uniqs

fred_413523
@spcsdns.net

fred_413523 to Max Signal

Anon

to Max Signal

Re: Recommend a 4G WiMax Antenna?

said by Max Signal:

The antenna that they sell at Millenicom works great on 2500 mhz , It gives about 14 DB gain on WiMax frequencies.

If I'm AT -80 TO -84 what kind of numbers should i expect, -72 to -76 or so?

if i can just get decent signal i think there's plenty bandwidth available. seemed to be getting up to 5-8 mbps a few times when downloading a file but usually less than 1 mbps with the current setup.
Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

-80 to -84 is an acceptable signal , the antenna Millenicom offers should get you in the -70 - -75 range . Make sure you put on a ferrous metal surface ( for a ground plane ) by a window . Even better if you can get it outdoors . That eliminates the chance of interference you might be getting indoors.

fred_342543
@107.43.164.x

fred_342543

Anon

said by Max Signal:

-80 to -84 is an acceptable signal , the antenna Millenicom offers should get you in the -70 - -75 range . Make sure you put on a ferrous metal surface ( for a ground plane ) by a window . Even better if you can get it outdoors . That eliminates the chance of interference you might be getting indoors.

thanks. -80 to -84 is only getting me 1 to 2 bars out of 6, fwiw. will follow the rest of the advice. i never knew about the ground plane.
Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

bars mean nothing ! It is the RSSI reading that is important

fred_3645834
@107.38.98.x

fred_3645834 to Max Signal

Anon

to Max Signal
said by Max Signal:

Make sure you put on a ferrous metal surface ( for a ground plane ) by a window . Even better if you can get it outdoors . That eliminates the chance of interference you might be getting indoors.

ok, i tested it on a metal generator and tbh i didn't notice much signal gain - probably not the kind of "ground plane" that you would recommend i guess as its kind of thin metal.

i could pick a few of those solid iron things (roughly 8 x 8 i would guess) by the railroad track that they use to connect the rails to the wooden railroad ties or maybe i should to go to a scrapyard to get an thick iron plate(?)

i guess there's a possibility that the antenna connector on my modem is faulty.