Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zephxiii

join:2012-12-12
Fort Wayne, IN

inet outage = no connectivity to PBX...

I know the subject is amusingly simple it seems

We had an internet outage today, and even though our Asterisk PBX is inside the building, and the phones are configured to connect to the LAN IP of the PBX (not using hostname) they still lost all connectivity to the PBX for some reason.

I'm wondering why that is. Could it have something to do with externalip=(WAN IP)??

It doesn't seem the issue is very obvious! And what i mean by no connectivity as in they couldn't connect to the PBX to check voicemail or or call other internal phones.

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:21

Apparently, there is a long-standing Asterisk bug, which causes all calls to fail if there is no reply to DNS lookups. One solution involves running BIND on the Asterisk box or on another local server. See »www.pbxinaflash.com/community/in···mal.245/

zephxiii

Fort Wayne, IN

Ah that explains it, thanks. I'll have to read up on that.

WhyADuck
Premium
join:2003-03-05
kudos:1
reply to Stewart

said by Stewart:

Apparently, there is a long-standing Asterisk bug, which causes all calls to fail if there is no reply to DNS lookups. One solution involves running BIND on the Asterisk box or on another local server. See »www.pbxinaflash.com/community/in···mal.245/

Just as a data point, I tried that around the time it was first posted, and for me at least it did not work — the first time we lost Internet connectivity, extension-to-extension calls still would not go through. I don't know if I did it wrong or if the method shown there only works in certain situations or what, but what's really sad is that this longstanding Asterisk bug was never fixed (note that "fix" was posted in 2007 and it was a longstanding bug even back then). It's one of the major reasons I'm ready to say "good bye" to Asterisk, and look at something that is based on FreeSWITCH (Blue Box, FusionPBX, etc.)

zephxiii

Fort Wayne, IN
reply to zephxiii

Maybe we just need to rally up as much people as we can and make a bunch of noise to get their motivation started....squeaky wheel always gets the grease.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
reply to zephxiii

said by WhyADuck:

what's really sad is that this longstanding Asterisk bug was never fixed (note that "fix" was posted in 2007 and it was a longstanding bug even back then).

said by zephxiii:

Maybe we just need to rally up as much people as we can and make a bunch of noise to get their motivation started....squeaky wheel always gets the grease.

Post #9 uses dnsmasq to work around the issue.