent for how much fun I've gotten from it.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
Oh man so tempted to buy TW2, I went 3/4 into the first one until I could not take the combat anymore.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

1 edit

me1212

Do it man. I have played both(well havent finished tw1 yet but you get what I'm saying) it is FAR worlds better in tw2. You use the mouse buttons to swing the sword kinda like a 3rd person skyrim only it works better. You use can set your witcher powers to q(I think, I don't remember for sure I think I put it on a different button) or use the number row at the top to fire them. Eventually you get a parry skill and if you spend the upgrades a counter skill.

TL;DR. Get it, the combat is drastically better in tw2. And if a KB+M isn't your style you can use a controller.

EDIT: forgot to mention when you buy ether witcher game on steam you get it for free on gog. Not just the game but all the extras. Guide sound track, art a comic. And for those who want it Triss' playboy shoot for tw2.

TigerLord

Canada

to Krisnatharok
Steam is running a 50% off sale on TW2 right now.

Hard to pass up.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Screenshots are out.

»www.onlysp.com/2013/02/0 ··· =gallery

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

Steam is running a 50% off sale on TW2 right now.

Hard to pass up.

I am getting my copy tonight.

So many games, so little time.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Its also $10 on GOG.com now too, both are 50% off on steam and gog.com. Personally I'd get the gog one because no drm.