Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

Thoughts on new computer

I'm halfway through a computer upgrade and am debating on whether or not to wait for Haswell or bite the bullet and go for a build now.

I currently have x2 - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···r%207950 - MSI TwinFrozer 7950's

Power Supply - 850W - Gold - Modular - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17139011

128 GB Crucial SSD - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20233395

i'm thinking of going with this from pcpartpicker.com

PCPartPicker part list: »pcpartpicker.com/p/BDE7
Price breakdown by merchant: »pcpartpicker.com/p/BDE7/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: »pcpartpicker.com/p/BDE7/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter) - 2011 socket
Motherboard: MSI Big Bang - XPower II XL ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Newegg) - 2011 socket
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($189.99 @ Newegg) - Quad Channel Ram
Case: Rosewill THOR V2 ATX Full Tower Case ($129.51 @ Amazon)
Total: $849.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-05 12:16 EST-0500)

I'm looking to be able to upgrade the CPU as needed later on in the lifecycle of this build. I normally build and keep for ~2ish years and then upgrade and see how long it lasts.

currently running a Q6600, 8 gb 1066 ram, and one of the twin frozer's now. I have a 27" 2560x1440 monitor and another 24" 1900x1200 monitor but I only play using the 27".

And yes, i will be using the computer for more than just gaming. Photoshop, CAD, etc.

I live about 2 hours from a Microcenter, which is where I bought the GPU's, power supply and SSD. I don't plan to overclock initially, and if i do I will purchase a better cpu cooler.

looking for some suggestions or improvement I can make on this build. Also, I prefer cases that have the ports on the front instead of the top but i haven't been able to find a case that fits XL-ATX motherboards that aren't ginormous and god awful looking.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating... you won't really be bottlenecking PCIe 3.0 x8 if you wanted to go with Ivy Bridge Z77 and an i5-3570K or i7-3770K.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Blockfire

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

I understand the bottlenecking issue, i'm trying to "futureproof" a little bit by going with the 2011 socket and later on having the option of graphics cards that can actually use the pci-e 3.0 to it's fullest extent and being able to, hopefully, drop in another CPU later, since the 1155 socket will rendered obsolete (ish) with Haswell (on the 1150 socket) and the 4XXX series of CPU's (on the 2011 socket) come out. Am i correct that Intel will not be manufacturing chips for the 1155 socket once Haswell and the new Ivy Bridge chips actually drop?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

That's correct. Haswell (1150) will replace Ivy Bridge (1155), and Ivy Bridge-E (2011) will replace Sandy Bridge E (2011).

Ivy Bridge-E isn't dropping until Q3-2013, now. So going with 2011 and the 3820 is a good option, as it lets you upgrade the CPU later.

»www.guru3d.com/news_story/8_core···013.html
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Blockfire

None of this matters if your Internet is still shit.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Blockfire

I have a hard time wrapping my head around spending $300 on a mobo. You can upgrade a lot of $85 mobos into the future for $300.

If you have the money and don't care about how much it costs, go for it. I'm sure it's a kick ass board.

Blockfire

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

it's not necessarily the features, it's the socket i'm interested in. I want to be able to drop a new processor in it in two years or so. This is the price I pay for next-gen equipment. There are slightly cheaper boards out, but this is the best "bang" for my buck I could find.

Blockfire

Wichita, KS
reply to Archivis

new interwebs, ballin on 30/10 now mang

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

welcome to second world internet

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Blockfire

I get it Block. Just goes to prove to myself that I'm no true enthusiast because I just couldn't ever bring myself to pay those prices. lol

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

The cheapest 2011 motherboard is $190, not too bad.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13157289

Blockfire

Wichita, KS
reply to Krisnatharok

it sucks that I live so close to the Google 1GB lines but no go here in wichita and from some rumors, I hear they are more than likely(?) expanding into houston at some point?

Blockfire

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

welcome to second world internet

apparently us country folk don't need fast internet, even though I live in the biggest city in the state.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

The more I look, the more I am absolutely convinced that this is one of the best 2011 motherboards out there.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Blockfire

said by Blockfire:

it's not necessarily the features, it's the socket i'm interested in. I want to be able to drop a new processor in it in two years or so. This is the price I pay for next-gen equipment. There are slightly cheaper boards out, but this is the best "bang" for my buck I could find.

I have the Asus P8X79 Deluxe LGA2011 motherboard. I had an Amazon Coupon so I only paid about ~$160 for it if I recall correctly. Its a ~$380 motherboard.

However, you seem to be trying to future-proof your build and I don't think that is very realistic.

Ivy Bridge-E / EP will presumably be the last upgrade for the LGA2011 socket just like Ivy Bridge will be the last upgrade for LGA1155. Therefore there will be no upgrades on your cited timeline of "two years or so".

The buck, in all likelihood, stops here in 2013. I wouldn't expect more then that,...

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Krisnatharok:

The more I look, the more I am absolutely convinced that this is one of the best 2011 motherboards out there.

This sucks, I was all prepared to buy this, and it just jumped to $220 shipped.
--

Blockfire

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

I'm really looking at this board too, it has all of the features I have in my "required" list.

the only cons I can find are only two dedicated x16 pci-e 3.0 slots, half as much maximum RAM, and a lower natively supported RAM speed, 1866 to 1600

it is a smaller board so it will fit in more cases, especially the Fractal R4 I was originally wanting, I can't really see myself running any quad SLI/Crossfire setups ( which, even on the MSI board I would only be able to run in x16/x16/x16/x8 anyway) and I would be amazed if anyone ever actually needed 128GB of ram on a gaming/work computer.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Reddit's enthusiast subreddit, GamingPC (GaPC), really really likes the Gigabyte UD3 and UP4 over all others--it supposedly is very close to the Rampage IV, but over $100 cheaper.

Here's my thread (cross-posted from DSLR): »www.reddit.com/r/gamingpc/commen···9_board/

--